filmlover

Fly Me to the Moon | 7/12/2024 | Apple/Sony | Scarlett Johansson, Channing Tatum

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Doesn't Woody Harrelson actually believe we faked the moon landing?

Woody "joked" about Covid vaccine conspiracies in an SNL monologue and is/was some level of 9/11 truther. So believing another conspiracy would fit in with that, but all the search results I got just brought up this movie.

• Like 1

I hate the whole "Will they make it or fake it" line.

They seem to be doing everything they can to alienate a core audience for this film...people who are fascinating by the Space Program.

This could’ve been a nice PG-13 alternative to DM4/D&W/Twisters, but there’s just no buzz. Maybe it’ll be a sleeper hit (or sleeper “not massive flop”) but Argylle numbers or less seems right.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

This could’ve been a nice PG-13 alternative to DM4/D&W/Twisters, but there’s just no buzz. Maybe it’ll be a sleeper hit (or sleeper “not massive flop”) but Argylle numbers or less seems right.

I think the concept just comes across as weird and difficult to market tbh. A little too poking-the-bear-esque in these times when baseless conspiracy theorists have become more loud and obnoxious than ever thanks to media advancements. Argylle numbers would be a win of sorts.

• Like 1

It just seems too stiff to spark interest. Think Apple's own For All Mankind scratches the itch well enough these days for space race revisionism and there doesn't seem to be much romantic chemistry here.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think the concept just comes across as weird and difficult to market tbh. A little too poking-the-bear-esque in these times when baseless conspiracy theorists have become more loud and obnoxious than ever thanks to media advancements. Argylle numbers would be a win of sorts.

Basic problem is the core audience for this, people who are interested about the space program...hate the Moon Hoax crap with a passion.  It is not even a laughing matter for them...except to laugh at the stupidity of the conspiracy theory.The film might well end up doing that, but you can't tell it from the marketing.

Edited by dudalb
  • Haha 1

I mean if everyone takes it too personally or seriously that's not the film's fault. Who cares about conspiracy theorists and whether this appeals to them or not? Maybe it's just a funny caper film and that's it...

There is absolutely no buzz though so yeah, it's probably DOA. It's the kind of movie I may catch on a Tuesday if I'm so inclined.

1 hour ago, Insomnia said:

I mean if everyone takes it too personally or seriously that's not the film's fault. Who cares about conspiracy theorists and whether this appeals to them or not? Maybe it's just a funny caper film and that's it...

There is absolutely no buzz though so yeah, it's probably DOA. It's the kind of movie I may catch on a Tuesday if I'm so inclined.

Those of us who beleive that facts and the truth are important, and who think the conspiracy wackos are doing real damage to people. 

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Those of us who beleive that facts and the truth are important, and who think the conspiracy wackos are doing real damage to people. 

This is the only place I've heard anyone talk about conspiracy theorists latching on to the movie. You're trying to spin a controversy where there is none. Reminds me of a certain movie that came out in April this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This is the only place I've heard anyone talk about conspiracy theorists latching on to the movie. You're trying to spin a controversy where there is none. Reminds me of a certain movie that came out in April this year.

I think the problem is the marketing for this movie has been terrible.. At a time it's dam near impossible to get adult moviegoers off their butt to see star driven non tentpole movies the angle they are taking here is just weird and it is not working. 

Edited by emoviefan

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The war film that almost immediately dropped out of the public consciousness when everyone realized it was kind of a dud? At least that had buzz before it came out.

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I think the problem is the marketing for this movie has been terrible.. At a time it's dam near impossible to get adult moviegoers off their butt to see star driven non tentpole movies the angle they are taking here is just weird and it is not working. 

I genuinely forgot this film existed until today. Even with the strikes, KOTFM and Napoleon were still on the radar.

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The war film that almost immediately dropped out of the public consciousness when everyone realized it was kind of a dud? At least that had buzz before it came out.

I genuinely forgot this film existed until today. Even with the strikes, KOTFM and Napoleon were still on the radar.

Yeah following  that was Argyle. With this not looking to break out and it does not seem like that first Wolfs trailer blew anybody's socks off Apple is running out of time to prove they can have a critical and commercial theatrical hit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

It's a movie, dude. 🤣 There are a lot of movies out there that bend facts and lean into crazy theories and scenarios.

By this logic something like The Da Vinci Code was problematic. I think we have to give the average person a little more credit - a movie like this isn't going to do any harm or impact perception of what's real and what's not. 

Edited by Insomnia

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Da vinci code maybe not the best example to use. There was a lot of media hysteria about that one before it came out.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have been paying attention to all that at the time.