AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

Book of Life is not well know by General Audiences. Coco will not be out for a while and has a Pixar brand helping and probably a different story and definately a different animation so I do not think it hurts that it is about the same holiday. Maybe it even will help that Book of Life came out so Dia de Los Muertos holiday is now more well-known. Kind of like Jurassic World might help The Good Dinosaur by making dinosaurs more popular (not that it is the same).

You'd be surprised. I see Book of Life a lot on the Internet, and my new workplace they even have one of the department bulletin board's themed to it. Of course the movie is less than a year old, but it's not exactly Free Birds. I don't think Coco will be the same film, but for now I'm curious to see the final product. After what happened with Newt, this has to have a lot more going with it, so I'm definitely excited.

To be fair, Rio's existence was not the sole reason for Newt getting canned, if it was a reason at all. From what I understand, Rydstrom left the project due to creative differences/story problems, Docter was brought on to try to save it, he couldn't/wanted to do Inside Out instead, so Newt was put on ice.

I could actually see Newt getting pulled out of story purgatory in the near/far future if it's seen to have potential and someone can make it work, much like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and The Snow Queen. Who knows?

Edited by TServo2049

Separating this from The Book of Life is going to this film's number one adversity. This isn't like Inside Out where there were plenty of shows, shorts and even actual Disney theme park attractions that vaguely resembles the premise. This is an animated CGI film about Dia De Los Muertos that focuses on a character who carries around a guitar. Holy shit. Pixar has their work cut out for them, but I think they can do it.

Lee Unkrich, do your thing. I have faith in you.

I am really happy this did not end up like NEWT, a movie RIO had killed.

Edited by kayumanggi

To be fair, Rio's existence was not the sole reason for Newt getting canned, if it was a reason at all. From what I understand, Rydstrom left the project due to creative differences/story problems, Docter was brought on to try to save it, he couldn't/wanted to do Inside Out instead, so Newt was put on ice.

Considering what Rydstrom ended up doing instead, it's hard not to think Pixar may have had good reason for canning it

• Like 2

I believe Rio's existence was the reason after Docter passed on it that Lasseter cancelled it. Think about how many failed Pixar projects there have ever been? Just one: Newt. 

The production problems added to it, but Rio was the thing that in the end fully did it in. The hope that "Coco" has is that Unkrich seems to really know what he's doing here.

I believe Rio's existence was the reason after Docter passed on it that Lasseter cancelled it. Think about how many failed Pixar projects there have ever been? Just one: Newt. 

The production problems added to it, but Rio was the thing that in the end fully did it in. The hope that "Coco" has is that Unkrich seems to really know what he's doing here.

And I have the feeling the approach will be very different from THE BOOK OF LIFE despite having the same theme.

Oh dear.

I was excited for this, but the basic description doesn't fill me full of hope. It does sound a bit much like The Book of Life, which at least had the advantage of being made by a Mexican and Latino crew.  I'm not sure about Pixar's ability to represent a different culture and I hope that at the very least they do their research and hire some cultural advisors (preferably ones who are actually Mexican or Mexican-American)

You don't think they have? These movies go through like years of research and development before they're made. All the animators on Finding Nemo had to take a course in fish physiology and they brought in a bunch of mental health professors for Inside Out.