kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

1 hour ago, Legion Again said:

I actually feel 35 is a rather optimistic IM from 3.5+7… probably favor Garfield for the 4day

Film twitter films have had good SAT bumps. This probably will too. 

Garfield is doing even worse.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cannastop said:

My point was that Memorial Day Weekend is not universally cursed. It's dependent on the movie that's opening.

That isn't how release dates work, though. Every concept has potential based upon it's quality and advertising. Release dates simply impact the floor/ceiling of the opening. I would argue that even recent Memorial Day weekend successes ala Maverick would have actually opened a bit higher had it opened on a non-holiday weekend though Mav may have slightly benefited from military theme. 

This isn't the 1990s. The holiday weekend actually takes attention AWAY from the film w/ the people who actually go to theaters. The under 40 crowd makes Memorial Day and July 4th plans months in advance, films are an after thought. 

I suspect the 'new' prime release dates are now clearly mid/late March, early May, mid July, early October, and mid December. Enough breathing room for the film truly dominate the pop culture moment, no major events to distract.

Edited by excel1

My bigger irritation at the moment is that it really doesn't have to be this way. Bizarre to me that WB/Disney couldn't find a way for there to be a Holland (or even McGuire) Spider-man film or The Batman 2 ready for May 2024. It was so clearly wide open for a major event film but nobody moved. JOKER 2 will be a big hit but imagine if it had the early May release date?

The lack of capitalizing on the popularity of the post-covid films that have indeed been successful is becoming irritating to watch. Good on WB for fast tracking DUNE 2 and GODZILLA vs KONG 2, Q1 and Q2 of 2024 would be atrocious without them, but we need more of it. Another Holland Spider-man film or The Batman 2 should 100% be in production by now. Instead we are looking at 2026.  Top Gun 3 should have a release date. 2023's slew of breakouts should have all sequels in active development -  Barbie 2, Spider-verse 3, Wonka 2, Super Mario Bros 2 would/should all be big hits.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

My bigger irritation at the moment is that it really doesn't have to be this way. Bizarre to me that WB/Disney couldn't find a way for there to be a Holland (or even McGuire) Spider-man film or The Batman 2 ready for May 2024. It was so clearly wide open for a major event film but nobody moved. JOKER 2 will be a big hit but imagine if it had the early May release date?

The lack of capitalizing on the popularity of the post-covid films that have indeed been successful is becoming irritating to watch. Good on WB for fast tracking DUNE 2 and GODZILLA vs KONG 2, Q1 and Q2 of 2024 would be atrocious without them, but we need more of it. Another Holland Spider-man film or The Batman 2 should 100% be in production by now. Instead we are looking at 2026.  Top Gun 3 should have a release date. 2023's slew of breakouts should have all sequels in active development -  Barbie 2, Spider-verse 3, Wonka 2, Super Mario Bros 2 would/should all be big hits.  

I mean, we had one of the biggest labor stoppages in Hollywood history last year. It was one of the few times actors and writers were on strike at the same time. It lasted six months, and there was roughly a two month period where you couldn’t write anything or film anything except establishing shots.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I mean, we had one of the biggest labor stoppages in Hollywood history last year. It was one of the few times actors and writers were on strike at the same time. It lasted six months, and there was roughly a two month period where you couldn’t write anything or film anything except establishing shots.

brains don't stop working, and some of the films mentioned should have been in motion beforehand 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I mean most of these are in devlopement of some kind.Just what we want is for them to rush them out just to fill holes in the schedule. And also there was this 6 month strike that really halted the progression of a lot of stuff.

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Maybe some levity for this thread. I just posted this in the Classic Conversation thread, but what do people think of this list?

Alphabetical order: Austin Butler, Timothée Chalamet, Jacob Elordi, Paul Mescal, Jenna Ortega, Glen Powell, Florence Pugh, Sydney Sweeney, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zendaya

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on here seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

these actors may be stars but none of them are draws. A draw is someone like Julia Roberts turning a movie like Erin Brockovich into a global hit. We simply do not have those anymore 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, excel1 said:

2023's slew of breakouts should have all sequels in active development -  Barbie 2, Spider-verse 3, Wonka 2, Super Mario Bros 2 would/should all be big hits.

