AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

18 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

China's gross now outpacing NA's

https://qz.com/1161335/pixars-coco-has-made-more-money-in-china-than-north-america/

That's honestly quite impressive. Its Mexico performance was a surprise but i never would have expected this. Between this and Zootopia it seems Disney fever is seriously catching on there. 

Only thing that stops me from going all the way and predicting this to cross 1B worldwide is the slower US performance; but even then, Despicable Me 3 did 1B with only 260+ DOM. If it reaches 200+ in China, and breaks out in Japan and Europe both, there's an off chance.

1 hour ago, Noodlebug said:

While this movie is doing good, I feel like the political climate in this country is kind of hampering it a bit. Is a certain sect of American society ignoring it because of it's representation?

Perhaps, but at the same time the US Latino population is the highest it's ever been. I feel like at worst they're balancing each other out.

Plus, as I hoped, it has indeed been avoiding much in the way of racially charged thinkpieces.

Edited by tribefan695

I wonder why they didn't release it in the US around the same time as Mexico. It would have been fitting because it would be around Halloween and Day of the Dead, it would surely be in theaters around Thanksgiving, and it would have made a lot more of its gross before being hampered by SW8 (which I loved by the way)

• Like 1

It seems to be holding really well this weekend.  I'm hoping if Ferdinand's numbers continue to drop the way they're trending that Coco will surge ahead of it again next week (barring more theater drops, of course)

7 hours ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

I wonder why they didn't release it in the US around the same time as Mexico. It would have been fitting because it would be around Halloween and Day of the Dead, it would surely be in theaters around Thanksgiving, and it would have made a lot more of its gross before being hampered by SW8 (which I loved by the way)

Because then they should have to have pushed Thor 3 forward... closer to JL. 

26 minutes ago, BK007 said:

So, since Star Wars dominates the numbers thread, there's no room for Coco.

Kinda sad that it is being dominated by Tangled now too. Guess the schedule really killed it. :/

At least will pass Tangled total... and maybe we have some good surprises along this week and the next, who knows

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

So, since Star Wars dominates the numbers thread, there's no room for Coco.

Kinda sad that it is being dominated by Tangled now too. Guess the schedule really killed it. :/

Isn't Coco ahead of Tangled right now? After 34 days Tangled was at $147m and Coco is at $163m.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, KungFuKenny said:

Isn't Coco ahead of Tangled right now? After 34 days Tangled was at $147m and Coco is at $163m.

Tangled had a little higher 5th weekend than Coco [$ 6.4M vs $ 5.3M], but Tangled don't face SW/Jumanji haha

This week Tangled could beat Coco or not, Coco monday can go up with the official numbers, and with the Tuesday Discount i think Coco could have a crazy jump and then soft drops, coming close to Tangled weekdays

Anyway, Coco is still on tracking to $ 205M or more, so it will beat Tangled in the end

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sal said:

I'm amused that it's lost so many theaters and yet its PTA is really good compared to Ferdinand.  Star Wars and Jumanji are taking a big bite out of its legs though.

With the Ferdinand PTA being worst than Coco, and PP3 / TGS / Downsizing / Father Figures flops, i think Coco could recovery a lot of theaters this weekend and the next

On 12/21/2017 at 9:01 AM, MCKillswitch123 said:

Only thing that stops me from going all the way and predicting this to cross 1B worldwide is the slower US performance; but even then, Despicable Me 3 did 1B with only 260+ DOM. If it reaches 200+ in China, and breaks out in Japan and Europe both, there's an off chance.

CoCo passed the $500m WW mark yesterday. I'm not sure where the other 1/2 billion will come from.

Edited by estebanJ

20 minutes ago, estebanJ said:

CoCo passed the $500m WW mark yesterday. I'm not sure where the other 1/2 billion will come from.

Well, he stated that IF it reached 200M+ in China (nope) and breaks out in Europe (nope) and Japan (still to come in March 2018), then the 1B could be in sight ... so now it will make over 500M whatever it can achieve in Brazil, Italy, Australia, UK, Argentina South Korea and Japan basically (not 500M, but may be some 200M for a total of 700M would be more than fine). 

InsideOut made 200M+ in said markets. 

Moana made 150M+ in said markets.