kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

22 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This is not the thread to relitigate the artistic quality of Star Wars so put a sock in it now

Moderation

Yep. What he said. We don’t need this petty fanboy nonsense. Please move on to something else 

• Like 1

28m is a really solid number for a movie like TFG. It's just the budget and marketing they put into this.

Can still see free guy run domestically at best.

Yes starwars somehow found itself in conversation but hey it's may 4th.

Revenge of the sith is my favorite SW movie (it has its minor problems too) TPM and AOTC had their shining moments but where pretty bad overall.

On my catch up with everything starwars in covid . Jumping from 1 and 2  to ROTS was whiplash . It's not that ROTS is so different but everything in that movie was excuted so much better  and all the main hooks and thrusts of the story and whole trilogy  just land  surprisingly well .

Having rewatched PT last year. It definitely feels like George Lucas  had general well realized idea  of how he wanted the trilogy  to end but the process leading to the planned ending is where he messed up.

TPM and  AOTC and yeah don't want to say they are all bad ,they have moments of genuine  merit and provide set ups for ROTS

But overall  they just feel like functional movies  to get us to revenge of the sith. They feel bloated , underdeveloped in parts,story unnecessarily drags ,characters are all over the place and even some of the good things (dooku) are given less time,terrible CGI ,cringe dialogue  Politics though is a nice idea kind of drags.

Compare that to ROTS which just straightforward,jumps right into the action and actually focuses what we want to see " Anakin's fall and temptation to the dark side and the fall of the Jedi and rise of the empire, cuts out all the unnecessary baggage.

Yeah like Qui gon ,podrace and duel of fates  but overall don't think TPM needed to happen.

Think should hàve started Started the story straight from attack of the clones and fleshed out separatists and dooku more and proceeded from there. 

PT is like one really long movie with 2 subpar acts but a really strong  third act.

Have to give revenge of the sith credit. That movie has no right to be good as it is coming off the messes that   TPM  and AOTC were.

16 hours ago, excel1 said:

True, that explains why everyone lined up to see Harrison Ford return in BLADE RUNNER 49, Shwarzenegger - and later Linda Hamilton - return to Terminator, Keanu in MATRIX and BILL AND TED, the OGs in GHOSTBUSTERS 3 and 4, Keaton's Batman in FLASH, Ellen Burstyn in EXORCIST, Channing Tatum in MAGIC MIKE 3, Stallone in RAMBO 5, Vin Diesel in XXX 2, Damon in JASON BOURNE, Stiller in ZOOLANDER 2. How could we forget the giant success that was INDEPENDENCE DAY 2? Fans of course are still elated at Palpatines iconic return in Star Wars 9.

Reality is that "NOSTALGIA!!!" as the reasoning for success has a pretty shitty track record outside oof a few GIANT successes. Hard nostalgia pulls with certain actors in certain roles worked for DA FORCE AWAKENS and HALLOWEEN, but did little to nothing in pretty much every other attempt. Nostalgias track record with concepts-only is even worse, for every JURASSIC WORLD, there are 6 or 7 films like MIB: International, CHIPS, Charlies Angels, etc.

See things through the eyes of a normal fan. New major tentpole film had ever done anything like what occurred in NWH. It is inherently risky to take that approach. 

I don't come here that often anymore as I'm sure you know but you're on fire today my friend. I love these posts that you're coming out with. Keep it up. 😎

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I remember everyone hating this Star Wars film at the time. Children would’ve liked it and now they’re adults. Nostalgia and time.

Good Saturday hold for The Fall Guy, but too little too late. 

The Saturday hold does indicate Good word of mouth doesn't it? And if it does this could be one of those word of mouth darlings that has a terrific multiplier. I don't follow this stuff Nearly as much as I used to obviously but what were the opening weekend expectations for this film? After the success of Barbie and Ryan Gosling at the Oscars I would have thought maybe 40 million dollars would be in the cards? Is that off from what a lot of people thought here?

Does anyone have a list of the Saturday numbers? I saw on Twitter that Empire said the Fall guy did north of 10 million for Saturday but what about the Phantom menace?

Just something I had to get off my chest even though this has nothing to do with box office. I'm finally starting to watch vampire diaries. I became a fan of Nina Dobrev after she did her Christmas movie Love Hard. I just finished Lucifer so I decided to give the vampire diaries a shot. I had no idea that Kevin Williamson developed the whole thing. And I'm only five episodes into the first season but I picked up on so many pop culture references, Twilight similarities and Dawson Creek resets. And at least early on it totally shows that it's williamson. I feel like I'm watching Dawson's Creek but with vampires. There's also shades of Twilight as well. Not that he had anything to do with Twilight but I'm just mentioning that it feels like Twilight a little bit. 

