Grand Cine

3/08-3/10 Weekend Estimates : KFP 4 : 58,3M , Dune 2 : 46,3M , Imaginary : 10M , Caprini : 7,6M

13 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Dunes 2nd weekend can still pass Marvels OW.

It will pass the OW for Dune Part One.

It's a great success 

Edited by Merkel

55 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I genuinely feel like I'm reading Dune 2 discourse from an alternate timeline in both last weekend and this weekend's threads. How are we somehow making a clear win sound like a flop? It's opened big and is having good legs as well.

Poor trolling attempts and the mods should ban them. 

• Like 2

Just now, Borobudur said:

Lionsgate has also reported 

- N Imaginary Lionsgate $10,000,000   3,118   $3,207 $10,000,000 1

Lionsgate being the second studio to report estimates, incredible, lol.

Decent opening after the poor Thursday previews; feel like it shoulda gone higher considering the lack of horror films in the last two months, but considering the quality it's a decent enough gross. 

The marketplace was starving as much for a new horror movie as it was a new animated movie so not surprised Imaginary sort of took advantage of that. The First Omen and Abigail next month have more going for them so those should have no problem hitting double digits openings.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I genuinely feel like I'm reading Dune 2 discourse from an alternate timeline in both last weekend and this weekend's threads. How are we somehow making a clear win sound like a flop? It's opened big and is having good legs as well.

“How are we somehow making a clear win sound like a flop?”

Answer: because some people keep setting others for deception/disappointment when they keep the 300M+/1bi talk! And I’m not talking specifically about anyone on this forum. Many people here follow other “trackers”/“insiders”/“experts”/etc on social networks who know that keeping the 300M/1bi talk will make them get more followers.

They keep the comparison to Oppenheimer box office, but they (maybe intentionally) forget mentioning the fact that Dune 2 first week made ~17M less than Oppenheimer domestically (and Oppenheimer ended up getting 329M). More importantly, Oppenheimer first week made ~17M more than Dune 2 having only IMAX, while every Dolby Cinema was taken over by Barbie, and other PLFs were never an Oppenheimer exclusive. Whereas Dune 2 had every single IMAX and every other PLF but still made 17M less than Oppenheimer. So Dune BO relies on PLFs way more than Oppenheimer, and in 10 days Dune will lose most of its PLFs to Ghostbusters. Plus Oppenheimer had the benefits of summer season, something that Dune 2 doesn’t have. Conclusion from these facts is pretty easy to get, it’s unpopular though. People should be celebrating Dune to make 200M (2x its 2021 BO), but instead they are sorry because they believed in the 300M fantasy.

Edited by leoh
  • Heart 1

4 minutes ago, leoh said:

Answer: because some people keep setting others for deception/disappointment when they keep the 300M+/1bi talk! And I’m not talking specifically about anyone on this forum. Many people here follow other “trackers”/“insiders”/“experts”/etc on social networks who know that keeping the 300M/1bi talk will make them get more followers.

They keep the comparison to Oppenheimer box office, but they (maybe intentionally) forget mentioning the fact that Dune 2 first week made ~17M less than Oppenheimer domestically (and Oppenheimer ended up getting 329M). More importantly, Oppenheimer first week made ~17M more than Dune 2 having only IMAX, while every Dolby Cinema was taken over by Barbie, and other PLFs were never an Oppenheimer exclusive. Whereas Dune 2 had every single IMAX and every other PLF but still made 17M less than Oppenheimer. Plus Oppenheimer had the benefits of summer season, something that Dune 2 doesn’t have. Conclusion from these facts is pretty easy to get, it’s unpopular though. People should be celebrating Dune to make 200M (2x its 2021 BO), but instead they are sorry because they believed in the 300M+/1bi fantasy.

You are so hung up on this, but there is like… no billion talk here. I remember maybe one post like last Saturday. Some people who don’t follow BO on Twitter have mentioned it, but there’s like… no harm in that.

And $300m IS a real possibility. That’s why people bring it up. That’s the whole point of discussion. Not sure why you’re so insistent on trying to shoot down discussion on a literal forum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, leoh said:

In fact it’s a pretty common thing nowadays movies getting smaller budgets due to tax credits. 

Plus watching Madame Web (as I did) you get even surprised it could really have cost more than 80M before tax credit lol

Sure, but my go-to example is the film 65. The studio reported a 45M budget but if you follow the tax credits (Louisiana, Oregon & Ireland), the minimum "gross" budget on the film is roughly 67M and the minimum net budget is ~52M. 

I agree about the cheaper feel about Madame Web but I'm just more inclined to believe the larger budget number that's credibly floated in the lack of alternate explanations (I don't think anyone's explicitly claimed the 80M claim was Net versus a Gross spend of $100M, that's just an attempt to reconcile different numbers). Yeah, 80M is definitely possible. 

16 minutes ago, leoh said:

They keep the comparison to Oppenheimer box office, but they (maybe intentionally) forget mentioning the fact that Dune 2 first week made ~17M less than Oppenheimer domestically (and Oppenheimer ended up getting 329M). More importantly, Oppenheimer first week made ~17M more than Dune 2 having only IMAX, while every Dolby Cinema was taken over by Barbie, and other PLFs were never an Oppenheimer exclusive. Whereas Dune 2 had every single IMAX and every other PLF but still made 17M less than Oppenheimer. Plus Oppenheimer had the benefits of summer season, something that Dune 2 doesn’t have. Conclusion from these facts is pretty easy to get, it’s unpopular though. People should be celebrating Dune to make 200M (2x its 2021 BO), but instead they are sorry because they believed in the 300M+/1bi fantasy.

1B WW is a fantasy but 300M DOM is not. 

It was exactly you that were celebrating and berating others when Dune 2 opening FRI was less than needed for 80M and the same "it never going to make 80M OW". Guess what? You disappear when it does well and come back at any chance to bring the movie and its BO performance down. I can tell when it hits 300M it's still you gonna comfortably ignore what you said earlier and jump on a new goalpost. 

• Like 10