Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

There's been a lot of talk about whether the previews were rounded up or fudged from 9-9.5 to around 10.

Beyond jat absolutely no one cares and the "fudge" money likely came from elsewhere in the weekend so I really don't give a crap.

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't think Wick 4 was very invested in IMAX which should really be taken into account. There's still capacity issues for "true PLF" hits.

SATURDAY AM: Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 4 received its best grade ever from audiences, with a solid A CinemaScore and 5 Stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak, and grosses held largely steady over Friday night with $29.4M. That’s still the best opening day for the franchise on its way to a series record $70.6M debut.

Imax and PLFs are driving 38% of ticket sales here. In regards to admissions, EntTelligence reports that over a third of the pic’s foot traffic has been in Imax, PLF, and 4DX locations. At a ratio that high, and as the box office comes back from the pandemic, we just need more of those auditoriums, no?

Its not Dune's 48% but JW4 was invested in PLFs

5 minutes ago, Shawn Robbins said:

What mystery is there?

There is some, uh, hesitation in the tracking thread about the $12M reported preview (more accurately, the $10M Thur portion)

Its not really relevant other than for precision purposes for future comps, IMs, etc 

• Like 6

Deadline's Saturday number up to $76 M Estimate -- Demographic skew also aging down considerably --

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

Legendary Entertainment/Warner Bros Dune: Part Two is shaping up at this moment to with a weekend take around $76M, which though not at that $80M expectation the industry was putting upon it, is still wonderfully 85% over of Dune‘s $41M opening, which was dampered down by Covid and pic’s avail on HBO Max. Friday came in with $32.2M, which includes previews. The last time we saw a Friday with previews north of $30M was at the end of October with Universal/Blumhouse’s Five Nights at Freddy‘s posting $39.6M which turned into an $80M opening. Dune: Part Two‘s Friday is also just under that of Oppenheimer‘s which was $33M (and an $82.4M opening)....

Right now Imax and PLFs are driving 48% of the weekend gross similar to the first Dune and an amazing share for upscale tickets. PostTrak shows 18-34 repping 55% of the audience with 24-34 year olds the largest demo at 34% with the overall over 35 crowd repping 41% of ticket buyers.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator
6 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

There's been a lot of talk about whether the previews were rounded up or fudged from 9-9.5 to around 10.

Ohh, I see. Honestly not sure, I hadn't heard much of it until now. It's highly unlikely the studio revises those numbers from here.

But honestly, since they said $2m from early IMAX shows, I'd lean toward $9.5m - 10.0m for Thursday being fairly accurate.

They might round up from a .5 increment, but I'd be mildly surprised if they underreported by a full 50%.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dallas said:

I like this guy but he’s kind of nonsensical right now by projecting Dune to make 90M ow domestically lol

Good OD 

Now let’s see SAT, if there’s a moment for the movie to overperform is today, presales are very strong. 

Could be the difference between 75 and 80M OW. But i’m happy with 75 and it’s unlikely to go under so nice. 

Seems good OS as well. Should be a 600M grosser WW

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

SATURDAY AM: Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 4 received its best grade ever from audiences, with a solid A CinemaScore and 5 Stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak, and grosses held largely steady over Friday night with $29.4M. That’s still the best opening day for the franchise on its way to a series record $70.6M debut.

Imax and PLFs are driving 38% of ticket sales here. In regards to admissions, EntTelligence reports that over a third of the pic’s foot traffic has been in Imax, PLF, and 4DX locations. At a ratio that high, and as the box office comes back from the pandemic, we just need more of those auditoriums, no?

Its not Dune's 48% but JW4 was invested in PLFs

John Wick 4 lost all PLFs to Dungeons and Dragons second weekend. Really frustrating performance for that one 

6 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Original with day and date  A-  didn't have shit legs . Don't know why you would think this would have bad legs with better reception and little to no competition.

Not expecting 3x legs either. 2.7* + legs are good .

Discourse around this movie gets weird at times. 

Before first one came out . Some expected this too bomb hard but it made 400m with day and date. OS reception was really good.

Is it your typical  crowd pleaser . Ofcorse not,  and the first movie wasn't either and look how that turned out with all it's constraints .

You don't open to 75-80m without some appeal or pull.

Didn't love the first movie all that much but this " whole GA didn't love it and found it boring discourse " tiresome . Yeah 8+ on IMDb,90%AS ,A-. Big jump in OW. Says otherwise.

Marvels,Indy5 ,flash couldn't even make that amount on ow.

Dune doesn't have your typical   four quadrant  tentpole appeal but it's not as  niche/ audience limiting  as some thought.

This is probably finishing 600M+ WW. Not a lot of crowdpleasers tentpoles reach that amount at box office.

Totally missing the picture. Dune 2 reached this level of OW 75-80m thanks to passionate love, no doubt over that. But it is also the passionate love that may in the end limit the sky of how high dune 2 can go. Avatar 2 is too a sci-fi fantasy, and I believe everyone agree that the review isn’t rave and I don’t see the whole twitter going nuts praising that movie, yet avatar 2 has similar or slightly lower exit score like dune 2 (A Cinemascore, 5 stars posttrak and 92% RT).

The difference clearly lies with just how appealing the movie to general public. A silent audience that generally don’t talk, don’t know and hardly give any reaction to a movie. If this segment of audience is unlocked, a movie can tap into a money that they would never imagine to get. I presume Dennis isn’t interested to wow this segment of audience but this is still a factor why dune 2 isn’t overperforming beyond PLF or male audience. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

It really needs at least x3 multi to be considered a decent result. OW jump is logical since it didn't have streaming release and covid excuse at the same time.

Edited by TomThomas

JW4 and Logan had to compete for screens and audiences with 500m+ grossers less than 3 weeks in their runs. I think Dune will have better legs. PLF experience will cause more people to have more repeat viewings.

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm is Saturday is indeed big? or just deadline’s typical exaggeration?

“I hear that Dune: Part Two is going to have a great Saturday. Already as of this AM, Warners has $13.5M bagged for Saturday. I understand that they’re up 30% over the pure Friday (less previews).”

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Good OD 

Now let’s see SAT, if there’s a moment for the movie to overperform is today, presales are very strong. 

Could be the difference between 75 and 80M OW. But i’m happy with 75 and it’s unlikely to go under so nice. 

Seems good OS as well. Should be a 600M grosser WW

$600M is low. Let’s say $75M OW that would lead to at least $200M DOM. The same DOM/OS of the first one would then lead to $750M+ WW. Yeah no Russia but the better reception will compensate that.

• Like 1