Like I said this has nothing to do with box office I apologize for digressing but just thought it was really interesting that Dawson's Creek with vampires was the brainchild of Kevin Williamson. Anyway back to our regularly scheduled box office discussion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, baumer said:

The Saturday hold does indicate Good word of mouth doesn't it? And if it does this could be one of those word of mouth darlings that has a terrific multiplier. I don't follow this stuff Nearly as much as I used to obviously but what were the opening weekend expectations for this film? After the success of Barbie and Ryan Gosling at the Oscars I would have thought maybe 40 million dollars would be in the cards? Is that off from what a lot of people thought here?

I think many people in the forum (myself included) expected more than 28M OW, because it has a lot of promotion and good reviews.

That said, we seem to ignore the obvious. The concept of the movie wasn't so interesting for many people.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just something I had to get off my chest even though this has nothing to do with box office. I'm finally starting to watch vampire diaries. I became a fan of Nina Dobrev after she did her Christmas movie Love Hard. I just finished Lucifer so I decided to give the vampire diaries a shot. I had no idea that Kevin Williamson developed the whole thing. 

This is the most random thing I’ve expected to read here especially as I’m literally watching the show again for the first time in years while reading this. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

There was a time when opening the first weekend of May was a surefire Big OW.  I guess "Dune 2" "KP 4" and "Kong V Godzilla" started the summer off.   I watched "Fall Guy" in the 80's growing up, But I was unsure if this could translate to a huge Blockbuster.  I was thinking the whole romantic angle with Ryan and Emily were going to bring out more couples.

Adapting a TV Show for the Big Screen is always tricky and doesn't always work. But if the 28 Million est holds, that's only decent for starting out May honestly.   I guess "Planet of the Apes" will set the Summer off "Hopefully".   Also congrats to "Episode I".  I've listened to 25 years of people saying "Everyone hates this movie" yet both Re-releases in 2012 and now 2024 are putting up numbers because that movie was a "Moment" regardless of the criticism.   

Edited by filmscholar

1 hour ago, baumer said:

About $30-35M opening was the (realistic) expectation this whole time. Will be coming below those expectations though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So lot of complains about low opening of Fall Guy. Just watched its trailer. Couldn't get a single laugh. $28M seems right about what it should open to. Anyone expecting higher is their fault.

Second trailer was much better though.

17 hours ago, excel1 said:

True, that explains why everyone lined up to see Harrison Ford return in BLADE RUNNER 49, Shwarzenegger - and later Linda Hamilton - return to Terminator, Keanu in MATRIX and BILL AND TED, the OGs in GHOSTBUSTERS 3 and 4, Keaton's Batman in FLASH, Ellen Burstyn in EXORCIST, Channing Tatum in MAGIC MIKE 3, Stallone in RAMBO 5, Vin Diesel in XXX 2, Damon in JASON BOURNE, Stiller in ZOOLANDER 2. How could we forget the giant success that was INDEPENDENCE DAY 2? Fans of course are still elated at Palpatines iconic return in Star Wars 9.

Reality is that "NOSTALGIA!!!" as the reasoning for success has a pretty shitty track record outside oof a few GIANT successes. Hard nostalgia pulls with certain actors in certain roles worked for DA FORCE AWAKENS and HALLOWEEN, but did little to nothing in pretty much every other attempt. Nostalgias track record with concepts-only is even worse, for every JURASSIC WORLD, there are 6 or 7 films like MIB: International, CHIPS, Charlies Angels, etc.

See things through the eyes of a normal fan. New major tentpole film had ever done anything like what occurred in NWH. It is inherently risky to take that approach. 

Of course nostalgia works if it's done right. Many of the films/sequels that were created decades later were successful or at least people were definitely still interested in the brand (some of the films were just too expensive to be called hits): Halloween, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek, Rocky/Creed (ok, Rocky Balboa had a small budget), Expendables worked as an ensemble film, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, James Bond, Top Gun, several biopics surprised, Alien (Prometheus was at least worldwide a success)...

Or look at the Pirates of the Caribbean series (I mean no Smartphones and so on; of course the PotC series were mostly popular becomes of a lot of other things). Somehow you could even add Barbie.

And maybe Horizon, Garfield and Beetle Juice 2 become successful?

But the films based on nostalgia still have to be at least decent (Independence Day 2 e.g. was just terrible IMO, Terminator 5 and Indiana Jones 4 a letdown for many fans, Matrix 3 was already way less popular and successful than Matrix 2). You can't just take a brand and make a mediocre or bad film and think that moviegoers come back every time after one or several bad experiences.