The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

24 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Not to mention the solid press they've had for the casting of the Superman film. Completely non-controversial. Actors look like their characters. Could it might just work?

I've noticed that too. Every time news for this movie drops, I expect to go online and see negative reactions, but it's always been really positive. People are actually interested in this movie, at least on social media. Though that's not to say I don't think the general audience will be disinterested. Superman is one of the great pop culture icons, and if there's anyone who can reverse superhero fatigue, it might just be him. 

• Like 2

There’s overseas markets left for Poor Things? 

With 8.5M OS weekend, it should have at least 22-25M more in tank. 

It made 3M DOM this week, should have another 6-8M in tank. 

It should be very close to 100M, if there’s some OS markets left to release than it’s probably locked. Amazing results

Edited by ThomasNicole

1 hour ago, Eric Creed said:

Even Argylle's benefiting from there being nothing out. There's no way a film with WOM as toxic as this is rising from projections like this and getting to almost 20M if there was actual good food to eat. At this rate, Madame Web's gonna open to 200M lmao

I've been saying there's a floor for big budget movies, especially ones that open by themselves.

I think Argylle may have found it...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s overseas markets left for Poor Things? 

With 8.5M OS weekend, it should have at least 22-25M more in tank. 

It made 3M DOM this week, should have another 6-8M in tank. 

It should be very close to 100M, if there’s some OS markets left to release than it’s probably locked. Amazing results

Will beat the Menu soon to be highest grossing Searchlight movie since Jojo Rabbit. There are still some markets like South Korea to come so 100m is possible. 

On 2/3/2024 at 10:59 PM, JonathanMB said:

Down 11% from last Friday. Was hoping for one more increase since it nearly doubled its theater count, but it's still on track for a $6M+ total, which is still a pretty great number for a non-English language film as...esoteric as this. 

Somehow the movie managed to get another weekend increase unless Sunday estimate is off. This should be the peak and the grosses will start run down from here. Without BP nomination, I seriously doubt a plot-less German language art film would make more money than Nicholas Cage's comedy Dream Scenario. Both AF and PT already reached their peak last week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

I get that the time period between MLK Day and Presidents Day isn't the most desirable time to release a movie, but the fact that a movie with a C- Cinemascore and 42% Verified RT score is having these kind of drops says to me that the market could really use a new horror movie. And we're still over a month away from the next one!

• Like 2

Poor Things getting to $100m worldwide is wild and yet so deserved.

Great totals for Wonka and Anyone But You. Solid for Migration and Aquaman.

Is The Beekeeper going to end up outgrossing Argylle? 😂😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Total lack of competition is helping to float the December releases (see previously 2022 Jan & Feb)

Unless the movie is called The Color Purple.

I think the lack of competition helps most December releases, but it's clear the good holds still depend on audience interest.

• Like 2

Argylle... I just finished watching itthrough a theater recording since it isn't playing here, and that was one of the stupidest, most nonsensical movies ever made. And not in a good way like Malignant. It was pretty bad and infuriatingly dumb. What Apple saw in that script is beyond me. The twists are all just as bad as everyone online is saying. The acting was generally hokey and phoned in. The action was largely forgettable. And it just looked atrocious, especially when that cat became CGI. It was also a tonal mess. It's not objectively as bad as Apple's last movie Napoleon, and there are a couple of cool, if rather artificial-looking, setpieces in the third act. But I thought it still was really bad. No wonder why word of mouth is so toxic for it, and why it flopped so badly this weekend. I really hope Apple's other two tentpoles for the year are better.

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Poor Things getting to $100m worldwide is wild and yet so deserved.

Great totals for Wonka and Anyone But You. Solid for Migration and Aquaman.

Is The Beekeeper going to end up outgrossing Argylle? 😂😂

there is a pretty good chance Beekeeper outgrosses Argyle unless there is a casual audience enjoying Argyle more than audience metrics are letting on.  Next weekend it will get killed by the superbowl  so it would have to recover in weekend 3 against two new openers but it would have a holiday day weekend stateside. Short answer Beekeeper wins. 

The audience at my Argylle showing yesterday was on the senior side for the most part, which makes the relatively strong IM explainable IMO. Spy movies tend to play heavily to an older crowd, including (and perhaps especially) the Bond and Mission: Impossible series.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The audience at my Argylle showing yesterday was on the senior side for the most part, which makes the relatively strong IM explainable IMO. Spy movies tend to play heavily to an older crowd, including (and perhaps especially) the Bond and Mission: Impossible series.

Hmm Imagine being part of the Demo that has been slow to come back to theaters post Covid and you decide to see this movie as  your once every few months movie. Okay it's your money guys. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$220M worldwide is really BAD for an original Illumination film during the holidays, it's just impossible to flop with a $70M budget. 

It has a few major territories still to start a run in, likely going to outpace Hop's adjusted global total at least. Yeah, it's not anything great in the context of the Illumination canon, but it is further testament that their business model is sustainable.

What's really hurting the opening months of the year is a lack of any other new kid-friendly options to give theaters a boost. Orion and the Dark could've been a solid hit right now if Uni were distributing it.

51 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I beg Mickey 17 still comes this year

It will, the movie is delayed to premiere on festivals

Only doubt is which one: Cannes or Venice

The rumour is Cannes for a few months, even before the delay happened

• Like 1