AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

On 11/14/2017 at 8:29 PM, damnitgeorge08 said:

I will be happy with a mini zootopia performance in china.

china always tough to gauge:

zootp $230m, dm3 $160m and cars3 $20m ($5m less than smurfs3)

on the lower end i hope coco does not go below $50m. if wom is great then that's king in china like movies like zootp or dangal show. can see $100+ in that case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

This hurts me... even more than the Kevin Spacey scandal.

John Lasseter was my first movie idol ever since I saw him in the documentaries of my Disney DVD collection. His childlike wonder and passion for his work is what made me like him both as an artist and as a person. He was a role model to me and the reason why I deeply love animation in general and the first person who made me understand at a young age that to make a great movie, story comes first. And of course his efforts to revive Disney Animation made me respect him even more.

Now I see this and I honestly feel betrayed, heartbroken and baffled. I don't know how to handle this. I want this sexual harrasment nightmare to end.

Calm down, it's just a man, he's not the only one at Pixar doing all this.

Pixar/WDAS are studios with many employees working hard to make great animation. Lasseter's misdeeds won't change my mind about these studios.

And what the author of Kenshin did (pedophilia) was way worse anyway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hades said:

Is it true the Frozen short is beyond bad.....like even worse than the Frozen film itself? Is that possible? 

Given the Frozen film is great I really don't know what you're talking about :jeb!:

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Given the Frozen film is great I really don't know what you're talking about :jeb!:

Its not great. Its not even half as good as Zootopia,  Moana or even Tangled . It got lucky with some overrated songs that people were obsessed with for some reason...They can't replicate that again and all these pointless shorts will just make people tired of these characters..   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

This hurts me... even more than the Kevin Spacey scandal.

John Lasseter was my first movie idol ever since I saw him in the documentaries of my Disney DVD collection. His childlike wonder and passion for his work is what made me like him both as an artist and as a person. He was a role model to me and the reason why I deeply love animation in general and the first person who made me understand at a young age that to make a great movie, story comes first. And of course his efforts to revive Disney Animation made me respect him even more.

Now I see this and I honestly feel betrayed, heartbroken and baffled. I don't know how to handle this. I want this sexual harrasment nightmare to end.

There will be more to come because this is already woven into society.

It will end once society begins to hold these people accountable and stop providing them with the opportunity and environment to do so.

Don't have anything to add to the Lasseter discussion. Even though he is one of the founding fathers of contemporary animation and one of the 1st filmmakers I grew attached to, misconduct on this degree is unacceptable. Can only hope Pixar and WDAS aren't shaken by storm to the brunt that I fear they might.

• Like 2

Social media as judge, jury, executioner is something I rarely get behind.  It is without all the information and "Justice" can be dispensed very unfairly with much collateral damage.  From many people it also rings hollow.  i wonder what would happen if and when a founder/CEO/high level executive at a major company we're implicated such as Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc.  Would people stop using those things?  I think far fewer people would take a stand then vs the number (percentage) that will against a movie they were likely not going to watch anyway.

All that said, I haven't been on the forums longer than a few months, but I don't think Lasseter has much mainstream recognition compared to a popular actor.  I hadn't heard of him until yesterday and it certainly didn't keep me from watching the movie.  

Disney/Pixar at it's best. Stunning visuals. Great characters. Incredible world building. Emotional beats that feel less telegraphed than Inside Out. Some aspects are a bit predictable as far as storytelling but it's still executed so well.

Hope the controversy doesn't destroy it.

On a side note: Wasn't expecting the Frozen short to be a full Christmas/Holiday special and to have so many new songs. It's 30 minutes. I counted it. That alone should get a lot of people into theaters and I quite enjoyed that too. Some of the music there was strong and I can see that alone being something that kids want to see again and again. 

Edited by somebody85

4 hours ago, Hades said:

Is it true the Frozen short is beyond bad.....like even worse than the Frozen film itself? Is that possible? 

No, it's actually pretty good. There are a lot of new songs in it and kids will love it for all the new Elsa/Anna connections that tie in themes from the original. 

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Disney/Pixar at it's best. Stunning visuals. Great characters. Incredible world building. Emotional beats that feel less telegraphed than Inside Out. Some aspects are a bit predictable as far as storytelling but it's still executed so well.

Hope the controversy doesn't destroy it.

On a side note: Wasn't expecting the Frozen short to be a full Christmas/Holiday special and to have so many new songs. It's 30 minutes. I counted it. That alone should get a lot of people into theaters and I quite enjoyed that too. Some of the music there was strong and I can see that alone being something that kids want to see again and again. 

About sums it up for me too.  The Frozen short not my thing but it wasnt bad or annoying - will be well liked as a whole by most I think on account of Christmas sentiment/singing etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

About sums it up for me too.  The Frozen short not my thing but it wasnt bad or annoying - will be well liked as a whole by most I think on account of Christmas sentiment/singing etc.

Yeah for a film I originally thought would have done better around Halloween due to the theme, the Frozen short pulled me right into the holiday season and some of the songs were better than the ones in the movie. I was expecting it to focus mostly on Olaf and not Elsa/Anna but it does a solid job in connecting the sisters bond from the original into it's holiday theme. Didn't feel forced and I can see little girls (or any fans of the original) really loving it.