AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

Coco is a fine title, but I thought the original title was better. But either way, I'm happy this project hasn't fallen apart somehow and that Pixar is actually making their very first movie musical. I'm game!

If they had gone with the Dia de Los Muertos title, it could have risked raising the ire of the Mexican community again. Remember a couple of years ago when Disney tried to trademark the phrase for film use, and a bunch of people flipped out and accused them of hijacking/appropriating Mexican culture? (I specifically remember a Cartoon Brew article trashing Disney, and holding up Book of Life as the "true" Dia de Los Muertos movie, by virtue of actually having been conceived by a Mexican.)

I think Coco is good, and fits with the whole "short title" ethos at Disney/Pixar.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

If they had gone with the Dia de Los Muertos title, it could have risked raising the ire of the Mexican community again. Remember a couple of years ago when Disney tried to trademark the phrase, and a bunch of people flipped out and accused them of hijacking/appropriating Mexican culture? I think Coco is good, and fits with the whole " short title" ethos at Disney/Pixar.

Yeah, I guess. Plus it fits with Disney's generic titles, and it's not a bad name for a film either.

Edited by Insidearcher

Expect big numbers from Latin America.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2