kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

2 hours ago, Squire said:

Never knew one person who saw that. Most of the “buzz” I recall came from the fact that McKay is an arrogant, preachy A-Hole who thinks he’s smarter than he is. Another movie that only had “success” because it was on Netflix. Nobody would have seen it otherwise. 

I have never seen it because I know I would hate it for pretty much the reasons you're outlining (but that's not going to stop me from talking about it). Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure it would have made 150/200M Domestic. It clearly really resonated with people in a way that seemed directly tied into dissatisfaction with covid responses (in addition to the intended climate stuff). 

I think this is one of the real downsides of Netflix buying everything. We all actually know what it means for a film to be a "real" hit in theaters as opposed to something that's just part of the daily/monthly content flow.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Big Short did $70 mil and I think that was more or less the theatrical ceiling for don't Look up. Hating on rich wall street criminals is a bipartisan platform but I still don't think climate change is something that average people can collectively channel anger towards in the same way.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Big Short did $70 mil and I think that was more or less the theatrical ceiling for don't Look up. Hating on rich wall street criminals is a bipartisan platform but I still don't think climate change is something that average people can collectively channel anger towards in the same way.

surprised by that, it was a 180 million domestic grosser in my head

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

11 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

This was about the number I was expecting before pre-sales. All that false hope after a strong presale start. Hope this doesn't become a reccuring theme.

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

starting to worry about gladiator 2, unless its an all-timer its probably in serious trouble

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Time to admit that inflation and cost of living is killing theatrical?

Maybe  but Furiosa didn’t have a prayer even in good times. It’s like people forgot that Fury Road wasn’t exactly a hit. To be honest, I’m surprised Furiosa was greenlit.

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

Just now, babz06 said:

Maybe  but Furiosa didn’t have a prayer even in good times. It’s like people forgot that Fury Road wasn’t exactly a hit. To be honest, I’m surprised Furiosa was greenlit.

Mad Max has a cult following and ATJ/Hemsworth are popular and known. People just can’t afford to go to the theater regularly anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Man, you would hope/think that outstanding reviews, good WOM, IP attachments, two very big popular stars, and the kind of movie that "needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible" would be able to open to at least a respectable opening weekend

I never deluded myself into thinking that this would massively breakout, I don't think anyone really did, but I NEVER thought it would open THIS low in the 3 day weekend. The projections just get lower and lower.

And to all the people here and especially on twitter who are saying "ummm actually ya know... Fury Road was never that big of a hit". Like yeah I know. But that still put up a solid $45m OW. This coming in with nearly half that opening is abysmal and IS INDEED a panic sign. Will this even hit 200m WW by the end of its run?

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Mad Max has a cult following and ATJ/Hemsworth are popular and known. People just can’t afford to go to the theater regularly anymore. 

Yeah that's what makes it a cult. The GA does not care that much and Hemsworth has proven time and time again he can not open a envelope and Anna is not really a opener type star. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

They can't afford to go to theaters except when they can.

I'm pretty sure they will afford to go to theater when Deadpool 3 is released.

• Like 3

I think Gladiator 2 has the potential to be another Oppenheimer/Joker (just crushing it in Europe) if it's as good as some say, but Joker 2 opens a month before and that's going to satisfy the same audience and then some with Gaga 

I think people are exaggerating the “cult” status. No, it’s not Fast and Furious, but it was still an R-rated film that made 380M dollars in 2015. And one of the main narratives around the film is that it found a second life after theaters. Furiosa making less than Fury Road isn’t terrible, but this low is bad.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Time to admit that inflation and cost of living is killing theatrical?

No, since this is absolutely nonsensical when real ticket prices are basically unchanged for the past 40 years

1 minute ago, Kon said:

They can't afford to go to theaters except when they can.

I'm pretty sure they will afford to go to theater when Deadpool 3 is released.

Yep and it was not a thing on Barbenheimer weekend, Mario weekend, Way Of Water weekend, Maverick, or No Way Home or various other post covid weekends. People found the money those times. If they want to see it they will go.