kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I suspect you’re probably right. The last one was merely better than expected considering no Bay, but I’m not sure the same movie again will get the same passing grade from critics. 

He was talking about The Watchers.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yeah. Action movies don't tend to attract a big amount of female audience. They will need to include something attractive for female audience, but a female lead doesn't seem be this.

Fall Guy has a 46% female audience in its OW, while Furiosa has a 28% female audience.

Also, it seems men aren't really interested on action movies with female leads, but they will likely go if the concept interest them.

65% of The Marvels audience was male, I think. They also gave the movie higher marks than women did.

I think women are the ones not interested in action movies with female leads. 

I can confirm I was talking about The Watchers.

I think Bad Boys will have good reviews which will help with walkups so I still believe in 60M+. 50M+ would be weak. We can pretend it isn't but c'mon now.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Reviews are embargoed until the moment the previews start. The movie is clearly bad.

Not necessarily

First Omen and Young Woman & Sea also had reviews along the previews, both get +80%

Super late embargo’s doesn’t indicate confidence, but these days it also doesn’t means is bad 

Edited by ThomasNicole

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not necessarily

First Omen and Young Woman & Sea also had reviews along the previews, both get +80%

Super late embargo’s doesn’t indicate confidence, but these days it also doesn’t means is bad 

That is just Disney being mega dumb.

• Like 1

A late embargo doesn't always doom a movie but buzz surrounding The Watchers is already really quiet in the first place. Reasonable to assume it's gonna receive mediocre reviews.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think Bad Boys will have good reviews which will help with walkups so I still believe in 60M+. 50M+ would be weak. We can pretend it isn't but c'mon now.

I hope it gets a good reception but I’m not convinced. I think we might find they went easy on the last one. 

it’s going to open well though for sure. I’d be surprised if it can’t clear $50 million. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I've also heard it's bad. Do we trust that Empire nutjob claiming it's good and could be a mini breakout? Or is it all part of his "if you suggest theatres are in trouble, I'll cut your throat in the night" agenda? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

A lot of non-movie related channels and people I follow are covering the Furiosa implosion and Memorial Day weekend story. I feel bad for Anya that she is the face of this.

Anya is both too hot and too talented for this smh

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I'm still confused as to Disney's reasoning on giving Young Woman and the Sea this half-assed theatrical release.

My weird conspiracy theory for the longest time was that this could serve as a litmus test to see if Daisy Ridley can carry a movie or attract awards buzz, because let's face it, that Rey Star Wars movie they've been developing for the past year is a huge gamble considering how much she is connected to the infamous sequel trilogy, unfair as it may be. And after their awful centennial year, I can definitely see Disney having second thoughts about risks like that.

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Almost forgot that Neon finally released Robot Dreams this weekend... in just two theaters, lol.

They were probably waiting to see if it'd attract any serious awards buzz. It unfortunately didn't, so off the to wolves it goes. Hopefully it gains a cult following on demand.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

They were probably waiting to see if it'd attract any serious awards buzz. It unfortunately didn't, so off the to wolves it goes. Hopefully it gains a cult following on demand.

It was Oscar-nominated, which they for some reason simply refused to take any advantage of. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

A lot of non-movie related channels and people I follow are covering the Furiosa implosion and Memorial Day weekend story. I feel bad for Anya that she is the face of this.

yeah it's bad to have your face attached to such bad headlines, damn

Posted (edited)

Even if Robot Dreams did win by some miracle, it would still have been completely overshadowed by all the other animated stuff in the middle of summer. There was nothing to compete with it in February.

God knows what Neon was thinking, but whatever their rationale was it was stupid. If there's any silver lining, studios won't be able to pull this crap next year if they do want that awards attention. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another silver lining which is somewhat of a relief with a few bigger titles now on the docket: somehow still barely ahead in the rolling year to year comp at $8.111 billion to $8.070 billion. Top Gun's opening weekend no longer a factor which helps

Edited by AniNate