filmlover

Weekend Thread: 2/9-11 | Deadline projects Argylle $6.6M Weekend #2, Lisa Frankenstein $4M

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Early weekend projections:

Argylle: $6.6M

Lisa Frankenstein: $4M

The Beekeeper/Wonka: $3.3M

Migration: $3M

Box Office:'Argylle' Leading Low Weekend As Super Bowl Takes Toll (deadline.com)

Yeah the superbowl is why the box office is so low. Sure let's go with that. Good old deadline carrying the water for the studios. 

• Like 5

Lisa Frankenstein is going to end up with a similar run to 2016's Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, another goofy horror reimagining that attracted no audience dumped on Super Bowl weekend. Feel bad for Kathryn Newton, Diablo Cody, and Robin Williams' daughter.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Lisa Frankenstein is going to end up with a similar run to 2016's Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, another goofy horror reimagining that attracted no audience dumped on Super Bowl weekend. Feel bad for Kathryn Newton, Diablo Cody, and Robin Williams' daughter.

Her name is Zelda Williams, she's now directed a theatrically released movie, I feel she has done enough to no longer be known as just Robin Williams daughter.

• Like 1

Remember When Taken open super bowl weekend and everybody thought it was going to crash and burn and then it ended up opening very well and of course the rest is history.

• Like 3

If it wasn't for the strikes, Lisa Frankenstein would've most likely been dumped on Peacock. It's a hyper-niche movie aimed at an audience nowhere near enough to carry a movie to its break-even point. Zelda got lucky here, but this failure will be a devastating blow for her chances of stepping out of his father's shadow. I hope she has a decent indie future at least.

An miserable weekend, no surprise there. I'd argue Deadline might even be overpredicting a little here. All these bad weekends do is to put even more pressure on Dune 2 to perform. Let's just hope those who saw the first one come back for more, because a Dead Reckoning-style underperformance is going to result in a lot of meltdowns across the board. We can also hope these dreary headlines hit studio stocks hard enough that they'll learn to be more reasonable with their workforce in the years to come.

But on a far better note, Poor Things was finally released in my country yesterday, and it actually is playing in my area so I got to see it. It's a batshit crazy, yet still fantastic movie. It's a miracle a movie like it was approved and funded by Disney and managed to reach a double-digit amount of Oscar nominations. I kind of want it to win Best Picture now just for the novelty and hell of it all. And the aspect ratio actually ended up fitting the auditorium my theater chose for it really well.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

Remember When Taken open super bowl weekend and everybody thought it was going to crash and burn and then it ended up opening very well and of course the rest is history.

Such a shame that the sequels happened 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Zelda got lucky here, but this failure will be a devastating blow for her chances of stepping out of his father's shadow.

Jfc why do you always say the weirdest shit

• Like 1

A non-zero chance this becomes the lowest grossing weekend post-COVID (since Memorial Day 2021), and will certainly land somewhere in bottom 4

Weekend = Top 10 / Total

1. Jan 28, 2022 = $30.5 / $35.0M

2. Dec 9, 2022 = $33.3 / $37.7M

3. Sept 24, 2001 = $35.8 / $38.8M

4. Sept 9, 2022 = $33.9 / $43.1M

5. Dec 10, 2021 = $40.8 / $43.9M

Only two other weekends, 1/21/22 and 9/17/21 failed to reach $50M in aggregate, none in all of 2023

February 2022 had the Uncharted breakout ($148M), plus Dog ($62M), Jackass ($58), and Death on Nile ($46M) to help breathe some life into the numbers before Batman, but this year we have ... Marley and Madame, a Demon Slayer film, Ordinary Angels and episode releases of Chosen. Gonna be a boring time until Dune II

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

Early weekend projections:

Argylle: $6.6M

Lisa Frankenstein: $4M

The Beekeeper/Wonka: $3.3M

Migration: $3M

Box Office:'Argylle' Leading Low Weekend As Super Bowl Takes Toll (deadline.com)

This is looking to be a horrific overall weekend DOM BO-wise.  Deadline didn't put an overall number, except below $52.6M.

With the numbers above, would we be looking at around $30M-$35M total BO for the weekend?  If so, this would be a post-Covid era/post-2021 low, right?  Jan 22 had Spidey at $34.7M for one of its weekends, so I guess that's the over/under...

Edit to Add: Damn, M37, great minds think alike at the same time this morning...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’m shocked LF is opening this bad.  I didn’t even realise it was opening this weekend, and I’m guessing its audience didn’t either. 

Super Bowl has nothing to do with an opening this weak. 

Why? Rotting corpses will never be romantic. If someone thought they would replace always stylish and sexy bad boy vampires, they were mistaken. But the movie's cheap so it won't matter.

YA also tried to make angels happen and while Mortal Instruments books were huge they never translated on the screen. Never became the next vampires. Zombies, Frankenstein, etc just don't have the vampire appeal.