cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

I think some are drilling down too much into the audience metrics on Wonka. Yes if this were a summer release it might be a little concerning for great legs but for this time of year with the Post holiday everyday is a saturday that starts on Christmas day that will do. Yeah 300+ is probably unlikely but 200+ seems a lock. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm not really surprised that a distinctly British third adaptation of a British literary character isn't really breaking out in America. It's not like the same director's Paddington movies made all that much there either. Today's youth potentially not being familiar with Wonka as a character is another hurdle. Still, a $120M domestic total is not bad at all, especially in a genre that hasn't seen a real hit in years, and its overseas revenue should make up for any American shortcomings. I do think The Colour Purple, a movie with a story far more appealing to Americans, is going to steal its thunder and win December overall in America.

Its weird because they've made it British but not British. Chalamet isn't doing the accent, even though he can. The little girl is American. Some of the design seems pretty French. It's a 'no-place' which has become common in modern mass market entertainment. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thats a 41% drop from last Friday. The first "normal" drop so to speak, still its a little bummer, ive hoped for 1,5M+

That beeind said, the movie will cross a x3 multiplier this weekend, so really, theres nothing to complain.

Friday number also takes it over 60 WW.

• Like 1

Just now, JustWatching said:

Friday number also takes it over 60 WW.

Its getting closer and closer to possibly besting Shin Godzillas worldwide number (roughly 78M) to be the highest-grossing Toho Godzilla movie of all time worldwide. Would love to see that happen, but it will need a good holiday boost in the US to achieve it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm pleasantly surprised at Wonka's Friday and how much it went up from early estimates. It should have no trouble getting to a $40M opening and around $165M total stateside, if not even $200M depending on how it fares against The Colour Purple.

It and The Color Purple should Co-Excist pretty well. They may both be musicals but  it goes without saying the Target audiences are a little different.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm pleasantly surprised at Wonka's Friday and how much it went up from early estimates. It should have no trouble getting to a $40M opening and around $165M total stateside, if not even $200M depending on how it fares against The Colour Purple.

The fact they are both musicals makes just a very little group of people a target of both (the musicals geeks). For the rest I think they really have a different audience. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Wonka’s Friday is a real upbeat one. It has a bigger true Friday compared to ITSV despite ItSV theoretically should had some fan rush in its OD. 

Wonka’s fri to preview ratio is also better than trolls 3. I am hoping this isn’t a prelude to some terrible Sat bump, or else 40m is a done deal. 

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Really nice OD for Wonka. I wasn’t that interested in the project, but at this rate I’m happy for any (non right wing propaganda) movie that manages to be a hit.

. Was not aware that Barbie, Super Mario Bro's, Oppenheimer, Guardians 3 ASTV ect  were Right Wing Propaganda movies. But okay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

. Was not aware that Barbie, Super Mario Bro's, Oppenheimer, Guardians 3 ASTV ect  were Right Wing Propaganda movies. But okay.

Yeah I don't know what he is on about. I don't think any of those movies were right wing propaganda at all. 

Delicious OD for Wonka, with a very yummy increase from early estimates. The Saturday number will be tasty as well, im sure. A mouth-watering appetizer for the run that is to follow over the holidays.

• Like 1