AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

Yes, Disney wasn't expecting it to pass the censorship at all, they almost gave up release the movie like they did TGD.

OD is looking at $1.5M or so, if it turns out to be another Croods , $40-50M is still possible, but ATM we better hold on to $15-20M!

• Like 2

If Disney knew only some days ago that Coco could release in China ... maybe it's gonna start with quite few screens due to such a short time to organize the opening.

Does anyone know in how many screens is Coco opening in China? And for comparison, how many had JL and Thor 3 on their opening weekends, for example. 

5 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

If Disney knew only some days ago that Coco could release in China ... maybe it's gonna start with quite few screens due to such a short time to organize the opening.

Does anyone know in how many screens is Coco opening in China? And for comparison, how many had JL and Thor 3 on their opening weekends, for example. 

Coco has 27k showings today on Opening day, in comparison Justice League has 53k on its 8th day.

EDIT: Justice League had 117k showings on opening day and Thor had 114k

EDIT2: Zootopia had 29k showings on Opening day, and 38k and 41k on Sat and Sun. Depending on how tomorrow looks after today, Coco could be in for a zootopia like run

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 2

Movie's wonderful. Wasn't a shock to me personally but it plays just as well as a Thanksgiving movie as a DDLM movie. Not hard to see why WOM is so great.

Frozen short is deadly dull and cloying when focused on Anna and Elsa but picks up energy when it's on Olaf, and the ending is pretty sweet. But I can definitely see it testing kids' patience.

• Like 5

I saw this today and liked it.  The Frozen short almost put me to sleep :P

but overall Coco was really good.  I'd say at least a B+.  It dragged in the middle a bit, but not enough to really hurt the film at all.

I can see why this is doing pretty well right now

This wasn't as flawlessly crafted as Pixar's best - there are some pacing issues with both of the first two acts - but the third act is triumphantly executed and overall it ends up having the strongest heart at its center of any Pixar film since TS3. As such, it is easily my favorite of theirs since TS3. The land of the dead is absolutely stunning and gives this some of the best visuals in animation history. I can definitely buy those reports that it's the second most expensive animated film ever made because it certainly looks like it is. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Why would that be prohibited in China? It's an animated movie without violence, blood or sex! :o

Glad it got a Chinese release anyway :)

ghost is not allowed to be shown on TV/cinema

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

:o

I guess there's a cultural reason for that? Out of respect for the deceased?

Quite the contrary, Chinese culture has no objection to depictions of ghosts (and many such depictions can be found in Taiwan/HK cinema). The prohibition is from the Communist Party's insistence on secularism.

(edit: that's the longer version of what's already been posted above)

Edited by Jason
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Why would that be prohibited in China? It's an animated movie without violence, blood or sex! :o

Glad it got a Chinese release anyway :)

4 hours ago, Olive Skywalker said:

ghost is not allowed to be shown on TV/cinema

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Quite the contrary, Chinese culture has no objection to depictions of ghosts (and many such depictions can be found in Taiwan/HK cinema). The prohibition is from the Communist Party's insistence on secularism.

(edit: that's the longer version of what's already been posted above)

That's why they didn't released Suicide Squad in China, because of the word "Suicide"in the title.

For example, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales i think it was released in China as POTC:Salazar's Revenge, to avoid political banning. 

24 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

That's why they didn't released Suicide Squad in China, because of the word "Suicide"in the title.

For example, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales i think it was released in China as POTC:Salazar's Revenge, to avoid political banning. 

No, POTC5 subtitle is " No testimony of death"(死無對證)

• Thanks 1