kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

Question about this week:

do people in the US celebrate Easter?

We have here the upcoming Friday and the Monday afterwards public nationwide Holidays, interested in the possible impact in the US if parts or…. also celebrate 

(forgot way too much details over the last few years)

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Charlie is basically saying that if Sony really does report 45 that doesn't line up with the numbers he has and that's a bit too big a gap to really trust it being genuine.

Other examples of this were Dune2 thu being too high (WB likely just took something from the next few days to report better preview number) and I recall one other big example Charlie uses being TFA.

What did Disney do with TFA? Just curious.

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Did Sony fudge the numbers?

10.75 for GB....Sony $11,215,476    

5.5 for Dune....WB $5,458,413    

4.85 for Panda....Universal $4,787,070    

Ghostbusters was surprisingly an okay time. I was expecting much worse but walked away liking it about the same as the last one.

Which is to say, a flawed but enjoyable comfort food movie that won't leave any lasting impression but won't feel like you wasted your time.

Overall, I did feel like the movie went on a bit long, there was 1 subplot I would have dropped entirely. It should have been an easy breezy 90-100 minutes but it drags on nearly 2 hours. 

Another rewrite with a touch more humour could have done wonders because the foundation isn't terrible. Not that the movie is going to surprise you in any way, it's just inline with all the Ghostbusters films outside of 1.

Personally I don't think any of the films are bad. Just only 1 is great and the sequels don't add anything noteworthy. But it was fun to spend some time with the old characters again. Murray in particular though not a long role is very funny.

6/10

• Like 2

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

We have here the upcoming Friday and the Monday afterwards public nationwide Holidays, interested in the possible impact in the US if parts or…. also celebrate 

Not Federal nationwide holidays.  For colleges it's often covered by Spring Break which is spread out depending on the college over weeks.

For public schools (K-12th grade)  it depends on the school district.  In NYC Friday & Monday are off

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AJG said:

5 TV channels when I was younger.

It was a great way to discover movies. I would never have seen films I love like EuroTrip, You Don't Mess with The Zohan, and 16 Blocks, if it hadn't been for the fact that there truly was nothing else better to watch when they aired on TV.

Things like Letterboxd and Rotten Tomatoes only ever highlight 'critically acclaimed' cinema - if people only watch the same movies and don't form their own tastes we'll end up with really boring people.

There definitely was an upside in that limited supply and like you said it helped to discover things that you otherwise wouldn't have. Today it's easy to end up in echo chambers and familiar personal patterns regarding entertainment, films, and TV series. Growing up I came to appreciate more what those limitations gave me. We got to see films from 30s to all the way to present times and the same with TV shows, like I love Lucy, Happy Days, Bill Cosby Show, Columbo, etc. and many of these we watched as a family. I got reruns of Star Trek OG and right after that TNG. How many 5 to 15-year-old kids would give now any chance of trying out TV shows or films 30, 40, or 50 years ago? Or tune in to the latest from Netflix, shuffle through TikTok, Youtube, etc.

For me, the limitations ended up giving a great perspective on life through popular culture immersing me into all those different eras at the same time...which I of course didn't realize at the time and nagged about why couldn't we have cable or more TVs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Yes people celebrate Easter in the USA and it affects the box office 

Even if Friday and Monday aren't off at school, family gatherings and easter baskets for the children are conmon

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1