BadOlCatSylvester

Weekend Thread (5/17-19/2024) | WEEKEND ESTIMATES: $35M for IF, $12M for Strangers, $2.85M for Back to Black, $26M for Apes

Its openings were OK in the UK and Australia, and it opened solid in France last week. But idk, I guess they just wrote off Brazil and Korea?

Garfield definitely seems to be the movie of choice where it's already out.

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Its openings were OK in the UK and Australia, and it opened solid in France last week. But idk, I guess they just wrote off Brazil and Korea?

Garfield definitely seems to be the movie of choice where it's already out.

Garfield is the first animated film in 2 months since KFP4. Families are starved for ANYTHING.

KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is holding very well overseas.

Looking at the Friday/Saturday/Sunday frame, the international hold is just 35% off last weekend’s opening (excluding China). On a similar basis, KPA showed significantly better staying power than Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (-41%), Rise of the Planet of the Apes (-43%) and War for the Planet of the Apes (-51%).

Notably sticky markets were Brazil (-21%), UK (-23%), Germany (-26%), Australia (-32%), Italy (-33%), Korea (-33%) and Spain (-36%). This Wes Ball-directed installment is already the highest grossing film of the franchise in Bulgaria, Turkey and Colombia. This frame it remained the top non-local title in all major European and Asian markets. It’s the overall No. 1 still in Latin America. 

IF Friends $59M At Global Box Office; Planet Of The Apes Rises To $238M (deadline.com)

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

This is honestly just crazy to me that couldn’t throw one of those previously steaming movies on those dates. For example, why did Beverly Hills Cop 4 (releasing July 3) go to Netflix?  Eddie Murphy is a big star. 

After last year's abundance of nostalgia flops, sending that one to Netflix was honestly a good call. I can't imagine that making anything in this day and age.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is holding very well overseas.

Looking at the Friday/Saturday/Sunday frame, the international hold is just 35% off last weekend’s opening (excluding China). On a similar basis, KPA showed significantly better staying power than Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (-41%), Rise of the Planet of the Apes (-43%) and War for the Planet of the Apes (-51%).

Notably sticky markets were Brazil (-21%), UK (-23%), Germany (-26%), Australia (-32%), Italy (-33%), Korea (-33%) and Spain (-36%). This Wes Ball-directed installment is already the highest grossing film of the franchise in Bulgaria, Turkey and Colombia. This frame it remained the top non-local title in all major European and Asian markets. It’s the overall No. 1 still in Latin America. 

IF Friends $59M At Global Box Office; Planet Of The Apes Rises To $238M (deadline.com)

What’s the projection for its global total? I know it’s underperforming War in a lot of international markets. 

15 minutes ago, Squire said:

What’s the projection for its global total? I know it’s underperforming War in a lot of international markets. 

400M seems really reasonable 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

After last year's abundance of nostalgia flops, sending that one to Netflix was honestly a good call. I can't imagine that making anything in this day and age.

Depends If they got Crazy Frog back on the soundtrack.

22 minutes ago, Squire said:

400M is a good target. I think it's also the breakeven figure. This won't make much, but I think it has successfully continued the franchise. I hope we get a sequel.

29 minutes ago, Squire said:

No, excluding China, Kingdom is pretty much matching War. War without China was only 380m while Kingdom is looking to do around 340m-350m without China.

I don't understand the absolute derision that Strangers Chapter One has received. I was never a fan of the original tbf, but I think they're both on a similar level of quality (Prey at Night is the only outright good film in this series). Unless you just really miss the handheld indie vibe of the original.

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

400M is a good target. I think it's also the breakeven figure. This won't make much, but I think it has successfully continued the franchise. I hope we get a sequel.

I think it will and should get a sequel. The franchise has a ceiling (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) and the other 3 modern films will all be between $400-$491 million worldwide. If they can keep the budget reasonable at about $150 million for each installment, they should see decent ROI with each chapter. Nothing crazy, but a nice little profit and a solid single/double each time they release one.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't understand the absolute derision that Strangers Chapter One has received. I was never a fan of the original tbf, but I think they're both on a similar level of quality (Prey at Night is the only outright good film in this series). Unless you just really miss the handheld indie vibe of the original.

Remaking a movie from 2008 is bound to be controversial.