Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It seems even the Black audience, outside of Female 25+, is rejecting the film at the concept stage.  They didn't want to relive the tragedy of The Color Purple.  So, it doesn't matter how good it is - they reject the concept/premise of the movie.

It should give the creators pause for future movies intended for this audience.  They obviously are not responding to painful concepts, and may prefer lighter or satiric ones - but redoing tragedies on screen is no longer a sell, except maybe on streaming...

It won't give them pause. TCP is still on track to make 80+ at the box office. If anything they will keep making these films with a smaller budget. 

15 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Idk if there wasn’t all the hype building up and TCP did $10 mil instead of $18 mil opening day and did the exact same every other day think most people would be saying it’s doing pretty good vs people saying it’s a disaster.

budget is 90-100M and it likely won’t reach 200M worldwide 

17 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Idk if there wasn’t all the hype building up and TCP did $10 mil instead of $18 mil opening day and did the exact same every other day think most people would be saying it’s doing pretty good vs people saying it’s a disaster.

Yeah. The tracking of pre-sales and the first Christmas day distorted our perception for TCP box office at some level.

That said, Oprah said the budget for TCP was 90M-100M. If this is accurate, the movie will still need a bigger box office to breakeven.

Edited by Kon

10 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Distributor screener apparently. 

lol

out of all the possible 4 hour cuts that can exist

I never would have expected hunger games 5 to have one 

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

lol

out of all the possible 4 hour cuts that can exist

I never would have expected hunger games 5 to have one 

the book is extremely long. The film was the longest in the whole series and the biggest criticism of the film is the 3rd act was rushed. Not surprising at all. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Damn, Anyone But You is doing good business.

Poor Things will reach $10M this weekend, wonder what plans there are of expansion before the Oscar noms. It's about to start its rollout in Europe as well.

They’ll probably do another expansion during the week of Oscar nominations. (Jan 23) 

7 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I'm the only one think that Gosling - Blunt movie could be a surprise?. It has 2 barbenheimer stars. Last Leitch movie made 100M+ and he's now a kinda of reconizable name. The action flick fans + some attention from the youngest audience still in the Ken mood. 

First trailer made 20M views just on youtube, not bad. 

I am not sure it should be seen as a surprise if it hits big. They are giving it the kickoff to summer date. The first trailer as you said did  really well. They will probably have a TV spot during the superbowl maybe even drop the second trailer online right after. And Gosling and Blunt are both hot off Barbenheimer with Oscar Noms possible if not likely for both of them.The only thing going against it would be if it is a shit movie. Granted we are not talking a 100 million opening but 50+ seems doable and no real competition in the weeks following if WOM is good it should have legs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

It seems even the Black audience, outside of Female 25+, is rejecting the film at the concept stage.  They didn't want to relive the tragedy of The Color Purple.  So, it doesn't matter how good it is - they reject the concept/premise of the movie.

It should give the creators pause for future movies intended for this audience.  They obviously are not responding to painful concepts, and may prefer lighter or satiric ones - but redoing tragedies on screen is no longer a sell, except maybe on streaming...

My 75 year old black Mother is vehemently against The Color Purple's existence. I think she hates the dour and painful subject matter. I'm 39 and I'm not interested in the film either. Just giving my two cents on the matter as a black woman.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I have no interest in Wonka but I am glad it is doing well for the health of the box office, because people had a weird hate boner for the film before it was even released and because The Marvel fans on Twitter have been sobbing about that film rightfully being called a bomb while Wonka was called a hit "despite opening 7 million lower." So 2 out of three reasons are petty but I've never claimed not to be petty sometimes.

33 minutes ago, Zak said:

I have no interest in Wonka but I am glad it is doing well for the health of the box office, because people had a weird hate boner for the film before it was even released and because The Marvel fans on Twitter have been sobbing about that film rightfully being called a bomb while Wonka was called a hit "despite opening 7 million lower." So 2 out of three reasons are petty but I've never claimed not to be petty sometimes.

"the trailer looks bad" is not a weird hate boner 

• Like 2