AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

1 hour ago, averagejoe said:

Can this still do $210-$215 million dom?

Personally think it will find it very tough. 

I'm thinking it will squeak by $200m. Maybe something like $206m.

That's pretty sad because it was the best Pixar film in a long time and it looked like it could have a mini-Frozen or rather mimic the Moana run, however it just never recovered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's passed the Boss Baby at least.

Not sure what that says about Coco though. How on Earth did the Boss Baby make so much?

Anyway, I took a look at Tangled again, and I think I may have overpredicted even the $206m. Tangled seemed to benefit from some kind of fudge/push to get it to $200m very early on with multiple consecutive 20% drops after its holidays boost.

They probably will push it too, but depends on how it holds over the next 2 weekends.

• Like 1

How does a movie determine how many theaters it plays in?

On day 38 Coco is in 2104 theaters with a $1344 average, while Tangled was in 2582 theaters on day 38 with a $1266 average. 

Is it the lack of demand the reason Coco is in less theaters or is it because of Star Wars and Jumanji taking all the theaters? I'm new to this so I don't really know how a movie plays in more or less theaters.

How does a movie determine how many theaters it plays in?

On day 38 Coco is in 2104 theaters with a $1344 average, while Tangled was in 2582 theaters on day 38 with a $1266 average.

Is it the lack of demand the reason Coco is in less theaters or is it because of Star Wars and Jumanji taking all the theaters? I'm new to this so I don't really know how a movie plays in more or less theaters.

Theaters themselves decide how long they play a movie. There are common contracts all movies have that require a movie to be shown for at least 2 weeks even if they flop though.

I'd say the biggest problem right now for Coco is all the competition.
Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

It will pass $ 200M, probably will land in $ 190M by next sunday, Moana make $ 23M more in this point, Coco will make at least $ 10M. But yeah, i'm thinking $ 205M is much more plausible than $ 215M

Still a good number and above basically all the expectations, and that OS numbers are still one of the big surprises of the year

Just read that Coco may not be released in Brazil because Disney decided to up their BO take from 50 to 52%.

More evidence of the utter wankers that are the corporate executives of Disney.

Probably targeted Brazil because of Coco's Latin American ties, which I would call greedy and discriminatory on behalf of Disney. Not a surprise though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

Just read that Coco may not be released in Brazil because Disney decided to up their BO take from 50 to 52%.

More evidence of the utter wankers that are the corporate executives of Disney.

Probably targeted Brazil because of Coco's Latin American ties, which I would call greedy and discriminatory on behalf of Disney. Not a surprise though.

I think most studios do that tho. I'm sure it will get a release. Universal/WB tried to do the same with Justice League in Mexico and it got a release.

So, I'm curious if there's any thoughts on whether the current political climate may have been unfavourable to Coco?  Obviously I think the biggest problem was just competition (and that Disney missed out on advertising to a lot of the adult audience who are Pixar fans), but after seeing a lot of specifically negative commentary about the latino characters in the movie, I'm wondering if there was any effect?

I honestly expected Moana to go lower because of the polynesian characters but was pleasantly proven wrong on that count.  But it is also true that most Americans probably don't even really know much about various polynesian cultures at all which makes it different but not necessarily with a negative connotation for much of the US audience.  Currently and for the last couple of years we've been getting the latino=bad message shoved in our faces via the current political climate shifts.  I know several people in Kentucky who definitely would not take their kids to see a movie about Latinos even if the kids wanted to see it, especially nowadays.

I love Coco's unashamed portrayal of Mexican culture and the way it uses Spanish without need for clarification but I fear that those factors might also have been off-putting for American audiences right now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Sal said:

So, I'm curious if there's any thoughts on whether the current political climate may have been unfavourable to Coco?  Obviously I think the biggest problem was just competition (and that Disney missed out on advertising to a lot of the adult audience who are Pixar fans), but after seeing a lot of specifically negative commentary about the latino characters in the movie, I'm wondering if there was any effect?

I honestly expected Moana to go lower because of the polynesian characters but was pleasantly proven wrong on that count.  But it is also true that most Americans probably don't even really know much about various polynesian cultures at all which makes it different but not necessarily with a negative connotation for much of the US audience.  Currently and for the last couple of years we've been getting the latino=bad message shoved in our faces via the current political climate shifts.  I know several people in Kentucky who definitely would not take their kids to see a movie about Latinos even if the kids wanted to see it, especially nowadays.

I love Coco's unashamed portrayal of Mexican culture and the way it uses Spanish without need for clarification but I fear that those factors might also have been off-putting for American audiences right now.

Yeah, I brought this up recently as well. I honestly do think it factored into the box office performance, and that is just a travesty. The legs just have not matched the quality of the film, which is very unusual for a Pixar film especially. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I brought this up recently as well. I honestly do think it factored into the box office performance, and that is just a travesty. The legs just have not matched the quality of the film, which is very unusual for a Pixar film especially. 

Last time this happened was with Wall-E, which had a 3.55x mulitplier. Coco will probably get to a 4x multiplier off its 3-day opening, but it'll only get to around 2.8x off its 5-day, and I can't help but feel disappointed by that given that both audience and critical reception from Coco has been among the best of any Thanksgiving release from Disney.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

Last time this happened was with Wall-E, which had a 3.55x mulitplier. Coco will probably get to a 4x multiplier off its 3-day opening, but it'll only get to around 2.8x off its 5-day, and I can't help but feel disappointed by that given that both audience and critical reception from Coco has been among the best of any Thanksgiving release from Disney.

Wall-E's legs were understandable since the first half is essentially a silent movie, and then it goes ultra environmentalist in the second half. So it made sense the first half might alienate kids and the second might alienate parent's political views, and the legs might not be as great as they should be. But there's absolutely nothing in Coco that should be turning audiences off. If it is, that is blatant racism. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wall-E's legs were understandable since the first half is essentially a silent movie, and then it goes ultra environmentalist in the second half. So it made sense the first half might alienate kids and the second might alienate parent's political views, and the legs might not be as great as they should be. But there's absolutely nothing in Coco that should be turning audiences off. If it is, that is blatant racism. 

Quite unfortunately, this seems to be the case.

Pretty confident that had this been released pre-Trump or say in 2015, it would have done a lot better. Bias might still be there, but they wouldn't necessarily realize it. Hell, they might have been more impervious to the racist rhetoric if they'd seen a movie like Coco beforehand.

• Like 2