kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Caught a late morning showing of Babes on Friday. This movie is pretty much the antithesis of movies geared toward the BOT community as it’s about the friendship of two women experiencing back-to-back pregnancies. There are several amusing and funny moments but nothing I would consider a gutbuster. The characters are fleshed out well as the writing and acting are decent; and it’s certainly refreshing to see a film focused on female friendships. 

I would not recommend the movie to any straight male under 30; however women and older audiences in general might like it. I don’t think the film is a classic by any means; but it is a nice change of pace with what I am guessing is a small or reasonable budget. Another plus was the presence of four or five trailers I had never seen before.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not sure if fans throws A’s when the fans of the franchise skew older like this one. Younger audiences overall are way more forgiving, so it makes sense that PG-13 franchise got A’s easily.

irrc it’s very rare to see Rated R movies going above B+, franchise or not

not that rare, equalizer , wick , deadpool  , lethal weapon movies can get A grades, lower grades could mean misleading marketing

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

Can someone explain why that Empire City account on Twitter blows a gasket anytime anyone even remotely says anything about theatrical being in danger? It's not a normal disagreement, it's like FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING MORON YOU'RE A STUPID FUCK!!!! 

What's his skin in the game and why does he care that much? 

I think he lacks the etiquette of talking and discussing, that's why.

But the agenda of his is correct,  theaters >>>> 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

Can someone explain why that Empire City account on Twitter blows a gasket anytime anyone even remotely says anything about theatrical being in danger? It's not a normal disagreement, it's like FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING MORON YOU'RE A STUPID FUCK!!!! 

What's his skin in the game and why does he care that much? 

Why do you think he got permabanned from here?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Caught a late morning showing of Babes on Friday. This movie is pretty much the antithesis of movies geared toward the BOT community as it’s about the friendship of two women experiencing back-to-back pregnancies. There are several amusing and funny moments but nothing I would consider a gutbuster. The characters are fleshed out well as the writing and acting are decent; and it’s certainly refreshing to see a film focused on female friendships. 

I would not recommend the movie to any straight male under 30; however women and older audiences in general might like it. I don’t think the film is a classic by any means; but it is a nice change of pace with what I am guessing is a small or reasonable budget. Another plus was the presence of four or five trailers I had never seen before.

I would suggest it to many straight men under 30.

• Like 1

It's clear theatres are going to go through a painful downsizing from the multiplex peaks of the 90s to early 2000s. This time next year should better ( I think Minecraft and Michael will crush it) but it's been inevitable since streaming. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, John Marston said:

I don’t think audiences found it the greatest thing since sliced bread the online  cinephile crowd found it.

I think fury road is amazing and find how its momentum never lets up to be a great achievement, but I never quite got what takes it from an excellent 9/10 to "movie of the decade"

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Posted (edited)

So reading that the budget of Bad Boys Ride Or Die is 90 million the same as For Life. Being responsible with the budget and not blowing it up just to blow it up. How novel. 2 cost 130 million 21 years ago.  So even if it does not do as well as For Life  anything north of 130 would be just fine and most likely 150+ for sure will happen.

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Minions had 107m 3 day/123 m 4 day.weekend with independence day falling on Monday.

DM4 is releasing on 3rd and independence day falling on Sat. 120M+ weekend don't sound that crazy to me as independence day is within that weekend

DM4 is having a standard 3 day weekend .

It's not minions 2 and DM3 which had extended long 4 -5 day weekends. Independence day falling  on Monday and Tuesday respectively. 

Or

185 m and 181m  of FFH and transformers 3  that benefited extended July 4th festivities.(7 day)

Beloni prediction is weirdly worded and makes it sound like 120-129m 3 day is not inclusive of 3 and 4th holidays. 

Uh you might want to look at your calendar. The 4th is on thursday. This is having a 5 day opening since it opens on the 3rd.

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Not straight men under 30 having to relate to characters who aren't them (I'd think a pregnant woman's experience would actually be very relevant for a straight guy under 30 looking to start a family but hey, what do I know?)

• Like 1

That CinemaScore for Garfield has me legit curious on what could be in it that would isolate family audiences. Doesn’t seem to have anything objectionable in it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m conflicted. 

on the one hand total despair that a prequel to one of the best blockbusters of all time is opening this poorly - like what are people even doing? 

on the other, sort of realising that despite my own love for it, general audiences hardly revere Mad Max and even Fury Road as much as we think they do. They didn’t spend record money on that movie, and those that did and loved it weren’t necessarily craving a prequel without Max in it. 

At this point people know what’s coming this summer and have picked out what they’re going to show up for in big numbers. Those films are still coming, it’s just unusual we haven’t really had even one yet going into June. 

Inside Out, DM4, Deadpool - come and save us!!

Twisters - break out and shock everybody. 

Bad Boys - do your thing. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

We’re also so rabid for a huge hit that we’re putting unfair expectations on films that we knew weren’t going to do big business in the first place. 

IF, FG, Apes, Furiosa. None of us thought any of them would go near $200 million. $150 million maximum.  They’re all going to average out at about $100 million each hopefully - so sort of expected. 

It’s rough to have an event film as fantastic as Furiosa struggling to even put up what IF did last weekend over a four day holiday weekend. I’m right there with you. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Maybe some levity for this thread. I just posted this in the Classic Conversation thread, but what do people think of this list?

Alphabetical order: Austin Butler, Timothée Chalamet, Jacob Elordi, Paul Mescal, Jenna Ortega, Glen Powell, Florence Pugh, Sydney Sweeney, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zendaya

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on here seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

the only interesting thing about this list is it made me realise glen powell was 22 when he filmed his scene in dark knight rises. I thought he was in his 30s back then

• Like 1