kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Well, at least, Furiosa could make over 30M in 4-day weekend, right? RIGHT?

Edited by Kon

42 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Speaking of Neon, you guys think Anora will make more than Anatomy did last year?

It's not half-subtitled, for one thing, so sure. Given it's a comedy that got a lot of comparisons to Uncut Gems, they could even possibly get away with releasing it immediately wide, even if it doesn't have anyone like Sandler as a selling point.

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

One of the biggest bombs of all time. It didn't deserve this. 

Not of all time... It'll be a standard Disney bomb last year.

1 minute ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Well, I think the BOFFY for Most Soul Crushing Run might be locked already.

Should we call it a winner? :whosad:

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

When you think about it, Ryan Gosling has never opened a movie. 

La la Land? Barbie? 

Don't tell me Barbie is Barbie. One of the Reasons people were interested to Barbie also cause Ryan gosling was in It doing Ken etc... Exactly 12 months ago 50% of people were saying "not more than 120M domestic for Barbie".

I think he definitely doesn't open action movies cause It's not The rock or Vin diesel.

Fall guy ....i don't know It's not a pure action. Actually Is a movie he should open (both comedy + romance + appeal to cinephiles) but the releases after that showed this Summer season is what It Is. Ryan reynolds would have opened It with better numbers? Well maybe but i don't think It would have been a success anyways.

44 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Even Luiz. It's like they expect each month should produce a 200M film. They should know better. Big movies have been delayed because of the strike. The number of releases still has not reached pre-pandemic levels.

I think people still expected at least some movies to break out or over perform.

• Like 2

Twister will make a surpising opening (better than fall guy and Furiosa) and near to the apes cause Powell Is loved by the Tik Tok movie but i don't see long legs. Also OS numbers will be weak.

I was talking to some of the old managers I used to work with who are still at the movie theaters, and they’ve been saying that while attendance has been disappointing for this month so far, they’ve still been able to easily stay afloat. 

Here’s a snapshot of what my region of Canada’s looked like the past few weeks, averaging out my comps for 5-6 different theaters. Shows what movies have over/underperformed here compared to their domestic runs.

IF did the equivalent of around 45M 3-day, 52M 4-day (last weekend was a long weekend in Canada).

Fall Guy - 50M

Apes - 30M

Strangers - 7M

Garfield and Furiosa are looking relatively strong around here. Garfield looks like it can get to around 30-35M weekend, Furiosa 45M. Strong for Furiosa, but looking back, Mad Max did incredible numbers in these markets (would adjust to around 70M today). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

His filmography has so many duds, I think audiences just got burned one too many times.

He's been in almost nothing but well-received films for the past 20 years what are you talking about.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I think people still expected at least some movies to break out or over perform.

That's okay, but I think with the current May titles (specifically the sequel/prequel) and the previous performances of the movies in their respective franchises, I don't think we should have expected a big hit. It's just really a weak month. Now let's hope June and July at least reverses the trend.

The stunningly low numbers for Furiosa actually reminds me of The Marvels, where the overall turnout misses even the lowest expectations to the point of suggesting that a significant portion of the moviegoing population was never on board with this on a concept level to begin with. The same movie with Charlize would've been just as shrugged off tbh.

• Like 1