kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The general audience obviously seems to be ignoring it.

That's actually very sad people would rather watch a terrible movie for free than pay a dollar for a good one, they have no right to complain about bad Hollywood if they don't take responsibility for this sorry state of things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TomThomas said:

That's actually very sad people would rather watch a terrible movie for free than pay a dollar for a good one, they have no right to complain about bad Hollywood if they don't take responsibility for this sorry state of things.

Been saying this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

A dollar? More like $10.75 for a matinee, and I live in a small town with a single theater that isn't a chain.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

A dollar? More like $10.75 for a matinee, and I live in a small town with a single theater that isn't a chain.

Not literally a dollar, I mean paying money in general.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

If pre-Covid, these films had gotten the same exact marketing push they received this year, I think so.

I've seen more marketing for Civil War and Challengers than I've seen for most other films this year, let alone indie films.

Were you around here pre-COVID? The conversations were the same, regarding how people came out just for tentpoles barring horror flicks and maaaybe one or two exceptions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

This is the part I don't understand, according to survey, the audience are hunger for something original but when something original great movie come out, nobody bother to care. 

https://www.indiewire.com/news/business/millennials-gen-z-want-original-movies-tv-not-remakes-survey-1234963638/

Millennials and Gen-Z Want Original Movies and TV, Not Remakes, New Streaming Survey Says

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Eh, $15M is still better than it probably would've made in September without a press tour. Expectations might've become inflated.

15m isn't really a high bar as a "better" position, considering there are many movies clear 15m OW mark during those strike months. 

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just for expectations setting, I feel like Bad Boys, Quiet Place, Twisters, and the two Shams films are the live action adult films I feel a ton of buzz for this summer besides the obvious Deadpool, with Fall Guy, Furiosa, Apes, Horizon, Bikeriders, Fly Me To The Moon and everything else disappointing. I also predict a minor breakout for Borderlands which has a fanbase and a disappointment for Alien Romulus despite the quality. I think all four of the big kids films should do fine.

Apes is only disappointing if you have crazy expectations for it imo

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is the part I don't understand, according to survey, the audience are hunger for something original but when something original great movie come out, nobody bother to care. 

https://www.indiewire.com/news/business/millennials-gen-z-want-original-movies-tv-not-remakes-survey-1234963638/

Millennials and Gen-Z Want Original Movies and TV, Not Remakes, New Streaming Survey Says

15m isn't really a high bar as a "better" position, considering there are many movies clear 15m OW mark during those strike months. 

It's human nature. People gaslight themselves into believing stuff. Yeah we want original stuff but when it comes they don't go and then come up with a million excuses why they didn't. I mean technically the Fall Guy is not original but for 95% of the audience it is.

• Like 4

Even if Fall Guy isn’t a massive theatrical hit (say, Bullet Train numbers) I have no doubt it’ll be a massive streaming hit a few months down the line.

Not an ideal situation for someone like me who is a cheerleader for movie theaters. But as long as the studios are happy enough to take high-budget risks on non-IP (or lower-profile IP) I’m happy.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Even if Fall Guy isn’t a massive theatrical hit (say, Bullet Train numbers) I have no doubt it’ll be a massive streaming hit a few months down the line.

Not an ideal situation for someone like me who is a cheerleader for movie theaters. But as long as the studios are happy enough to take high-budget risks on non-IP (or lower-profile IP) I’m happy.

Yeah in the case of Universal with the Fall Guy maybe they will be happy with 100-125 DOM with  200 OS and if it cleans up on streaming. But like you  I am a cheerleader for theaters and want to see these movies do better esp when they are good.

• Like 1

People need to stop sugarcoating it. 15M OW is a shit number for a highly promoted and 55M budgeted new release. It is fact.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People need to stop sugarcoating it. 15M OW is a shit number for a highly promoted and 55M budgeted new release. It is fact.

Hitting the nail on the head. That budget is insane for a movie like this. At the same I am sure Amazon can write it off pretty easily esp if it cleans up on streaming.

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah but's that why it was insane to spend 55 million on it before even marketing.

That's Amazon's problem (which I don't think they really see as one). From a ticket sale perspective I'm glad they did.

Whatever the "normal" amount of money to spend on a tennis movie is, this was what it cost to get one with Zendaya and a 90% tomatometer, so it was what needed to be spent.

Edited by AniNate