AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

This, I think, will be a true test for the Pixar brand. I am hoping I am wrong, but I can't imagine this breaking out among non-Mexican, non-Hispanic audiences. Not because of the film being about Hispanics, but because I am having a hard time picturing at-large "mainstream" audiences falling in love with the concept of "cute skeletons/cute dead people." I can certainly see this being huge with Mexicans and Mexican Americans because el Día de los Muertos is a beloved holiday tradition in that culture. I hope that I am totally wrong because this looks amazing.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

This, I think, will be a true test for the Pixar brand. I am hoping I am wrong, but I can't imagine this breaking out among non-Mexican, non-Hispanic audiences. Not because of the film being about Hispanics, but because I am having a hard time picturing at-large "mainstream" audiences falling in love with the concept of "cute skeletons/cute dead people." I can certainly see this being huge with Mexicans and Mexican Americans because el Día de los Muertos is a beloved holiday tradition in that culture. I hope that I am totally wrong because this looks amazing.

I agree, but based on timing - pre-holiday (like late Sept/early Oct), I think this would sell like gangbusters...Thanksgiving/Christmas season, people have moved on b/c they've spent 2 months on the "spooky" holidays already and are sick of them (b/c pumpkin patches, hay rides, holiday decorations, etc are up Labor Day!).  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

And the creativity of the visuals is top notch. 

I dunno, the underworld and the Dia de los Muertes cemetery scenes just look like CGI-ed takes from The Book of Life. In fact the skeletal figures looked far more dynamic and effective in stop motion.  Here they just seem kinda bland and awkward.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

I dunno, the underworld and the Dia de los Muertes cemetery scenes just look like CGI-ed takes from The Book of Life. In fact the skeletal figures looked far more dynamic and effective in stop motion.  Here they just seem kinda bland and awkward.

Book of Life was CGI too.

• Like 4

eeeh, it looks really bad; would probably mistake it for a Dreamworks picture if I wasn't a film nerd. Feels a lot closer to the blandness of The Good Dinosaur than the inventiveness of Inside Out. 

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

eeeh, it looks really bad; would probably mistake it for a Dreamworks picture if I wasn't a film nerd. Feels a lot closer to the blandness of The Good Dinosaur than the inventiveness of Inside Out. 

Agreed, though I don't think it looks terrible, just a little obnoxious. 

• Like 2

I think the comparison is valid. It's easier to type Dreamworks than, say, Dreamworks/BluSky/Sony/WB/Etc, which is fair since they all basically making the same "90 min distraction for your child" kind of thing now.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

I think the comparison is valid. It's easier to type Dreamworks than, say, Dreamworks/BluSky/Sony/WB/Etc, which is fair since they all basically making the same "90 min distraction for your child" kind of thing now.

You could just say it looks like crap and pretty much convey the same thing. It's the go-to dismissive label whenever any Pixar trailer comes out and has lost whatever nuance it may have initially had.

I won't disagree that the ad is trying to cater to the base sense of humor of kids (like most ads for kids films do, good or bad). But hopeless as this sentiment may be on this forum I believe judgment should be reserved given the pedigree

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Goffe said:

So the Lego franchise, Coraline, Kubo, Boxtrolls, Paranorman, the Dragon franchise, Cloudy 1, and tons more are for kids only now.

• Like 1