AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

10 hours ago, portgas said:

After Pixar's latest movies, I don't expect anything good from Coco. They really need to step up their game and ditch the tired formula and cheap emotional manipulations.

Their latest movies, in reverse order:

Finding Dory: 94% RT (9th best of the year, with their weighted rating), highest grossing animated movie domestically

The Good Dinosaur: Yeah, that's a miss.

Inside Out: 98% RT (2nd best of the year, with their weighted rating), Best Animated Feature winner, 350m gross

If you're picking out TGD, then you're cherry picking the data.

10 hours ago, Hades said:

I agree. At least this is not a pointless Pixar sequel like Dory, Cars 2 and 3 or Toy Story 4.

Yeah. Dory was a huge miss and critical dumping ground.

10 hours ago, Hades said:

Speaking of tired formula WDAS twist villain, buddy comedy, road trip formula is also kinda getting old. Its no wonder why Illumination is doing so well.

Sure. WDAS is doing something wrong. In the past decade, the worst reviewed film they've made pulled an 84% on RT. In the past year, they have had two films pull a 95% or better. But they're doing something wrong. Sure.

7 hours ago, Hades said:

Hey, I mean at least they are ripping off a variety of stuff and not doing the same old buddy road movie for every film. The general audience will need a break from that formula, and that's where Illumination comes in. The animation market is big enough for the other studios (Sony animation, Dreamworks, etc) to do very well. They are due for a breakout film. We are not in the 90s anymore, no one should be afraid of Disney cornering the animation market. 

The best reviewed Illumination film is Despicable Me. That's at an 81% RT. Business-wise they do fine, but there isn't anything especially great about how they construct their films.

I doubt anyone is afraid of Disney cornering the market. 

• Like 3

It's kewl to trash Pixar these days. Went through the same things with Inside Out and Finding Dory (also TGD, but I can't deny that's scorched earth).

I remember back when Inside Out's teaser came out how people were so offended that Pixar dared to open the trailer with a montage of their previous films.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrMarosa said:

Originality is so overrated. Gimme a compelling story, relatable characters, thrilling suspense, laughs, emotional resonance and an ending that makes me cheer, and I'm good. So what if we have seen plot elements before? Show me a modern film that is 100 %, unequivocal ly, unquestionably original on every single frame, and I will show you a real, live mermaid/unicorn/gorgon hybrid.

Of cource you cannot have 100 percent originality but the closest I can think of is Inside Out (talking about animation.)  And IO had all the other elements that you described. That's what makes it possibly one of the best  animations ever imo.

• Like 2

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Of cource you cannot have 100 percent originality but the closest I can think of is Inside Out (talking about animation.)  And IO had all the other elements that you described. That's what makes it possibly one of the best  animations ever imo.

But even with that, I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw someone bring up "Herman's Head"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

But even with that, I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw someone bring up "Herman's Head"

I have never watched Herman's head in order to have an opinion. As I said, IO isn't 100 percent original of cource but of the holywood animation it was the closer I could think of.

20 minutes ago, YourMother said:

They should consider moving it in mid-October, it'd do $300M+ domestic easily.

I think Disney likes to keep "their slots", so to speak. AKA everyone knows they'll get a Disney animated movie, whether that be WD Animation Studios or Pixar, in mid June and during US Thanksgiving in late November, and sometimes in early March (Zootopia last year and Wreck-It Ralph 2 next year).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think Disney likes to keep "their slots", so to speak. AKA everyone knows they'll get a Disney animated movie, whether that be WD Animation Studios or Pixar, in mid June and during US Thanksgiving in late November, and sometimes in early March (Zootopia last year and Wreck-It Ralph 2 next year).

Still it'd be nice for them to break out of their comfort zone like February or October.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Zootopia going for March was outside of their "comfort zone" for animation. 

However WDAS released films in March before such as MTR, and WIR was supposed to open March 2013. March tends to be a great month other than Summer or Winter for an animated movie to open due to spring break.

• Like 1

Coco is going to open in October in Mexico. I think Pixar's banking on WOM being strong enough to drum up buzz pre-release. They'll probably be holding a bunch of early screenings in the US as well.

FWIW, their next "untitled Pixar" after Toy Story 4 is slated for a March release (guessing it's Mark Andrews' next film that's supposedly a sci-fi and aiming for an older audience).

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, YourMother said:

However WDAS released films in March before such as MTR, and WIR was supposed to open March 2013. March tends to be a great month other than Summer or Winter for an animated movie to open due to spring break.

Ice Age was the first animated film to break out in March, its a popular month for animated films, I think WB is the only studio not to have release a WAG film in that month as they have their films in February and September. 

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Coco is going to open in October in Mexico. I think Pixar's banking on WOM being strong enough to drum up buzz pre-release. They'll probably be holding a bunch of early screenings in the US as well.

FWIW, their next "untitled Pixar" after Toy Story 4 is slated for a March release (guessing it's Mark Andrews' next film that's supposedly a sci-fi and aiming for an older audience).

Zootopia was released a month early in many markets so I suspect Coco will capitalise on local holidays in many places and release in October, the only real competition is Lego Ninjago which probably will only do well in English speaking markets

• Like 1

Visually it looks great.
Good Trailer by Pixar's standard, I think this trailer is better than all of Dory's or Inside out's trailers that I've seen.

Indeed. Coco seems to have special "warmth" in it.
  • Like 2