Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The floppage of Wish is still the most confusing thing over this holiday season. Disney animated musicals releasing over Thanksgiving should be a license to print money. This one was rejected in a way not seen for a while outside Strange World. 

I haven't followed the marketing of it but I don't think there was a gay kiss or gay character controversy here, the songs felt like "We have Encanto at home" for the most part but that's never stopped Disney before. Add to that the huge 100th anniversary marketing campaign they tied to this movie and the director and screenwriters from Frozen to promote in the marketing and this entire endeavour just crashing is weird.

The movie seems like made with an AI. The princess look Is so basic and already seen. Hair+ clothes + her face.   Same for the setting. While encanto looked amazing already from the promo and you can breath from that a story with all the latina culture (same for Oceania and her world) this seems a generic medieval european wood from Classic Disney so stereotyped with nothing new on the table. Just looks boring.

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The floppage of Wish is still the most confusing thing over this holiday season. Disney animated musicals releasing over Thanksgiving should be a license to print money. This one was rejected in a way not seen for a while outside Strange World. 

I haven't followed the marketing of it but I don't think there was a gay kiss or gay character controversy here, the songs felt like "We have Encanto at home" for the most part but that's never stopped Disney before. Add to that the huge 100th anniversary marketing campaign they tied to this movie and the director and screenwriters from Frozen to promote in the marketing and this entire endeavour just crashing is weird.

WOM and reviews sucked largely because the movie was mediocre and the songs sucked (also I think at this point, we can say Jennifer Lee isn’t a good storyteller). It was very mediocre. For a minute, it was on pace for a 50m five day tracking wise, then reviews gave it the first Rotten in almost twenty years putting it back on the 40m train and then audience WOM sucked outside of families plummeting to barely 30m.

35 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Then why bring up The Woman King in the first place? If it follows Dreamgirls, then it still gets to that number. 

Dreamgirls only expanded to 852 locations on Xmas day, before hitting over 2200 in mid-January after Oscar noms. Would not use as a comp for TCP, no expectation for it to be that backloaded after the holidays 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wishs' bombage imo has three main reasons that are more influential for the box office perfomance than the pros you mention here.

1) Disney+ has basically killed any reason to watch Disney animated movies in theaters. Familys have been conditioned to watch any Disney animated product at home on Disney+, since that is way cheaper, less time-consuming and everyone knows any Disney movie that is out in theaters will be on Disney+ in three months anyway.

Disney+ is so much more influentual (negatively) on Disney movies in contrast to lets say a Universal animated movie because its so much bigger as a streaming plattform than Peacock or HBO Max etc. Most familys have Disney+. Which means they have no actual reason to watch a new Disney animated movie in theaters. Especially one that is ...

2) badly reviewed. I strongly believe 2023 is as bad for Disney as it is because their movies have frankly sucked this year, except for GOTG Vol 3. Where is the creativity? Where has the event-feeling gone? Mediocre or just plain bad and boring movies have lost Disney and all its movie brands a ton of goodwill from the GA. I do believe that if Wish had actually gotten great reviews, it would have been saved somewhat. But since its just another boring by-the-numbers Disney movie, it was rejected because audiences have moved on from this level of quality.

3) Imo the the least important factor out of these 3, but the visual look of Wish was off-putting to many i think. Despite its huge budget, the movie looks weirdly cheap, like a Nickelodon animated film. It certainly doesnt have that "OOMPF!" in the animation department that i get from even one second of something like Lion King, Frozen or Moana. For a 100th year anniversery movie, Wish looks like the party guest that no one wanted to invite, but it had to go there because no one else was available.

This post may seem very harsh, but i wont to stress out, that i dont hate Wish or anything like that. 20 years ago, a movie like Wish would have probably been a success story. But it was the wrong movie to came out in the wrong time.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There was just a real lack of interest in the concept. I don't think many people find this movie compelling or interesting.

Honestly, I think a romance for Asha could have helped. However, it could just be that I really like romance.

Edited by Kon

30 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Confused Thinking GIF

Ok...let's try this one again. Yes, Woman King did do 10x its OD, but its OD was a regular friday, not christmas day, which boosts business considerably...

Why bring up The Woman King if the conditions are as disparate as you say? That just appears to be daft on your part then 

55 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Why bring up The Woman King if the conditions are as disparate as you say? That just appears to be daft on your part then 

I don't really get if you don't get my point or you're just trying to get some weird gotcha moment on me

This isn't some sort of projection on the legs, merely a statement that there is no guarantee of a film breaking out of its demo into spectacular legs  regardless of reviews and reception

TWK had spectacular reviews from both critics and audience with a much-coveted A+ cinemascore, but ended up having rather normal legs

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, YM! said:

WOM and reviews sucked largely because the movie was mediocre and the songs sucked (also I think at this point, we can say Jennifer Lee isn’t a good storyteller). It was very mediocre. For a minute, it was on pace for a 50m five day tracking wise, then reviews gave it the first Rotten in almost twenty years putting it back on the 40m train and then audience WOM sucked outside of families plummeting to barely 30m.

How did she get John Lasseter's old job, just from Frozen? At least on the Pixar side, Pete Docter had a number of successes.

• Like 2