Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

34 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Gonna need to expand from 65% Black to more demos if we want this to go big...it was so far a total Woman King draw base...but that was expected with the huge presales shutting out most other bases b/c of screen availability...

Following the demo discussion, this is a longshot, but does anyone know the demographic breakdown for Dreamgirls back in 2006 (if such info was ever available?). Just curious, since it also opened (well, went wide(r) from 3 theaters to 800+) on a Christmas Monday. I remember seeing it that day with a predominantly Black audience (and had to buy for a showing several hours in advance since they were all selling out).

All I could find was Nikki Finke's writeup in Deadline which doesn't give percentages.

"The target audience had been African-Americans, gays and upscale whites. But now the movie is playing bigger than expected with white audiences in general."

Edited by KC7
it was 2006, not 2005

What amuses me the most about The Color Purple's demo is the 21% male over 25 vs the 4% male under 25.  With Aquaman drawing a large black male demo, it seems mom and dad (and grandma) were willing to let male grandkid go to a different movie, while male spouses got brought to this one...

18 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

it’s an open secret they cooked the books. Cameron has powerful accounting friends. 

This bitter grumbling might hold more weight if it didn't also report $1.6 billion internationally. You really can't just chalk all that up to "powerful accounting friends". And I say this as someone who didn't like Avatar 2.

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

This bitter grumbling might hold more weight if it didn't also report $1.6 billion internationally. You really can't just chalk all that up to "powerful accounting friends". And I say this as someone who didn't like Avatar 2.

Yeah, are we still doing this kind of "Because nobody around me see the movie, therefore the numbers must be fake" kind of non-sense? If so we will have every right to question the BO authenticity of first Captain Marvels and Aquaman now, since the sequel collapse so a lot from the predecessor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

TCP Broadway musical reached 1500 performances (original + revival). I don't think you can make that only with a black audience. I think there Is a space to have WOM upon others targets too. 

Yes that is true. The musical toured in many states years ago so other demographics will be familiar with it (without watching the original).

Edited by Tina

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Even though it sold like half the tickets of Avatar 1, there still needs to be an investigation into Avatar 2's box-office because nobody I know has seen it - from my circle of friends/family to the people I work with and most of them are what I'd call 'media savy'

Most people aren’t media savvy; these are the people who went to see ATWOW. I never really talk about movies at work, but I’m sure most people I know have seen it - the only movies they’ve ever brought up were Oppenheimer and Napoleon, and the latter was shaping up to be a big hit if WOM wasn’t so toxic haha.

This website loves to keep bringing up The Marvels and that’s a movie I still struggle to believe even exists - something reflective in the box office totals. I guess disassociating from the echo chambers we live in is an important qualifier for discussing box office totals, which is especially difficult since most public forums for film discussion are filled with teenagers who love superhero and big IP movies, so discussion will always be swayed in that direction when compared to other big movies like Avatar

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

What amuses me the most about The Color Purple's demo is the 21% male over 25 vs the 4% male under 25.  With Aquaman drawing a large black male demo, it seems mom and dad (and grandma) were willing to let male grandkid go to a different movie, while male spouses got brought to this one...

Honestly, I'm surprised than the audience for male over 25 (21%) is bigger than the audience for women under 25 (14%), since the Color Purple seems created to mainly appeal a female audience.

This movie isn't attracting under 25 people. 

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Then why bring up The Woman King in the first place? If it follows Dreamgirls, then it still gets to that number. 

Not sure what's so hard to get...

I answered the poster by stating that while the best outcome would be for the film to break out to other demos, that's not a guarantee, and Woman King is a recent example of a film with excellent reviews and audience reception that still didn't manage to draw more demos to it

Of course that doesn't mean TCP will go that way, and Dreamgirls is an example of the opposite - all I said was that being excessively skewing to one demo is not necessarily a good thing, because it's possible those other demos just never come through

I think WB's whole angle when Q4 earnings reports comes up or whatever is how they basically dominated Christmas with the 3 highest grossing films of the month (and even with Aquaman flopping, it comes off as a good month for them, which is why I think they are releasing all 3 so close together). Wondering if Migration has a shot to mess things up by beating Aquaman.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Not sure what's so hard to get...

I answered the poster by stating that while the best outcome would be for the film to break out to other demos, that's not a guarantee, and Woman King is a recent example of a film with excellent reviews and audience reception that still didn't manage to draw more demos to it

Of course that doesn't mean TCP will go that way, and Dreamgirls is an example of the opposite - all I said was that being excessively skewing to one demo is not necessarily a good thing, because it's possible those other demos just never come through

And if the same percentage stays consistent for The Color Purple as it did for The Woman King, then it still gets to $180,000,000+. So, what is so hard to get about that? 

The floppage of Wish is still the most confusing thing over this holiday season. Disney animated musicals releasing over Thanksgiving should be a license to print money. This one was rejected in a way not seen for a while outside Strange World. 

I haven't followed the marketing of it but I don't think there was a gay kiss or gay character controversy here, the songs felt like "We have Encanto at home" for the most part but that's never stopped Disney before. Add to that the huge 100th anniversary marketing campaign they tied to this movie and the director and screenwriters from Frozen to promote in the marketing and this entire endeavour just crashing is weird.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

And if the same percentage stays consistent for The Color Purple as it did for The Woman King, then it still gets to $180,000,000+. So, what is so hard to get about that? 

Confused Thinking GIF

Ok...let's try this one again. Yes, Woman King did do 10x its OD, but its OD was a regular friday, not christmas day, which boosts business considerably...