kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My mom or my brother go to the theater with me almost every weekend, so it's not like they are part of the "not going to theaters" problem. Mom hadn't even heard of the Fall Guy and neither had any interest in seeing it with me once they saw the trailer. They both definitely want to see Apes next week, though, and were very excited for Civil War. 

They really fucked up with the marketing. 

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Maybe. Hard to market a David Leitch pounding music in the background action movie beyond the 28-32 range. The only reason I'm even seeing it is because it got much better reviews than Bullet Train. Without that even I'd definitely skip it. I think people just expected kind of a dud. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Cruise hasn't been a draw outside of MI and TG in ages and he knows it. The Mummy, Valkarie, Knight & Day, Jack Reacher, American Made, Oblivion, even the great Edge of Tomorrow...none of them set the b.o. on fire. 

He is no different than Brad Pitt or Will Smith or any other 1990s king who is now pushing/past 60. They are draws in certain roles. That's it. Valkyrie was also a clear box office hit btw. 

Gen Z and tiktokers crave originality above all. This is actually an exciting time because studios are being forced out of the cookie cutter mcdonald's for every one type of approach. 

Edited by excel1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Maybe. Hard to market a David Leitch pounding music in the background action movie beyond the 28-32 range. The only reason I'm even seeing it is because it got much better reviews than Bullet Train. Without that even I'd definitely skip it. I think people just expected kind of a dud. 

I hear you. I liked the trailers though but that's me. Of course I am a age where a Bon Jovi and Journey songs work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Oh my God, let's not go there again please because it gets ridiculous. They didn't fuck up the marketing, trailers sold exactly what it is, it had more than enough promo and it even had Superbowl spot, Universal clearly had faith in it. People just don't care, it's that simple. Some different magic marketing wouldn't make this movie a big hit if what they did here wasn't enough.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Winston Duke wasn’t going to draw many people in regardless if he was promoted more or not. Ryan Gosling has always been more of a white women crush anyways. If they wanted to draw in more black women they should have cast someone like  Channing Tatum. 

Well, the percentage of women overall is not strong if that Deadline article is accurate. I believe that it is just another case of his internet devotees, once again, overstating his appeal           

Edited by PenguinHyphy

Solid hold for Challengers, especially with loss of IMAX and another wide release on its second weekend. It’s been blowing up social media after opening weekend. Tons of memes about/from it, with people taking videos from their theaters as well. Luca might’ve actually made a relatively commercial film.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

I have always been a 'glass is half full' person but I truly believe this. Gen Z and tiktokers crave originality above all. This is actually an exciting time because studios are being forced out of the cookie cutter mcdonald's for every one type of approach. 

Think of all genius and longstanding success that came out of the creative risks taken in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Feel like we are trending towards a period with that type of consumer demand again. It is a GREAT thing that last years biggest hits - Barbie, Spider-verse, Oppenheimer, Guardians 3, Wonka etc were all 80s or 90s on RT. Maverick, The Batman, Avatar in 2022.

Feel like this all going to pay big dividends in 2 or 3 years from now.  

Edited by excel1
  • Like 5
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Well, the percentage of women overall is not strong if that Deadline article is accurate. I believe that it is just another case of his internet devotees, once again, overstating his appeal           

Ryan Gosling is definitely one of those actors who straight men like much more than straight/bi women for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I have always been a 'glass is half full' person but I truly believe this. Gen Z and tiktokers crave originality above all. This is actually an exciting time because studios are being forced out of the cookie cutter mcdonald's for every one type of approach. 

Think of all genius and longstanding success that came out of the creative risks taken in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Feel like we are trending towards a period with that type of consumer demand again. It is a GREAT thing that last years biggest hits - Barbie, Spider-verse, Oppenheimer, Guardians 3, Wonka etc were all 80s or 90s on RT. Maverick, The Batman, Avatar in 2022.

Yeah good point. I think too many of us around here live in the moment and I include myself and well the current moment kind of blows chunks.  But in a month or so the moment might be great. That's how it goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justnumbers said:

Also. I have some questions about this "Summer Season Start" on the 1st week of May.

Why is this? Who says it? What it means? 

Is it Hollywood? The Business?

I don't think 1st weekend of May means anything to audiences. It's not their summer start. It just happens that there's always a big Marvel movie opening this week and that's why audiences rushed out. It's only a big weekend historically because there's a true event movie opening every year. 

It doesn't mean anything for audiences regarding a Summer Season start. I think the Summer Season start for audiences is the Memorial Day Weekend or at best the weekend before.

This fictional 1st weekend of May as a big weekend for audiences doesn't exist. It's just a Hollywood insider thing so you're just not going to force a movie like The Fall Guy into starting a early summer season being another action movie. It's just a mid sized movie (with a overblown budget) coming out in a calendar lacking big movies and no momentum.

May is also the month where the first schools get out. Also Universities often end their semesters in the first week of May. So yeah I would say it's fair to mark May as the beginning of the summer movie season.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, excel1 said:

He is no different than Brad Pitt or Will Smith or any other 1990s king who is now pushing/past 60. They are draws in certain roles. That's it. Valkyrie was also a clear box office hit btw. 

Gen Z and tiktokers crave originality above all. This is actually an exciting time because studios are being forced out of the cookie cutter mcdonald's for every one type of approach. 

The box office numbers disprove that, so why are people still trying to push that inane notion? They put out originals throughout the entire month of April, and they are not even going to outgross the Mean Girls musical that came out in January. Audiences today support IP way more than audiences in any other time throughout history. Excuses about not having the opportunity to support original stories because of studios not putting out original content are null and void                                                                

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I'm not sure Gen Z and Tiktokers really crave originality. There are many original movies that go unnoticed for them 

They crave for exciting things. That's why movies have become dependent on IP, because it's easier to be excited about a known IP.

Edited by Kon

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Ryan Gosling is definitely one of those actors who straight men like much more than straight/bi women for whatever reason.

His numbers with guys are not even that strong. He is another one of those actors, similar to Jake Gyllenhaal, who gets inflated way beyond reason on the internet, but the numbers never materialize at the box office. 

Posted (edited)

So we're probably gonna lose another $100 mil in rolling year lead this week, would put 23-24 at about $8.3 billion and 22-23 at about $8.2 billion. Not quite a recession yet and hopefully Apes can stall further decline for at least one week.

Edited by AniNate

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Oh my God, let's not go there again please because it gets ridiculous. They didn't fuck up the marketing, trailers sold exactly what it is, it had more than enough promo and it even had Superbowl spot, Universal clearly had faith in it. People just don't care, it's that simple. Some different magic marketing wouldn't make this movie a big hit if what they did here wasn't enough.

You are probably right.I am just making excuses. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

You almost got me till the second paragraph, nice bait :)

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The box office numbers disprove that, so why are people still trying to push that inane notion? They put out originals throughout the entire month of April, and they are not even going to outgross the Mean Girls musical that came out in January. Audiences today support IP way more than audiences in any other time throughout history. Excuses about not having the opportunity to support original stories because of studios not putting out original content are null and void                                                                

This is totally true.

I feel Gen Z craves for exciting things, while most original movies don't excite them. That's why movies depend on IP, since it's easier to be excited about a known IP.