kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Uh. I'll take your word for it. Not sure a Barbie movie, the 3rd Wonka movie, the 3rd Guardians movie, the 2nd Spider-verse movie, a Super Mario movie or Anoyone But You being a sleeper hit movie screams originality to me though. Or, the 3rd Minions movie (6th Despicable Me thing) that benefitted from Gentle Minions either for that matter.

Is Gen Z obsessed with EEAAO and Poor Things?

What are the movies that have this originality that are benefitting?

And did it actually benefit from whatever "gentle minions" was?

It just seems like the media grabbed hold of an online trend and acted like it was a phenomenon - like what happened when those 11 separate people recorded themselves using those Apple Vision headsets at coffee shops.

I promise you, the way I've seen my daughter and her friends avoid phone cameras like they're snipers, doesn't give me the impression that a horde of teenagers were rolling up to south London cinemas dressed in a suit to watch a children's movie. 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Eh, as much as I loved Pig idk if its director is considered hot atm. Maybe after AQP’s release.

Well he's got a Robin Hood project lined up now as well, definitely getting there

Just now, Boxofficerules said:

Can The Strangers: Chapter One do better than all the other 2024 horror movies?

The bar is probably the $24M that the 2018 Strangers movie made, so I wouldn't take that bet.

36 minutes ago, AJG said:

"Look at all these memes about this thing no one cares about" 

Remember: NCIS, Heartland, and Virgin River are three of the most streamed TV shows in America. They don't trend or go viral but people actually watch them. 

lol I wasn’t claiming it was a four-quadrant blockbuster, I was just saying WOM was giving it great legs.

(At least address me if you’re going to try to be snarky/bitter…)

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well he's got a Robin Hood project lined up now as well, definitely getting there

Yeah I read about that yesterday. He’s also got  an adaptation of a popular graphic novel in the works, so I definitely think his profile is gonna go up soon. Just depends on if Quiet Place hits (which I expect it to).

37 minutes ago, AJG said:

And did it actually benefit from whatever "gentle minions" was?

It just seems like the media grabbed hold of an online trend and acted like it was a phenomenon - like what happened when those 11 separate people recorded themselves using those Apple Vision headsets at coffee shops.

I promise you, the way I've seen my daughter and her friends avoid phone cameras like they're snipers, doesn't give me the impression that a horde of teenagers were rolling up to south London cinemas dressed in a suit to watch a children's movie. 

Gentleminions was a US trend for Minions Rise of Gru - and it was ENORMOUS for 13-25.  The movie was 89% under 25 OW.  And hugely, the 13-17 demo made up 34% of the crowd.  Or, more specifically, HS (not counting all the college kids who also went in on this - see the INCREDIBLE 89% under 25 number) delivered $42.534M of the 4 day $125.1M.  That's incredible.  That's one of the highest ever opens by demo for 13-17s...even counting Marvel and Star Wars.

And it was all because of that gentleminions trend.  When I saw the movie opening week, my theater was packed with dressed up teens and college students.  It was like arriving to prom as the chaperone. 

• Like 3

I know I’m not the first to say it, but Fall Guy’s marketing has been a mess. I saw the trailer and only found out much later the plot had something to do with the lead actor going missing, and a week before it opened the advertising pivoted from action-comedy to romantic-comedy. 

55 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Can The Strangers: Chapter One do better than all the other 2024 horror movies?

I’m going to say No. Under the last one.

It’s Lionsgate too. 

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

I have always been a 'glass is half full' person but I truly believe this. Gen Z and tiktokers crave originality above all. This is actually an exciting time because studios are being forced out of the cookie cutter mcdonald's for every one type of approach. 

Think of all genius and longstanding success that came out of the creative risks taken in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Feel like we are trending towards a period with that type of consumer demand again. It is a GREAT thing that last years biggest hits - Barbie, Spider-verse, Oppenheimer, Guardians 3, Wonka etc were all 80s or 90s on RT. Maverick, The Batman, Avatar in 2022.

Feel like this all going to pay big dividends in 2 or 3 years from now.  

You listed zero original movies.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The box office numbers disprove that, so why are people still trying to push that inane notion? They put out originals throughout the entire month of April, and they are not even going to outgross the Mean Girls musical that came out in January. Audiences today support IP way more than audiences in any other time throughout history. Excuses about not having the opportunity to support original stories because of studios not putting out original content are null and void                                                                

'Original takes on existing IP' is still original. 

Everyone should go back to the first days were Todd Phillips Joker film was announced. Everyone thought the concept was absurd and it would be a giant mess, especially if zero-box-office-pull nut job Joaquin Phoenix was cast as Joker. Think of ludicrous it would sound to say, at that time, that it's sequel would be a musical costarring Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn. Let's go a step further. Imagine the insanity of saying "we're going to do a Spider-man film where all 3 main interactions of the character show up together". The entire concept of Barbie film is utterly absurd on paper.

We're living in a time where outside the box takes on existing characters are not only welcomed, they feel borderline required for something to really explode. It's also translating into a lot of exciting new franchise tentpoles. 

Cookier cutter assembly line film-by-focus-group takes ala Marvel or obvious nostalgic cash grabs need more today than they did in 2015, which in my view is a very good thing. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

see my post above. Original, outside the box takes on existing IP is still original. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Shouldn't speak for them but I can only assume they mean a creative, unexpected take on a big IP? That only really applies to Barbie and, I guess AtSV from the titles they listed. But, AtSV is a sequel. I don't think it's necessarily why either was a huge hit either. Otherwise, I'm with you. I don't understand it.

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

see my post above. Original, outside the box takes on existing IP is still original. 

I’m sorry but you can’t just change the definition of a word like that. Original means “not based on an existing IP or a sequel.” That’s how everyone uses the word. The Beekeeper is original. Barbie is not. GOTG Vol 3 is definitely not.

Just because people haven’t seen a live-action Barbie film or a super cool animated Spider-Man film doesn’t mean they’re original. If Greta Gerwig made a film about a doll called Jessica who lived in Jessica Land with all the other Jessicas and Matts, that would be original. But she didn’t, she made a film based on the incredibly well-known Barbie brand.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I know I’m not the first to say it, but Fall Guy’s marketing has been a mess. I saw the trailer and only found out much later the plot had something to do with the lead actor going missing, and a week before it opened the advertising pivoted from action-comedy to romantic-comedy. 

Kind of what I was trying to say earlier and got yelled at. 

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It’s still just IP with large built-in audiences. The brand is a requirement to have success. I find that pretty sad when looking back to earlier decades.