filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

My gut feeling was right, no greta and Robbie. I seriously cannot see just how more special Barbie is compared to other billion grosser that we got in the past like avatar, Toy Story 3, joker, black panther, top gun, and avatar 2. Barbie is nothing more outstanding than them and shouldn’t have getting this much in core categories. 

• Like 6

y'know all year people were saying Margot Robbie was gonna get nominated and I was thinking "there's no way she gets nominated for that performance" but I finally relented in my final predictions because she got nominated for everything else. should've stuck to it. there's nothing awards worthy about that performance at all.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

WTF was this? How the heck did Gerwig and Robbie miss for being the reason for the movie's succes alongside Gosling but the cringest part of the movie, Ferrera, somehow made the cut? I see Internet is raging over this BS and rightly so.

• Knock It Off 2

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I had a feeling. If the globes didn’t go nuts for barbie there was no reason for the Oscars to

A few misses but let's not pretend 8 nominations isn't a ton.

After Globes I started to feel Barbie was going to be another Maverick: top grosser, audience-friendly but still would be respected at best, miss on major categories and a single win in the end. Ferrera's nom is a shocker but is likely coming true my prediction.

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Also, no heron and ATSV in the best score but john William got in another around means music branch are lazy as fuck. 

ATSV being snubbed for score is a travesty, I saw ITTSV with a live orchestra/DJ a few months ago and Pemberton literally used household items to make unique sounds. As much as I like John Williams, Dial of Destiny was more of an Indy greatest hits.

Also, America Ferrera? I like her and she’s decent in Barbie, but awards worthy? Not even close (imo).

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

Curious who was #6 in Actor since it seems like those seemed pretty set even before the nominations were announced. I'd wanna say Leo but his snubs elsewhere indicated there wasn't much passion for that performance. Would be amusing if it was Keoghan (probably not).

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not a lot of clear cut Oscar bait which was blanked, at least not a lot which had any hope going into nominations. 

Color Purple I think was the movie that was kinda being considered a frontrunner early in the year that flopped the hardest. But that single Danielle Brooks nomination saves them from the "this had Oscar buzz" list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

let’s see how many actually translate into wins. Not nominating gerwig feels telling 

That's not really how this works, hardly any films with a ton of nominations end up translating into a ton of wins.

Also I don't care what anyone says, I'm thrilled for Ferrera's nomination. Been a stan ever since the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants/Ugly Betty days and never gave up hope that she would be nominated someday if the right project ever came her way.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1