Bob Train

Weekdays Thread | 3/18-3/21 | Dune 2.8m | KFP4 2.0

1 minute ago, seduh7 said:

Amazing hold by Dune 2. A fourth weekend of +$18 is very likely. It's headed for a $270 finish.

Seems optimistic? Oppenheimer dropped -43% when BB was released, and GB: FE is gonna open higher than that. I'm expecting $15m-$16m. It's splitting many regular IMAX with Ghostbusters.

21 minutes ago, seduh7 said:

Amazing hold by Dune 2. A fourth weekend of +$18 is very likely. It's headed for a $270 finish.

I’m not gonna get my hopes up. It’s losing a lot of PLFs and the weekend gross has often been below expectations based on weekday holds. 

4 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Seems optimistic? Oppenheimer dropped -43% when BB was released, and GB: FE is gonna open higher than that. I'm expecting $15m-$16m. It's splitting many regular IMAX with Ghostbusters.

maybe a little optimistic, but it's having great weekdays, this friday and saturday increase will be bigger than last weekend. I think an under 40% drop is very possible

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Oppenheimer has achieved almost everything. Next is only strong run at Japan. Early PS makes me slightly optimistic it will do very well in large cities with big expat population. 

Any chance it comes close to $40M in Japan in order for the film to hit $1B? Seems unlikely to me but Japan does have a connection to the film no other country can claim and that might be enough to drive it higher than expected.

10 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Any chance it comes close to $40M in Japan in order for the film to hit $1B? Seems unlikely to me but Japan does have a connection to the film no other country can claim and that might be enough to drive it higher than expected.

We will next weekend for sure. Its hard to predict that market. Pearl Harbor did break out over there. 

14 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I guess even if it does $25M, don't think UNI gonna let it in $985-1000M. There would be some re-releases here and there to push it over.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

They should keep re-releasing it in North America, Europe, China, and wherever else. $1 billion would eventually happen, lol

19 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They should keep re-releasing it in North America, Europe, China, and wherever else. $1 billion would eventually happen, lol

Avatar should do this too. It's so close to $3 billion. 

• Like 2

Speaking of older movies that needs another theatrical re-release to hit a certain special box office milestone, The Lion King (the 1994 original 2D-animated film) would be a perfect 90’s film to bring back in theaters for nostlagia’s sake, in order for it to be pushed to $1B+ WW, since it’s only $32M WW left to that mark. Considering the film celebrates it’s 30th anniversary this year (since it’s a 30 year old Disney movie), it would make perfect sense to re-release the film in theaters to both an old audience of adults who want to relive the old theatrical experience of seeing that film back in previous theatrical releases when they were young (1994, 2002, 2011) and to a new audience of kids who have never seen the original TLK in theaters.

Jurassic Park got theatrical re-releases enough for that film to get over $1B+ WW, so why not try this with the original ”The Lion King”?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So the losing some PLF to ghostbuster really did hurt Dune

at my local IMAX theaters, it regained some showtimes today compared to yesterday