AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

13 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Huh. But it hasn’t been released in several European countries yet and won’t be released in Japan till March...

This won't affect Japan because the vast majority prefer to see the dubbed version. Also, pirating is almost non-existent there. 

3 hours ago, kowhite said:

It was tracking initially like a slightly lower Moana.

Than...it fell further.

So not too surprised.  Still, whatever, great movie.  It’s beating it worldwide handily.

It's a shame that its late legs weren't as well as one could hope for after an amazing first three weeks, but it'll still get $200M+ and $500M+ OS, and Coco's audience reception is one of, if not the best for any Pixar film, if its 8.7 IMDb score, A+ Cinemascore and 95% audience score on RT is any indication. For me, it ranks at #4 of all Pixar films. The best I can describe Coco to anyone who hasn't watched it yet (WATCH IT) is that it's a near perfect blend of every Pixar film that came before it.

• Like 1

I promise there's no spoilers here!

Just got back from a 10am preview showing of Coco in the UK... and oh my oh my oh my

I must've cried several times and the visuals.. those songs... the story!

If you haven't seen this, I advise you to go watch it as soon as possible, it really is the best (and beautiful) animation of 2017. 

Also, I don't know much about Mexico's "Day of the Dead" traditions, but I feel like this film taught me all about it. I was able to connect with the film on multiple levels despite my lack of knowledge. I feel like this is going to play really well in Japan because of that, they appreciate family and I think that's all you need to be able to fall in love with this film! For anybody who's more familiar with the tradition, go watch this immediately - you'll fall in love instantly. 

I'd say this is definitely in top 3 Pixar for me, and perhaps with a rewatch it might creep up to 1st. Phenomenal job Disney, truly inspiring. :wub:

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, feasby007 said:

I promise there's no spoilers here!

Just got back from a 10am preview showing of Coco in the UK... and oh my oh my oh my

I must've cried several times and the visuals.. those songs... the story!

If you haven't seen this, I advise you to go watch it as soon as possible, it really is the best (and beautiful) animation of 2017. 

Also, I don't know much about Mexico's "Day of the Dead" traditions, but I feel like this film taught me all about it. I was able to connect with the film on multiple levels despite my lack of knowledge. I feel like this is going to play really well in Japan because of that, they appreciate family and I think that's all you need to be able to fall in love with this film! For anybody who's more familiar with the tradition, go watch this immediately - you'll fall in love instantly. 

I'd say this is definitely in top 3 Pixar for me, and perhaps with a rewatch it might creep up to 1st. Phenomenal job Disney, truly inspiring. :wub:

How well do you think Coco will be received in the UK based on the preview ticket sales, audience reception and WOM? I am trying toestimate how much Coco can expect to earn in UK but am having a hard time due to lack of data.

5 minutes ago, averagejoe said:

How well do you think Coco will be received in the UK based on the preview ticket sales, audience reception and WOM? I am trying toestimate how much Coco can expect to earn in UK but am having a hard time due to lack of data.

Well, I expect previews will do pretty well (maybe a couple million £), but I have no actual data. My basis is that my theater is a very quiet theater usually (I went to see Moana OW and there was 5 people in a theater for 250), but this first showing had about 30 or so. I'd expect it'll open well next weekend, possibly £3-5m with good legs. Pixar usually has decent legs for their original movies, so I'd hope it can reach £20m+ if the rest of the UK enjoy it as much as I did. 

The only other basis I have is that most of the audience were mums with 4 - 7 year olds. Maybe that was because it was 10 am, I don't know. But the children were quiet throughout the film, meaning they were likely not bored. Seems promising. Also about half the audience stayed during the credits to listen to the music! 

41 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

Does anyone know why there's no short film in front of Coco? It's the first pixar movie in 20 years to not have one... what gives?

They had the much discussed made for TV Frozen short in front of it for the first two weeks. 

The UK though had a re-release of Frozen that had that short included back in I think November.  So no repeat of it in front of Coco for the UK.  

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They had the much discussed made for TV Frozen short in front of it for the first two weeks. 

The UK though had a re-release of Frozen that had that short included back in I think November.  So no repeat of it in front of Coco for the UK.  

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Tree Billboards said:

Does anyone know why there's no short film in front of Coco? It's the first pixar movie in 20 years to not have one... what gives?

They attached the Frozen Olaf short with it.