Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

11 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

On the other hand, if you look at ispot anecdotes, at least that third party metric shows a clear reduction in aggregate tv spending at least post-pandemic. 

Well considering linear viewing is dwindling at a decent clip, it makes sense that total TV ad spending would be down as money likes to go where the eyeballs are.  Probably not Doom Loop territory, but maybe something adjacent to it.

But, sure, that also might be a factor.  How much is it chicken and how much is it egg, is the question.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I know it was a few pages back with @MovieMan89 leading the way (tagging him even though I'm not quoting any specific post so he knows about the convo here), but...

What even *IS* "heavy marketing" in this day and age of declining linear programming and scattered to the four winds internet media viewing?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Well, [INSERT COMPANY HERE] didn't bother to market [FILM OF CHOICE] much" and I think about all of the ads I did see for it.  And I don't even watch that much TV! Certainly not much non-sports TV at any rate.

But, like, if someone (and here I'm talking about a Hypothetical Someone and not anyone on this board) isn't watching broadcast/cable TV and has ad blockers installed while they surf the net and skips ahead of promos on places like YT or Twitch or wherever then how can one even know if something is being marketed to them or not?  How viral it is?  If it gets something on Fortnite?  If it somehow breaks through their bubble?

The above might sound sarcastic, but I truly don't mean it that way.  What I am saying is that the overall marketing landscape is even more fractured than it was 10 years ago, and it was pretty damn fractured then. It is getting easier and easier and easier with every single year that passes to just miss out on an advertising campaign that one might have been aware of even a few years prior.

I might be somewhat sympathetic to the virality argument, except getting viral on places like Twitter and TikTok is a very inexact science that I don't think Madison Avenue has cracked yet, esp for TikTok.  Sure once something has established itself as having viral juice behind it, marketing knows how to amplify it (see Barbenheimer).  But actually getting something virally launched in the first place? Don't think that nut has been reliably cracked yet. M3GAN and Smile might be success stories in that department (more the former than the later) but I think it's still in its infancy.  Especially on non-Twitter hangouts.

So then are we just judging by a Success Based Metric?  I.e. "Well, none of the kids/women/gamers/DEMO-OF-CHOICE I spoke to knew about it"?  I mean, fair enough if so.  But, like, then we get back to the original question?  Just what is marketing in an age when so many people are going out of their way not to see advertisements?  How does Hollywood target folks who don't want to be targeted?  Try to get some viral juice?  Hope The Almighty Algorithm that dishes ads on any given platform smiles upon them?  I really don't know.

Not that I have any answers here.  Just more examining the central question of "what even is marketing in anti-marketing age?"

Alleluia GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It's just hard to reach people in this day and age when a section of the population is intentionally cutting themselves off. That's why a lot of sites force people to disable their ad blockers now for browsing.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Universal will beat Disney for #1 studio of the year due to Wish and Marvels mega bomb. They are currently about 20m behind, Migration will put them ahead but not by much.

You talking worldwide or domestic?

46 minutes ago, Megajohn01 said:

Now its

Aquaman 2: 78%
migration: 86%
iron claw: 97% 

iron Claw’s score isn’t surprising after watching it on the 13th!

Ooh, A24's first A Cinemascore incoming?

Good score for Anyone But You, it's extremely difficult for R-rated comedies to score much higher than a B+ - even Bridesmaids and There's Something About Mary couldn't get above that grade.

Honestly these numbers are a lot better than I was expecting. It still would've been preferrable to see an actually big central tentpole like in previous years, but the wealth seems to be distributed fairly here at least. Aquaman 2 and Migration might both get to $100M, but poor word of mouth on the former and the latter not being received enthusiastically like Puss 2 was last year will prevent them from making much more methinks.

• Like 1

It's funny that for all of DC's shortcomings: Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, and even Joker and The Batman were all successful enough to get follow-ups. That's better than what a lot of other blockbuster hopefuls in the last decade got.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Migration A

Damn that's good, way better than what PostTrak indicated

14 minutes ago, dallas said:

Migration got an A

when posttrak and cinemascore say different things who should we trust? which one interviews the most people?

47 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Universal will beat Disney for #1 studio of the year due to Wish and Marvels mega bomb. They are currently about 20m behind, Migration will put them ahead but not by much.

This is a tricky take. If one include 20th century division, Disney did beat Universal but I know the practice has been separating them.  

1 hour ago, dallas said:

Puss in Boots nearly got there off a $12M opening, and Migration doesn't face any competition until Kung Fu Panda 4 in March. 

PIB2 WOM was off the chart, something that Migration doesn't have. In fact, its 86% VA on RT is the second lowest among 2023's major animation.

Mario: 95%

ATSV: 94%

Elemental: 93%

TMNT: 90%

Paw Patrol: 94%

Trolls 3: 92%

Wish: 81%

The only silver lining is that A cinemascore. Far better than what VA and Posttrak suggests.