kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

I liked Afterlife, but that seemed like a one and done. I think it would have been a bigger hit if there were no pandemic, and would have outgrossed the 2016 film by a lot more. But that had the benefit of being written and directed by Jason Reitman.

There's nothing else to do with this franchise! We're all moving on from the 80s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

At my theater, Ghostbusters is only getting one IMAX show in the early afternoon, with the remaining times going to Dune. Can’t imagine that being much different elsewhere.

At my local Emagine, GBFE has all the PLFs. None for Dune.

56 minutes ago, Ziddletwix said:

KFP4's Thursday weekly drop was ~61%, Dune 2's Thursday weekly drop was ~51%. But I'm seeing most predictions expect substantially lower drops for both over the weekend, maybe 40-42% drops compared to last weekend. Is that normal? I.e. on a Thursday you see a much bigger drop from last week than you do on a weekend? (I guess I assumed last Thursday's gross already took that into account). 

(I guess for KFP4, the idea is last Thursday was spring break, yesterday isn't, so you see a super steep drop, but on weekends that difference isn't as extreme?)

Also, probably naive question—why was Dune's Thursday weekly drop so much larger than its drops for the rest of the week? Is it just because it lost screens to Ghostbusters? (I.e. I'm trying to predict if it's likely that there are any more >50% drops next week—seems like it's possible if next Thursday it loses even more screens to GxK?)

The simple answer to your questions are that the Men's NCAA tournament started on Thursday, likely pulling away potential viewers and dropping numbers as compared to Wed and prev Thur

But there is also Spring Break effect (more last week than this week) so weekdays should drop more than the upcoming weekend (esp Sat/Sun), plus competition from Ghostbusters, both direct (audience pull) as well as screen & show loss limiting potential

March - more than any other month - is when daily/weekday numbers get a little fuzzy, because of these outside factors that are not consistent week/week or even year/year. Makes it more difficult to be precise in forecasts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Im going to assume its because people think it'll be frontloaded and Ghostbusters doesn't gross much internationally 

With the TMobile deal, the weekend won't be as front-loaded as might be expected...

All this talk recently of franchises being revived well past their sell-by date and the difficulties that have long faced comedy franchises (which, let's be honest, is what the OG Ghostbusters was - a comedy with supernatural elements) has brought to mind BCoop's statements during this past awards season that he would absolutely make a Hangover 4. Listen Bradley, I know it must sting having a dozen Oscar nominations and zero wins, but returning to a franchise that arguably wore out its welcome about 5 minutes into the second film is definitely not it.

• Haha 2

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-ghostbusters-frozen-empire-1235865730/

FRIDAY PM: As of right now, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is looking alright with a $16M Friday and $42M-$43M opening at 4,345 theaters. That Friday is on par with Ghostbusters: Afterlife‘s first day (plus previews) of $16.6M, and should that 3-day keep up, it will only be a $1M shy of the 2021 Jason Reitman directed title.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, el sid said:

Still no numbers? Nothing?

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-ghostbusters-frozen-empire-1235865730/

FRIDAY PM: As of right now, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is looking alright with a $16M Friday and $42M-$43M opening at 4,345 theaters. That Friday is on par with Ghostbusters: Afterlife‘s first day (plus previews) of $16.6M, and should that 3-day keep up, it will only be a $1M shy of the 2021 Jason Reitman directed title.

In second is the fourth weekend of Legendary/Warner Bros’ Dune: Part Two at 3,437 theaters with an estimated $4.6M, -43% for a 3-day of $16.9M and a running total of $232.6M.

Third belongs to Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s third frame of Kung Fu Panda 4 at 3,805 theaters with a Friday of $4.3M, -51%, and 3-day of $15.3M, -49%, and running total by EOD Sunday of $131.7M.

The NEON, Sydney Sweeney nun horror movie, Immaculate, is seeing an estimated $1.8M-$2.2M Friday, and $5M opening at 2,354 sites. Black Bear financed and produced the movie for under $10M. Black Bear is handling the UK release of the film with Elevation releasing the pic in Canada.

Lionsgate’s second frame of Arthur the King at 3,003 theaters is looking at fifth after a second Friday of $1.2M, -60%, and a 3-day of $4.1M, -46%, and a ten-day gross of $14.3M.

IFC has the David Dastmalchian 1977-set horror movie, Late Night With the Devil, which world premiered a year ago at SXSW, which is seeing $1.3M today for $3.3M opening at 1,034 locations. The Cameron and Colin Cairness directed horror pic follows a live television broadcast in 1977 which goes horribly wrong, unleashing evil into the nation’s living rooms. Critics love it on Rotten Tomatoes at 96% certified fresh and an 86% audience score.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Third belongs to Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s third frame of Kung Fu Panda 4 at 3,805 theaters with a Friday of $4.3M, -51%, and 3-day of $15.3M, -49%, and running total by EOD Sunday of $131.7M.

Oof, pretty rough drop for Panda. I wonder if Ghostbusters did take away some of the audience here.

I don't know where this Late Night with the Devil hype came from all of a sudden but it's gonna easily be IFC Films' biggest non-Greek Wedding weekend ever.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1