Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Bad, bad, bad Saturday numbers. Definitely shifts perception of weekend for me tbh. Not sure Aquaman/Migration hit 100 from that. 30 mill gonna be tough for Anyone But You (and I assume Iron Claw) as well.

If Aquaman hits a $28M 3-day, it only needs 3.5x legs to hit $100M. I feel like this is a rash conclusion. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Sucks for Aquaman as i liked the first film, but like i said many times on here, the film is a part of a dead universe that everyone already knows is getting rebooted.

I mean i have no desire to see the film because of that, and i liked the first film!.

No idea why WB announced the reboot so early when they knew they still had multiple films coming for the defunkt universe, films that all pretty much flopped because of it.

Well once Gunn was hired, what were they supposed to do? Not say anything about the films Gunn was shepherding?  Try to be cute and play a wait-and-see game all the while leaks are pouring out everywhere about the DCEU being dead and buried?

Going Radio Silent wouldn't have really worked, either, I think.  No real elegant way to shift from one cinematic universe to another when one has so many movies in the pipeline. Ripping off the bandaid might have led to a bunch of high profile flops this year, but... Would they have really done that much better if it was an open secret that the DCEU was gonna be axed but nothing official had been said yet?

And even if so, how would that have effected Gunn's movies?  At least with the bandaid ripped off, we didn't have to hear stories about Cavil and Superman, or too many stories about how these new sets of stories would tie in with the older ones ("too many" since there still is some discussion due to this being a partial reboot - perhaps).

The other alternative would be to not hire Gunn in the first place until Aquaman 2 was in the rearview mirror, but... Who's to say he'd be available a year later?  Plus there's the year of devlopment lost (well, half a year thanks to the strikes).

Not really sure there was  a winning hand to play here.  Just "least bad" ones with various tradeoffs.

To put it another way, by "ripping off the bandaid" it forestalled the rise of another Restore the Synderverse style campaign from taking root this year, this time aimed at 'saving' the entire DCEU.  I could easily see a whole set of campaigns having been launched this year to try to pressure Gunn into keeping the DCEU in some form.  Tend to think one of those campaigns was enough for WB (two if one include the "Release the Ayers cut" folks out there) to last quite a while.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 10

Given that even the MCU has been suffering this year, I'm not sure the DCEU being dead even meant that much when it was always the weaker (and frankly more loosely connected) universe. They would've done a bit better but at this point I just don't buy it would've been a huge deal.

These 4 films were gonna bomb regardless.

Even bigger problem for WB, though, I'm not sure the ground is fertile for a reboot of a superhero universe now.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well once Gunn was hired, what were they supposed to do? Not say anything about the films Gunn was shepherding?  Try to be cute and play a wait-and-see game all the while leaks are pouring out everywhere about the DCEU being dead and buried?

Going Radio Silent wouldn't have really worked, either, I think.  No real elegant way to shift from one cinematic universe to another when one has so many movies in the pipeline. Ripping off the bandaid might have led to a bunch of high profile flops this year, but... Would they have really done that much better if it was an open secret that the DCEU was gonna be axed but nothing official had been said yet?

And even if so, how would that have effected Gunn's movies?  At least with the bandaid ripped off, we didn't have to hear stories about Cavil and Superman, or too many stories about how these new sets of stories would tie in with the older ones ("too many" since there still is some discussion due to this being a partial reboot - perhaps).

The other alternative would be to not hire Gunn in the first place until Aquaman 2 was in the rearview mirror, but... Who's to say he'd be available a year later?  Plus there's the year of devlopment lost (well, half a year thanks to the strikes).

Not really sure there was  a winning hand to play here.  Just "least bad" ones with various tradeoffs.

To put it another way, by "ripping off the bandaid" it forestalled the rise of another Restore the Synderverse style campaign from taking root this year, this time aimed at 'saving' the entire DCEU.  I could easily see a whole set of campaigns having been launched this year to try to pressure Gunn into keeping the DCEU in some form.  Tend to think one of those campaigns was enough for WB (two if one include the "Release the Ayers cut" folks out there) to last quite a while.

You're working off the assumption that hiring Gunn is surely going to pay off dividends for DC... which doesn't seem to be a lock considering he has the same strategy as DC 2023 of pushing obscure D-List characters (including stuffing his Superman movie with them)

Also, announcing the reboot right on the MONDAY AFTER BLACK ADAM'S OW is probably the dumbest decision ever seeing how it immediately crippled THAT movie's legs too. Considering the hit piece published in The Wrap against Dwayne Johnson, the timing stinks of corporate politics too.

I'm not convinced they didn't go about doing this in one of the worst possible ways.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Also, announcing the reboot right on the MONDAY AFTER BLACK ADAM'S OW is probably the dumbest decision ever seeing how it immediately crippled THAT movie's legs too. 

This literally didn't happen. Gunn didn't announce the reboot until December. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

In a different timeline

Patty Jenkins trip to director jail was really put on the fast track.

And honestly, the December date for Transformers would probably be better than June in hindsight. Instead of being sandwiched in-between Spiderverse and The Flash, it’s only real completion would be the self-imploding Aquaman 2.