Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

I think smaller movies will thrive better in environments where they're the primary focus. My local arthouse theater actually just raised enough funds to build an extra screen next year and they do pretty good business. Might see more "mid-budget" adult fare aim to focus on those kinds of venues.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Looking back on the year

Films with Multiple Weeks at #1

Barbie - 4

Mario - 4

Nun II - 3 (lol September)

2 each: AMWQ, GOTG3, ATSV^, Swift ERAS, FNAF, HG:Boss, Wonka^

*Depending on whether you count the 12/30-1/01 weekend as 2022 or 2023

^Only non-back to winners, in weeks 4 and 3 (estimated) respectively

• Thanks 2

People can hate all they want on people checking their phones and talking during the movies (to be very clear, I do neither of these things in a movie ever), but the fact is, sad or not, checking their phone is a hell of a lot more important to the vast, vast majority of Americans in 2023 than the movie theater experience. Either we adapt the movie theater experience to the desires of the 2023 audience, or we accept a reality that is diminished more and more each year. Basically, we are heading for a world where 10 big movies and a few specialty arthouse places are capable of being exhibited, and the other 95 percent of movies being currently released are played to increasingly empty houses. I mean, I guess that already is reality, but given that this is box office theory, I don't know why we would accept that instead of fighting against the dying of the light for solutions.

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

People can hate all they want on people checking their phones and talking during the movies (to be very clear, I do neither of these things in a movie ever), but the fact is, sad or not, checking their phone is a hell of a lot more important to the vast, vast majority of Americans in 2023 than the movie theater experience. Either we adapt the movie theater experience to the desires of the 2023 audience, or we accept a reality that is diminished more and more each year. Basically, we are heading for a world where 10 big movies and a few specialty arthouse places are capable of being exhibited, and the other 95 percent of movies being currently released are played to increasingly empty houses. I mean, I guess that already is reality, but given that this is box office theory, I don't know why we would accept that instead of fighting against the dying of the light for solutions.

I take the position that we still don't know what the future is. Box office revenue has been on a steady annual upward trend since the pandemic. Yes I know prospects are looking grim for next year, but as an outside observer I don't see much reason to despair until that bridge has truly been crossed. People have been bemoaning the death of cinema pretty much ever since I joined the old BOM board, but things have a way of pleasantly surprising us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ban Smartphones.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, M37 said:

Most films should be basically flat with Wed (+/-5%). There’s not much difference between these two days if they are between Boxing Day and NY Eve 

So far the only films to buck this expectation are 

Anyone But You +7%
TCP -15%

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Clearly people like sexy people on big screen.,

Speaking of sexy people, I finally watched Barbie on streaming yesterday.

A very fresh movie.  I struggle to see how it made so much, but then I tell myself I thought the movie worked on many age levels, with the best level working for age 8.  So, a summer movie that works best for 8 year olds vs 28 year olds or 48 year olds, but isn't off-putting to either of the latter, can sky high.

I thought the best parts of the movie were in Barbieland with "the play" - I thought the worst parts were real life.  And I don't think anyone knew what to do with Will Ferrell and Mattel.  

I'd give it a B b/c I'd grade higher for the freshness, and the "all-in" for showing how Barbie and Ken would live in Barbie world. 

Not sad I watched it...not sad I didn't pay to watch it:).  Good holiday viewing...

• Like 2

I believe there are tons of people Boy on the boat should be a straight-to-streaming movie after a mid review but the BO run so far has been good and remind me of a man called otto last year. 

likewise for anyone but you that many claim the movie look cheap and should either released on VD or dumped it to streaming. 

Both prove they are wrong and evidently there are demand for them in cinema. I always detest the idea of “this should go straight-to-streaming”. No movie should ever be straight to streaming. A movie belong to cinema, as simple as that. Just like how every child should be entitled for eduction.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Is The Color Purple even doing 10M this weekend? Friday should be mostly flat and Sunday is half of a day. 

Hide contents

Am I doing this right now? 

fences did +45% from thursday

I imagine that given the pretty terrible legs so far and the demos it targets it can behave somewhat similarly to it

but I cant see a path for a weekend beyond 15 million, probably 13 max

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

People are clearly horny all year round.

Very good run for Anyone But You , the movie will make a 7M 2nd Weekend , maybe 8M if it's up again this Friday . I think he could be very good on streaming like No Hard Feelings and Sony release in digital on Valentine's Day

51 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think smaller movies will thrive better in environments where they're the primary focus. My local arthouse theater actually just raised enough funds to build an extra screen next year and they do pretty good business. Might see more "mid-budget" adult fare aim to focus on those kinds of venues.

yep. Mid budget adult fare is niche now

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I am OK with becoming a streaming hoe if this is the path. I already avoid going to the movies with my girlfriend because I know it is always mostly an uncomfortable experience.

• Like 2