AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

10 days back it was 18 ahead of Tangled. Now it's 11 ahead. If Coco keeps this lead intact, which imo it won't as Tangled continued to have strong legs towards the end, it will do 211m dom. But considering Tangled will eat into the lead further, I think 205m is more like it.

Ratatouille's 206 unadjusted dom is a worthy target now. (It always was a worthy target realistically but the Coco's great ow and then matching Moana's dailies for a few days and beating it at times raised expectations to 220, 230, 240, 250! :lol:...was one of them too :ph34r:).

Edited by a2knet

It's probably because schools are still out, but this is starting catch back up with Moana's dailies, and they're a good deal ahead of Happy Feet and Tangled. We'll see how things pan out next week compared to Moana.

If it starts falling behind again, it'll probably wind up with ~$205M. If it keeps up, maybe around $10-15M more than that.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

I heard more hate to the short, than love to the movie. Which is really sad.

Coco is like top tier Pixar.

It's definitely top five or six best Pixar for me. It's really amazing, with some of their absolute best animation, and I really appreciated the film's theme of family. I wish it was doing better, but 200m is a solid number.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RandomYojimbo said:

I heard more hate to the short, than love to the movie. Which is really sad.

Coco is like top tier Pixar.

Came here to extol those dailies. Wow. Nice legs toward the end. I think alot of the angst over the short was generated by writers and critics. I didn’t hear any moviegoers complaining about it but that’s just in my neck of the woods. 

5 hours ago, lilmac said:

Came here to extol those dailies. Wow. Nice legs toward the end. I think alot of the angst over the short was generated by writers and critics. I didn’t hear any moviegoers complaining about it but that’s just in my neck of the woods. 

I heard it in my screening. I don't think I've heard positive about the short.

I know y'all can see my review in RTM but I just wanna say here how much I adore this film. It sneakily made its way up from #6 of the year to my #1. I've seen it four times and cried more every time. I legitimately think it might be Pixar's best directed film ever. The script is so tight too, and barring one nitpick, I find it absolutely enchanting and perfect. I regret doubting it earlier this year, because Unkrich, Molina, and everyone at Pixar really made something special here.

Wish it was doing better domestically, but those WW numbers are still fantastic. I can't get mad about this movie; it's too good.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Poe Blankeron said:

I know y'all can see my review in RTM but I just wanna say here how much I adore this film. It sneakily made its way up from #6 of the year to my #1. I've seen it four times and cried more every time. I legitimately think it might be Pixar's best directed film ever. The script is so tight too, and barring one nitpick, I find it absolutely enchanting and perfect. I regret doubting it earlier this year, because Unkrich, Molina, and everyone at Pixar really made something special here.

Wish it was doing better domestically, but those WW numbers are still fantastic. I can't get mad about this movie; it's too good.

I'm curious what your one nitpick was.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 hours ago, Poe Blankeron said:

Share the nitpick!

serving-cinema-sag-awards-meryl-streep-j

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

LOL since y'all want it, on the subject of nitpicks BIG SPOILERS:

There's some stuff that really bothered me the first few times. Namely the first fifteen minutes dragging and the random dumb action in the third act at the Sunrise Spectacular. However, I don't know how you compress those first fifteen minutes without losing the important exposition and emotional connection needed to be laid down, so I don't mind that at all. Likewise, the dumb action is done so quickly and is bookended by some of the film's best scenes, so again I don't mind it. I'm also not a fan of the gravitas the film immediately assigns Pepita, but it just feels a bit over-the-top, not actually bothersome.

But the nitpick that prevails is the random camera that captures Ernesto's attempted murder of Miguel. It's way too reminiscent of the same plot device used in Monsters Inc. I understand that movie came out 16 years ago, but literally everytime I see the movie, I just think of "I'll kidnap a thousand children before I let this company die" rather than what Ernesto is actually saying. There had to be a better way to reveal Ernesto's sinister nature to the Land of the Dead than that, and even though, like the dumb action, it's surrounded by great scenes, this is such a pivotal moment in the film's story that I definitely think it could've been reworked.

• Like 4

Does Coco still have enough momentum so that its final domestic number added up to that of China and Mexico is over $450m?

The current total for the 3 countries is $182m (China) + $57m (Mexico) + $188m (Dom) = $427m.

The China Box Office thread expects Coco to finish with around $186m-$188m in China, which means it will need $205m-$207m final domestically in order for the 3 territories combined to reach $450m. So is $207m within reach for Coco?

2 hours ago, averagejoe said:

Does Coco still have enough momentum so that its final domestic number added up to that of China and Mexico is over $450m?

The current total for the 3 countries is $182m (China) + $57m (Mexico) + $188m (Dom) = $427m.

The China Box Office thread expects Coco to finish with around $186m-$188m in China, which means it will need $205m-$207m final domestically in order for the 3 territories combined to reach $450m. So is $207m within reach for Coco?

Very much so.  It's estimated to have a great hold this w/e about $192m off a $6m w/e.   Moana made another $23.4m off a $6.3m w/e.  If Coco paces the same from here on out it would finish with $214m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, averagejoe said:

It surely is.

19 hours ago, Poe Blankeron said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not quite what I was expecting.

Spoiler

I thought it would be that the camera is Camera 3. and then we see another camera be identified as camera 3. 

• Disbelief 1

19 hours ago, Poe Blankeron said:

Hide contents

There's some stuff that really bothered me the first few times. Namely the first fifteen minutes dragging and the random dumb action in the third act at the Sunrise Spectacular. However, I don't know how you compress those first fifteen minutes without losing the important exposition and emotional connection needed to be laid down, so I don't mind that at all. Likewise, the dumb action is done so quickly and is bookended by some of the film's best scenes, so again I don't mind it. I'm also not a fan of the gravitas the film immediately assigns Pepita, but it just feels a bit over-the-top, not actually bothersome.

But the nitpick that prevails is the random camera that captures Ernesto's attempted murder of Miguel. It's way too reminiscent of the same plot device used in Monsters Inc. I understand that movie came out 16 years ago, but literally everytime I see the movie, I just think of "I'll kidnap a thousand children before I let this company die" rather than what Ernesto is actually saying. There had to be a better way to reveal Ernesto's sinister nature to the Land of the Dead than that, and even though, like the dumb action, it's surrounded by great scenes, this is such a pivotal moment in the film's story that I definitely think it could've been reworked.

I actually agree with this. That's the one thing that irks me a little in a movie that it is otherwise excellent. Just the convenience of it all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BK007 said:

I actually agree with this. That's the one thing that irks me a little in a movie that it is otherwise excellent. Just the convenience of it all.

I will say it makes a bit more sense than aforementioned event in another movie, given the location it's taking place and the circumstances of the event happening at the time.  But it does seem convenient about the exact timing.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1