AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I've just always loved that WDA has traditionally steered clear of sequels and would like for them to go back to that following Frozen 2. It just feels more true to the brand of a WDA feature. I'm fine with Pixar being a mix of originals/sequels, especially since they've established that as their brand and do it fairly well with the exception of the Cars franchise. 

I still want a sequel to Zootopia , so I hope WDAS stays in the sequel lane for at least until then.

13 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Nice little WOM boost. 8.1M twitter followers

More Celebrity high praise.  

5M followers.

I don't use Facebook so I don't know, but expect similar strong celebrity endorsements with far bigger reach there than on twitter

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, YourMother said:

With Lassiter spearheading TS4, I’m pretty sure it may get axed.

This isn't Cars 3. 

It's slated for release in a year and a half so they must have been in production for it for about 2 years.  No way are they going to eat that cost and ax a sequel to a $1b+ movie. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The glory of TS ended with #2, so it feels entirely expected that Pixar's gonna keep cranking out the same sequel for the next decade or so. 

Oh, Tele, you cranky codger.

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

This isn't Cars 3. 

It's slated for release in a year and a half so they must have been in production for it for about 2 years.  No way are they going to eat that cost and ax a sequel to a $1b+ movie. 

It actually has been in pre-production for a very long time. When Rickles died, it was noted that the film had yet to move into production and he recorded no lines. I think the possibility for the axe is there, but it has to be soon.

I'm glad for all the Coco reactions, outside of this movie and Inside Out it has been a little hard to care for PIXAR movies this decade. In 2010 I believed PIXAR can do no wrong, but they 've went through a BIG creative slump for their standards since then. 

I don't mind the Cars sequels. The second one is bad and probably I'll never gonna watch the third, but I understand why they got made. There was never any doubt that they were made for any reason other than to sell toys and it's easier to ignore them because of it.

And I'm not crazy about the belated legacy sequels. Yep they 're guaranteed to make huge money and get at least some critic support riding on the nostalgic love for the originals, but they re just a little forgettable in the end. Less than a year after I saw Dory I can't remember a single thing that happens in that movie even if I found it "fine" when I saw it. MU was the same. Incredibles 2 and TS4 I fear they 'll follow the same pattern.

I think PIXAR's main creative struggle long term though is not forgettable sequels, it's passing the torch to the next generation of talents that will create the future classics. After the TS3 victory lap the new original movies were supposed to serve as the passing the torch moment to newer directors and those movies were Brave and Good Dinosaur. 7 years later and PIXAR is still 100% relying on the same 5 guys and they 're a man down because Lasseter got outed as a creep.

• Like 4

This movie's great and that's from someone who doesn't care for animated movies (Brave is the worst movie I've ever seen). We reserved seats and skipped Frozen Crap, came at the end and watched the movie straight, muahahahah. Highly recommendable to everyone to do this. 

Edited by Valonqar

39 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This movie's great and that's from someone who doesn't care for animated movies (Brave is the worst movie I've ever seen). We reserved seats and skipped Frozen Crap, came at the end and watched the movie straight, muahahahah. Highly recommendable to everyone to do this. 

That is literally my plan today...I timed it the first time I went to the showing, from 1:35 to like 2:10 it was trailers and that Frozen crap.

My only regret is that I will miss that Wrinkle in Time trailer. 

Finally saw the Frozen short. It's insane that's upfront of this movie. What would have been a cute 20 minutes of tv is now a forgettable slog to a truly excellent film. 

Saw Coco a second time, and while no heavy sobs, I did find myself tearing up at other parts of the movie, knowing the full context of these actions.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

The worst movie you have EVER seen?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1