Monday: $2.4 million

Tuesday: $3.4 million

Wednesday: $2.2 million 
Thursday: $2 million

Friday: $7 million

Saturday: $13.5 million

Sunday: $9.5 million

$30 million weekend (-45%) / $117 million 10 Day

After Zootopia, Moana, and now this in the last year and a half, it actually makes me angry to realize both WDAS and Pixar have nothing but sequels on their slate now. Granted I'm very excited for two of those four sequels, but the last two years proved that both studios really shine in quality and at the box office with original ideas. Sequels should take a backseat, not the other way around. This is made even more troubling by the prospect that there's a good chance Zootopia 2 and Inside Out 2 could be the next films announced from each studio.  Really hope neither happens, or at least not for a long time yet. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, a2knet said:

how does this sound:

240 dom + 85 china + 45 japan + 55 mexico + 300 rest-of-os = 725 ww

china and japan both could go higher, especially china considering it's exploding.

750+ ww on the cards?

A lot more reasonable than the billion dollar discussion, which is a bit far fetched.

• Like 1

I blame the fans for WIR 2 and Frozen 2. They incessantly demanded sequels to both the moment they came out and with the apparent growing pains WDA is going through now they didn't have much of a reason to resist.

Incredibles I guess was inevitable and I'm cautiously optimistic. TS4 though is going to have some hellish baggage now and even if it is good I think the franchise may have a taint on it. But honestly I'm not particularly excited for the Scanlon original fantasy movie either because he doesn't have an Unkrich/Docter pedigree and the plot doesn't sound like anything Pixar hasn't done before.

Edited by tribefan695

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

After Zootopia, Moana, and now this in the last year and a half, it actually makes me angry to realize both WDAS and Pixar have nothing but sequels on their slate now. Granted I'm very excited for two of those four sequels, but the last two years proved that both studios really shine in quality and at the box office with original ideas. Sequels should take a backseat, not the other way around. This is made even more troubling by the prospect that there's a good chance Zootopia 2 and Inside Out 2 could be the next films announced from each studio.  Really hope neither happens, or at least not for a long time yet. 

I'm not concerned. They'll always come back with new ideas. And some new ideas warrant sequels.

• Like 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

I blame the fans for WIR 2 and Frozen 2. They incessantly demanded sequels to both the moment they came out and with the apparent growing pains WDA is going through now they didn't have much of a reason to resist.

Incredibles I guess was inevitable and I'm cautiously optimistic. TS4 though is going to have some hellish baggage now and even if it is good I think the franchise may have a taint on it. But honestly I'm not particularly excited for the Scanlon fantasy movie yet because he doesn't have an Unkrich/Docter pedigree and the plot doesn't sound like anything Pixar hasn't done before.

Frozen 2 was unavoidable no matter what sadly. There was just no way the big wigs weren't going to demand it happen after what Frozen was in the pop culture landscape. So I'll give them a pass for it, even though I really hate that it has to exist over an original feature. WiR has always been one of the few WDA films that felt like it was made to have a sequel, much like Incredibles always did. But I wish now it would have been delayed a few years down the pipeline for something original first. I have never been on board with Zootopia 2. Feels completely unnecessary and doesn't need to happen just because the first one was a huge hit anymore than a theatrical sequel to something like The Lion King needed to happen. There should legitimately be a "sequel ban" for both studios following 2019, and no more before the middle of next decade. Even though I know better than to think that will actually happen. 

I think/hope Pixar will be getting back into focusing on originals in the 2020s decade, but even then I'm not expecting they'll get back to the consistency of the 90s/2000s. With Lasseter in exile and Bird/Stanton in part-time roles, they'll have to keep testing out new talent and they'll probably still be missing on occasion. I do think Mark Andrews and Peter Sohn have potential and I'd really like to see what they could do with their own concepts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think/hope Pixar will be getting back into focusing on originals in the 2020s decade, but even then I'm not expecting they'll get back to the consistency of the 90s/2000s. With Lasseter in exile and Bird/Stanton in part-time roles, they'll have to keep testing out new talent and they'll probably still be missing on occasion. I do think Mark Andrews and Peter Sohn have potential and I'd really like to see what they could do with their own concepts.

My bigger concern is with WDA and sequels. With Gigantic being cancelled and all the murmurs of Zootopia 2 since shortly after it released, I'm very worried they're falling  into a nasty rut where they're just going to want to make sequels to the 2010-2016 Revival films. I can see Zootopia 2 and Tangled 2 being their next films after WiR2 and Frozen 2, and then we could head right into *shudders* Frozen 3 from there. 

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is made even more troubling by the prospect that there's a good chance Zootopia 2 and Inside Out 2 could be the next films announced from each studio.  Really hope neither happens, or at least not for a long time yet. 

Probably won't happen. Toy Story 4 is supposed to be last sequel from Pixar for quite some time, but I'll believe it when I see what their 2020 films are. The Zootopia directors have their hands full with other projects right now (Rich Moore has Wreck-It Ralph 2, Byron Howard is co-directing something with Lin-Manuel Miranda), and apparently the 2020 WDAS film is being directed by Paul Briggs (someone asked him on Twitter), so it's probably an original.

Edit: And Tangled 2 is technically already made.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've just always loved that WDA has traditionally steered clear of sequels and would like for them to go back to that following Frozen 2. It just feels more true to the brand of a WDA feature. I'm fine with Pixar being a mix of originals/sequels, especially since they've established that as their brand and do it fairly well with the exception of the Cars franchise. 

• Like 1