Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

The Boys in the Boat having Early Access showings last Sunday + starting at 1:00 yesterday basically gave it a full opening day before Christmas. Pretty good start for it given the reviews were blah and it had no star power in front of the camera though.

Mostly incomplete but we know HG: BOSS, Trolls 3 and Wish continue to shed. I suspect Heron and Godzilla lose a bunch of theaters too to make way for this many new releases in the span of few days. Hope the newcomers can make decent amount of money to justify their scarify. 

Migration Universal Pictures 3,761   3,761  
The Color Purple Warner Bros. 3,152   New
The Boys in the Boat MGM 2,557   New
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes Lionsgate 1,680 2,509 -829
Trolls: Band Together Universal Pictures 1,630 2,210 -580
Wish Walt Disney 1,240 1,740 -500
The Holdovers Focus Features 316 316  
The Marvels Walt Disney 110 220 -110
Silent Night Lionsgate 97 203 -106
Killers of the Flower Moon Paramount Pictures 34 49 -15
Oppenheimer Universal Pictures 17 25 -8
All of Us Strangers Searchlight Pictures 6 4 +2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dallas said:

Maoyan is saying that Aquaman 2 has made $157M USD worldwide. Is this true?

I think that includes Xmas day estimates; the estimated total through Sun (reported yesterday) was $108M

52 minutes ago, Kon said:

I mean, people really loved the visual aspects of Avatar 2. That's the aspects of the movie all the critics really praise. It wouldn't be so weird that's the reason why it has so good legs (people didn't expect the movie could reach that level).

The story of Avatar 2 doesn't seem so liked. At least, the praise for Avatar 2 was never toward the story.

Critics also praised the story and worldbuilding. Most blockbusters don’t have great stories anymore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dallas said:

If true, then that means Aquaman will have roughly a 25/75 DOM/OS split including China. 

Holiday releases being less than 1/3rd domestic is fairly common. Avatar 2 did it last year, so did first Aquaman, and I think Wonka will as well (If those estimates hold up; China matching domestic opening is going to put a thumb on scale of that ratio)

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Holiday releases being less than 1/3rd domestic is fairly common. Avatar 2 did it last year, so did first Aquaman, and I think Wonka will as well (If those estimates hold up; China matching domestic opening is going to put a thumb on scale of that ratio)

Yep. And w/o China it's a 32/68 split. If legs are good OS, I can see this getting close to $350M.

OT, but I let all my kids pick their own Christmas specials for us to watch this year...

And while Merry Little Batman was really good, and the Bad Guys Christmas special and Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (Netflix 2022) were decent to good...ummm, It's A Wonderful Knife was the worst thing I've seen calling itself a Christmas movie since...well...I can't remember.  Apparently, it released somewhere in Nov 2023 and has 2 real actors in it...and it's AWFUL.  It's laughably awful.  It's what a freshman college student writes if they got told to update It's A Wonderful Life to modern times for a modern audience and they decide to ask ChatGPT to do the assignment 5 minutes before it's due.  That said, it was SO bad, I ended amused...so, was that the point?  Maybe.  Although my spouse mentioned he would have preferred having his toenails ripped out and hear fingernails on a chalkboard for the same 87 minutes, so you've been warned...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can Trolls 3 pass 100m? I am worried this is another TBG.

Also, I just want to say it out loud here, Migration is the best Illumination's movie to-date. This could be the least-funny of the bunch but at least the movie did manage to explore deeper into the story, unlike other Illumination movies that tend to rely on fart jokes and silly comedic action.  

CHRISTMAS DAY AM UPDATE: We told you it was going to be slow yesterday, and indeed it was with Warner Bros’ Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom and Wonka the top two highest grossing movies of the day with respectively $5M and $4.55M. Warners believes it can still get the James Wan directed DC movie to $40M in 4-days after a projected $12.3M today, +146% from Christmas Eve. 3-day came in at $27.7M. Wonka‘s second weekend is $18M, -54% for what’s shaping up to be a 4-day of $28M.

WB hanging onto that 12.3m today and 40m 4 day....narrator it didnt happen.

Looking at Theaters around me Im seeing a huge decrease in showtimes for Aquaman vs the weekend.  Color Purple easily has the most showtimes today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AniNate said:

This is the kind of thinking that has helped lead to this problem. Theaters need a variety of options, not just a few big hitters. Certainly doesn't do anyone any good if the studios spend boatloads of money on a movie and they still don't do any better. 

2023 is well ahead of 2022 in overall ticket revenue, so I'm not as concerned about the exhibition industry's health as the production industry's. I do appreciate big swings, but I'd much rather it come from a place of true creative ambition, not just throwing money at a project because they think they can get away with it. It's frankly anti-art to take the position that only big budget productions really matter.

The problem here is that "creative ambition" and "art" doesn't apply to purely commercial products like Hunger Games BOSS or Planet of the apes, which are spawns of existing IP that are living and thriving either on the built in fanbase and/or nostalgia and trying to milk what's left in the tank of their franchise, and are in no way trying to achieve something on an artistic level. 

We need a variety of options and mid-budgeted movies to make a comeback, but that should not come from downsizing the popular sagas into cheaper outcomes. Hence, why I specifically said that a potential Pirates of the carribean with a reduced budget and scope would be a terrible news for the industry, while an original IP at 100 M grossing 300 M would obviously be good.

Hunger Games as an example is especially jarring as it is coming from a place where it is strictly connected to the main saga (being direct prequels) and has a story/setting that could have been expanded in terms of locations and effects but was reduced into a mid-budget movie for no reason other than the fear of a flop. And as it stands, it still earned about half of what the last HG made, and maybe 1/4 in terms of tickets sold.

Big movies are not the only ones that matter, but these big IP are an extremely precious goldmine for the industry as a whole and should not be cheapened into smaller products with a smaller potential. They need to make better movies, focus on the writing and pacing, but still set the bar high to reach the maximum potential that the specific IP can achieve.

Wonka is a whole other story as it doesn't come from a huge franchise. 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire