Bob Train

3/4-3/7 Weekdays Thread | Dune $7.3m Monday, $8.1m Tuesday, $6.6m Wednesday

1 hour ago, Maaatt said:

I second this. After the success of Oppenheimer coming fast on the heels of CBM’s not being the sure things they had been for well over a decade there was some talk of what does is it say about modern audience tastes, how can the Oppenheimer model be replicated to make a steady stream of hits for theaters (if theaters can no longer bank on the guaranteed stream of blockbusters from superhero movies, where will the blockbusters come from?) and the easy joke about that was to say we need more Christopher Nolan movies but he can only do so much..

But what you said above is the correct answer to me, or at least part of it, we need more quality auteur-directors with big & loyal fanbases capable of opening movies, like Nolan.  Thats my dream at least. 

And outside of Nolan/Villeneuve you have maybe one other director, so comic adaptations it is.

Greta Gerwig's Narnia with a great cast could be a big success. It's a shame is a Netflix release. 

Btw americans should start to watch again adult dramas are not blockbuster too.

You have poor things, a movie with Emma Stone, an acclaimed director, around 10 oscars nominees. Why you don't go to watch adult movies on a big screen? In my country the movie is #1 movie of the year and in proportion It's like It made 150M in the US.

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Greta Gerwig's Narnia with a great cast could be a big success. It's a shame is a Netflix release. 

You have poor things, a movie with Emma Stone, an acclaimed director, around 10 oscars nominees. Why you don't go to watch adult movies on a big screen? In my country the movie is #1 movie of the year and in proportion It's like It made 150M in the US.

actually Italy doing $150M propotionally is the odd one. Other EU markets are in $50M range I think.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

Maybe because WB use differents types of Marketing for Barbie like parternerships or use buzz like the house/airbnb in pink in LA

Basically that's it. I've aggregated some ISPOT and EDO data on this year's films based on OW articles. Based on ISPOT's data, Barbie spent 8.7M through OW but cobranded spots (most notably from progressive) spent $12M on ads which would raise it from a low amount of spending to a normal amount.

That's still not the mega marketing budget you'd expect but I really suspect people undersell the degree to which Barbie was able to leverage the brand to get other people to pay for marketing. 

In that vein, Star Wars: Phantom Menace really had a modest marketing budget but you'd never have known it in 2000 from all of the brand partnerships.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

2 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Here we go , Panda vs Sandworm , who will won this battle this weekend

Theaters 🙂

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Theaters 🙂

Yes , clearly after two months complicated . We will have another weekend more quiet next week , but after , two new big weekends

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

It would be nice. Some of it is the big chain theaters don’t really play these type of movies. So the audience does not have a proper choice. 

5 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I can only speak for myself, but Poor Things didn't feel like it needed to be seen on a Big Screen, and it's too weird for the general adult audience anyhow.

10 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

The one two punch of DUNE 2 and KFP4 is bad news for GxK, as both the films together cater same audience as that film. 

They can co-exist.

15 hours ago, M37 said:

That’s not really a fair comparison, given ITSV had holidays to boost total and first Dune was limiting by a D&D streaming release, knocking 10/20/30% off the total 

While math is roughy the same, feels more to me like John Wick 2 —> 3 type of audience growth 

Also, Dune II is going to pass Dune I’s (depressed) total after just 7 days 

Yup, this makes solid sense

The Spider-Verse increase is more impressive because there were factors (holidays) that boosted ITSV whereas pandemic/HBO kneecapped Dune. Across the Spider-Verse doubled ITSV domestically in a packed summer with a shit ton of competition. It ATSV was released on say December 22nd, 2023 it would have done north of $450M domestic with a week of holidays and two months of no competition. 

• Like 1