filmlover

The 96th Academy Awards Live Feed Thread | Oppy wins it all, but Ryan Gosling is still kenough

I think Gladstone deserved the award but some of the comments I've seen about her loss are just so stupidly performative. I just saw a tweet that said Gladstone didn't win because they didn't want her to be talking about Palestine (what???). Like cmon, this happens every year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think Gladstone deserved the award but some of the comments I've seen about her loss are just so stupidly performative. I just saw a tweet that said Gladstone didn't win because they didn't want her to be talking about Palestine (what???). Like cmon, this happens every year.

I saw a Tweet that had no likes, but one I agree with more: 

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised the Oscars never mentioned the big new four part Representation & Inclusion standards that went into effect while announcing 1 new category and doing the weird Stunt performer thing. It feels like the sort of thing we've previously seen mentioned (e.g. announcing the waves of new voters incorporated after years of criticism). 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Gladstone was not the lead of Flower Moon while Poor things was about Emma. I think the deserved performance won the award. 

I really think the screentime factor play the role here. Had Scorsese know she is the film’s biggest chance to win for the KoTFM, will he make the movie more center around her? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Here's something you should know about Twitter - people (especially the owner) will turn everything, no matter how unrelated, into something linked to their pet cause. It's why there's a lot of accounts there saying that Disney isn't doing well because they are being boycotted for being pro-Israel, and a lot of accounts saying Disney isn't doing well because they are boycotted for being woke, and a lot of accounts saying Disney isn't doing well because they are just making remakes now.

• Like 2

Just now, Mojoguy said:

At this point, Bradley Cooper needs to eat some of those Limitless pills to win an Oscars.

I would laugh if he just threw in the towel on the awards chasing and started making goofy flicks like Gyllenhaal has. Getting nothing for Stronger appears to have been the last straw because he had a competing Leonard Bernstein project that fell apart along the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Here's something you should know about Twitter - people (especially the owner) will turn everything, no matter how unrelated, into something linked to their pet cause. It's why there's a lot of accounts there saying that Disney isn't doing well because they are being boycotted for being pro-Israel, and a lot of accounts saying Disney isn't doing well because they are boycotted for being woke, and a lot of accounts saying Disney isn't doing well because they are just making remakes now.

When in reality, Disney isn't doing well because they won't make a live-action adaptation of Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Gladstone was not the lead of Flower Moon while Poor things was about Emma. I think the deserved performance won the award. 

Which is a really hard hurdle to clear (especially when the lead actress is the true star of the film instead of "just" a secondary co-lead. The last time someone clearly won from that position was Witherspoon in Walk The Line (I'd also say Oliva Coleman for the Favourite but I don't really understand how that film's nominations were split).

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I am going to guess that the film that finally bags Bradley Cooper an Oscar will not be directed by Bradley Cooper.

Cooper and Todd Philips get together for one last shot.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I would laugh if he just threw in the towel on the awards chasing and started making goofy flicks like Gyllenhaal has. Getting nothing for Stronger appears to have been the last straw because he had a competing Leonard Bernstein project that fell apart along the way.

Cooper playing Bodhi in the Point Break remake. Dam too late. 

They actually did a pretty good job spreading the wealth this year overall after half the Best Picture nominees won nothing last year. Killers, Maestro, and Past Lives the only titles to go home empty-handed.

• Like 1

Just now, Maggie said:

I wanted Bradly Cooper to win. He gave the best performance imo. Murphy's Oppenheimer didn't feel like a real person. It is what it is

Bradley Cooper in the dick tracy villain make up felt more like a real person to you?

• Haha 1

Imagine being a kid born in 1970 and growing up on legendary movies like Jaws, Close Encounters, Indiana Jones, and ET. Forty years later, you are handed a Best Director trophy by Spielberg. That’s gotta be the most incredible feeling for Nolan.

• Like 2