Two of them are in active development with one slated for 2026. Another could be in 2025.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

these actors may be stars but none of them are draws. A draw is someone like Julia Roberts turning a movie like Erin Brockovich into a global hit. We simply do not have those anymore 

We have Gaga

5 hours ago, Kon said:

The thing is people wouldn't wait for something they are really interested. They will probably go as soon as possible.

However, if they aren't so interested in the movie, they would likely wait 90 or 120 days for a movie in streaming.

Agree to disagree. I think people clearly will wait 45 days to see a movie, but you movie that to twice that time, then you tempt them to see it in theaters.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I'm trying to find another hobby to distract myself

NVIDIA had a good week it seems

I've gotten into following Broadway box office. It's reported weekly and the money gradually trickles in rather than the opening weekend deluge like with movies, but things can play for decades. Every single show currently playing a Broadway theater has its gross reported, as well as the average ticket price, which can change from week to week and show to show. Like, this past week the lowest average ticket price on Broadway was $39 and the highest average price (for Cabaret with Eddie Redmayne) was $240/ticket. You also get the top ticket price for every show each week, i.e. the best seats in the house.

There's so much variation but also patterns. The same show will cost more around Christmas than two weeks later in January, so that's fun to track. Also, the effect of headlining stars vs understudies can be huge on the box office, along with stunt casting (Chicago).

To bring this somewhat back to the state of 2024 box office, Wicked's complete box office history (on Broadway). Fiddle around the page for weekly/monthly/yearly breakdowns going back to 2003. As of last Sunday Wicked has earned $1,620,478,463—all from just one theater.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Dune 2, Civil War, POTA - maybe people got their fill of Dystopia this year.

I think the prequel came too late.  Should have been made 5 or 6 years ago.  And with Theron.

Fury Road was quite the ordeal for Charlize to film. Even with no Tom Hardy involved, I don't know if she'd have wanted to play Furiosa again. I'm kind of amazed and impressed Miller got the budget he did this time? There's an alternate universe where he can't get funding and the Furiosa prequel is a graphic novel or something.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, excel1 said:

brains don't stop working, and some of the films mentioned should have been in motion beforehand 

Some of them were in production, but sometimes things change or take time. And many of these actors, directors, and writers don’t want have big budget projects consume their lives like that. I don’t think Robert Pattinson just wants to pump out Batman films as fast as possible for the next ten years. He wants to do stuff like The Lighthouse as well.

Also one of the main complaints people have had with films is rushing them to meet release dates. That affects the quality of the films and the quality of life for everyone who makes them. It might be nice to have a Spider-Man film every 18 months but the quality (and box office grosses) will decline if they’re rushed.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

Can someone explain why that Empire City account on Twitter blows a gasket anytime anyone even remotely says anything about theatrical being in danger? It's not a normal disagreement, it's like FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING MORON YOU'RE A STUPID FUCK!!!! 

What's his skin in the game and why does he care that much? 

He knows underneath his skin that the whole industry is fucked and theaters can’t survive when 1 CBM movie or something blows up every 6 months so he’s in a (very long) denial state

• Like 5

Sadly have to say I'm in the "disappointed but not at all surprised" camp re: Furiosa's low numbers. Prequels with entirely new casts always face an uphill battle to begin with, but the buzz for this always seemed contained to the cinephile circle and never once broke through to the mainstream. Oh well.

I also think Mad Max as a franchise is just ultimately rather niche overall, and that 2015 might've been a happy accident for the IP.

• Like 3

Well Furiosa truly is an excellent movie, if they can’t convince people to watch even great blockbusters on May they’re really fucked lol 

This OW is abysmal, lack of Theron or the 9 year gap alone don’t explain this, just a few years ago pretty much any expensive movie would do more than that even when they was awful 

When the only very recent movie championed as succesful is a 150-ish Planet of The Apes movie you know things are dire 

• Like 4

This isn’t too shocking too me. The first Fury Road was liked but I don’t think audiences found it the greatest thing since sliced bread the online  cinephile crowd found it. I think most found it a good stunts/action movie but there was nothing much to connect to in terms of story and character. The fact they spent so much on a prequel 9 years later with neither of the original leads shows how much they believed their own hype 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I would consider Zendaya and Timothee draws.  

• ...wtf 1