Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

14 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

ITSV and Wonka has been my comparison pair between two but Wonka really blew ITSV out after the first Monday. A bit unexpected tbh because ITSV had such a strong WOM that Wonka never come close. It was A+ cinemascore and pretty much everyone list it as one of the best of the year.

I'm assuming grumpy old fashioned grandparents a little more open to Wonka than the new funny book cartoon

• Like 1

27-33% was the most common drop range for NYE 2017, with only PP3 above that range (-46%) and a few adult-aimed dramas below it (Darkest Hour, All the Money, Molly's Game) plus Greatest Showman. Although I don't know if a movie theater visit will be as common a NYE activity as it was then. 

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What are we expecting for Fri/Sat/Sun increases and drops? 

Small Friday jump, flat Saturday, big Sunday drop? 

Very flat weekend overall, even compared to Thursday, and Sun NYE isn’t terrible either, as what is lost by activities is somewhat made up by non-partiers having Mon off. In 2017 with this calendar, the top 10 in aggregate was +8.3%, +5.8%, -32%

Should be a bit better this year for Fri/Sat, as TLJ was fading fast and pulling those overall numbers lower 

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth, 2023's overall take is still going to finish ahead of the early-mid 80s adjusted for inflation, really was as feast or famine then as it is now if not moreso. Yes, big differences between the two eras, but if the industry could figure out how to really thrive after that I don't think it's impossible that they still can again.

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Really would be nice if some indies could come out and surprise next year, this is the chance for the minis to shine, since they were able to continue filming through the SAG strike

I dunno just how appealing to a wide audience something like Charlotte Wells' Aftersun is.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Really would be nice if some indies could come out and surprise next year, this is the chance for the minis to shine, since they were able to continue filming through the SAG strike

To be fair, two of the current top ten (Taylor Swift and Sound of Freedom) we didn’t even know they were releasing in 2023 until we got comfortably into 2023. 

Plenty of indies and horror movies to receive dates too, plus some surprises. I think the trades and Hollywood are daft to try and predict. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Migration seem going up from Wednesday but knowing ERC are infamously sloppy with their rounding, I would take a more caution approach.

Deadline has HG: BOSS higher at 1.3m, instead of 1m.

7.) Iron Claw (A24) 2,774 theaters Thur $1.398M (even), Wk $11.3M/Wk 1

8.) Hunger Games – Songbirds & Snakes (LG) Thu $1.3M (+23%) Wk $7.8M, Total $157.1M/Wk 6

9.) Ferrari (NEON) 2,330 theaters, Thu $1.19M (even) Wk $6.8M/Wk 1

10.) Boy and the Heron (GKIDS) 900 theaters Thu $832K (-1%), Wk $6M, Total $33.4M/Wk 3

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I dunno just how appealing to a wide audience something like Charlotte Wells' Aftersun is.

Aftersun certainly did what it was aiming to do, though. $8m in cinemas, its budget was made up of grants. 85 award wins including BIFA’s and BAFTAs and an Oscar nomination. 

It clearly found its audience somewhere and it dominated year end lists. Small hits like Aftersun can add up. They don’t need Mainstream Mandy, Generic Joe and their offspring to show up. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

23 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Nice. Should be pushing 46 after the 4-day. 50 domestic still in play if it can stick around a bit in Jan.

If Toho practise their Japanese way of release here in NA, you can expect to them to keep the movie around until GxK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I got off work early today and I just went to see whatever film had the earliest start time and that happened to be Anyone but You. I didn't really know anything about the movie going into it and I only discovered who Sydney Sweeney was about a couple of weeks ago.

To say that I enjoyed the film is an understatement. It reminded me of all kinds of classic romantic comedies like When Harry met Sally and Love Actually  and silver linings playbook and a huge borrow from bridesmaids.... Just to name a few.

I didn't find it overly funny but I was completely engaged with pretty much every single character and it's amazing how the film makes your roots for the two to get together. 

The entire film was fantastic, the last 15 minutes is some of the best stuff I've seen in any romantic comedy.

Great to see Bryan Brown again as well. He used to be a staple in the '80s and '90s and then he just disappeared.

The word of mouth on this is obviously amazing and like I said I can see why.

• Like 10
  • Heart 2

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

So I got off work early today and I just went to see whatever film had the earliest start time and that happened to be Anyone but You. I didn't really know anything about the movie going into it and I only discovered who Sydney Sweeney was about a couple of weeks ago.

To say that I enjoyed the film is an understatement. It reminded me of all kinds of classic romantic comedies like When Harry met Sally and Love Actually  and silver linings playbook and a huge borrow from bridesmaids.... Just to name a few.

I didn't find it overly funny but I was completely engaged with pretty much every single character and it's amazing how the film makes your roots for the two to get together. 

The entire film was fantastic, the last 15 minutes is some of the best stuff I've seen in any romantic comedy.

Great to see Bryan Brown again as well. He used to be a staple in the '80s and '90s and then he just disappeared.

The word of mouth on this is obviously amazing and like I said I can see why.

I think I will go see this after all since it's obviously aimed at generic Mandys like myself. Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Like 1