The Wild Eric

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

53 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Very good hold for Apes , number 3 of the weekend with around 4,6-4,7M (-13/-15%) in week 6 above all May movies

Β 

I think 5.3M - 5.5M is possible.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So when I said "u/AgentCooper315 is saying 620M+ DOM for IO2" it is productive for the conversation because it's a projection for where the movie will end up and that specific user is credible, and it isn't just "random X user was correct about Y."

Β 

That's why I don't understand why JustLurking quoted me with some "nobody care about this rando on Reddit" energy and complained about it considering that comment was adding to the conversation

Look, I don't really want to judge the guy (who I don't know!) or anything, but you really need to see the silliness of the whole thing

Β 

You make this sweeping revelation that this guy (who again no one here even knows) said something as if that makes it any more or less likely to happen (holy shit! agentcooper said this!)

Β 

plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum say things (often disagreeing with each other) and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are not. I'm sure this guy has made good calls in the past just as I am sure he made bad calls because, well, that's life.

Β 

I'm trying to incite you to try to make more of your own thinking and contributions rather than hanging by the lips of your hero of the month (maybe this agentcooper guy is right! but do you think he's right because you agree with the argument or because of a nickname? it genuinely sounds like it's just the latter)

Β 

however you are right, it was rude of me and I'll refrain from making those comments in the future

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

That hold for bad boys is insanely good considering it lost all of its premium screens and a lot of the audience for that film is the same audience for inside out 2 I wonder if people are doing double screenings of both those movies or something. Also why is the holiday on a Wednesday Instead of Monday.

Β 

If you're referring to Juneteenth, that's b/c it honors a specific day, June 19.

If you're referring to Father's Day, that's b/c it's always the 3rd Sunday of June.

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

That hold for bad boys is insanely good considering it lost all of its premium screens and a lot of the audience for that film is the same audience for inside out 2 I wonder if people are doing double screenings of both those movies or something. Also why is the holiday on a Wednesday Instead of Monday.

The past two Juneteenth was either on Sunday or Monday, coincide with father day. But this year June 19 is on Wednesday. Actually I prefer a holiday falling on Wednesday for BO sake because that made long travel plan less feasible. Moviegoing become a more suitable for a short one day break. I am curious how this theory work for this year Juneteenth. Both BBDL and IO could get massive bump.Β 

26 minutes ago, Eric S'ennui said:

Animated movies in general overindex with Hispanics.. Mario, Kung Fu Panda, Garfield. Not sure why that is if I’m being honest.

This discussion has been brought up in Latin American threads but we're more akin to animation, especially Mexico and Argentina.

Β 

I'm pretty sure a yonger audience and more children influences but animation across all media has been a part of our culture for decades. It's been used to create comic books but also making social critique (Mafalda in Argentina or 'moneros' in mexican newspapers) so it has a wide reach as also proven by popularity of manga and anime in the region.

Β 

In Mexico alone, this year beside Inside Out or Kung Fu Panda 4, there have been great overperformances from Boy and the Heron, latest Demon Slayer and Robot Dreams which had a 10x multi from its opening weekend.

• Like 5

Next week is gonna be brutally hot throughout much of the midwest and east, I'm wondering if that might lead to an increased desire for air conditioned time killing

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Astonished 1

Great for the boxoffice. Inside out 2 will win the summer now, as animated movies tend to have good legs. This doing 160+M ow is not what I saw coming.Β 

Β 

Will suck hype of upcoming movies. Deadpool 3 might underperform compared to expectations if reviews are mediocre.Β 

Edited by marveldcfox

1 hour ago, Kon said:

It's interesting how these movies are big on Latino/Hispanic audience.

Β 

It doesn't seem to be due to representation. There is a relevant Latina character in IO2, but her role doesn't seem big.

Β 

Animation in general (including anime) is very popular with Latino audiences.

31 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

With Junetenth on Wednesday , which impact could have on weekdays , a steady hold from Tuesday , a increase or a almost normal drop

Let me answer this...

Β 

I believe it will be higher than Tuesday, as Elemental's Monday Juneteenth was bigger than its Tuesday the next day.

Β 

assuming Sunday is $45 million I think this is how it will go.

Β 

Monday: $20 million.

Tuesday: $26 million

Wednesday: $30 million

Edited by cannastop
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Let me answer this...

Β 

I believe it will be higher than Tuesday, as Elemental's Monday Juneteenth was bigger than its Tuesday the next day.

Β 

assuming Sunday is $45 million I think this is how it will go.

Β 

Monday: $20 million.

Tuesday: $26 million

Wednesday: $30 million

A Monday Juneteenth is different to a Wednesday one though. As Juneteenth isn't a mandatory holiday, most firms offer it as an optional holiday. If it falls on a Monday, a lot of people will opt for it as a holiday to make it a 4 day weekend versus a Wednesday where they might just wait for a different Monday or Friday optional holiday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

"Those were the days." - NostalgiaΒ :hahaha:

The one viral tweet complaining about people not supporting the boycott against Disney is funny now because it's doing almost the double lmaoΒ 

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

The one viral tweet complaining about people not supporting the boycott against Disney is funny now because it's doing almost the double lmaoΒ 

Β 

twitter is so dead i have no idea what youre even talking about

• Like 1

If Disney and uni are Rivals then i really Hope they put Nolan New movie and toy story 5 At thΓ© same weekend it would be a fun experience πŸ˜‚

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, Selma said:

If Disney and uni are Rivals then i really Hope they put Nolan New movie and toy story 5 At thΓ© same weekend it would be a fun experience πŸ˜‚

I want it and the Polly Pocket movie to relΓ©ase same day just for the plotΒ 

3 hours ago, Selma said:

How do We except Toy story 5, zootopia 2 and Frozen 3 to do seeing that they are much popular than inside out 2 ?

These things aren't linear like that. Incredibles 2 made more than Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 despite the Incredibles being less popular than toy story 2 and finding Nemo. I think being released at the right time matters more.

Β 

Also people predicting a 20% Saturday bump might be disappointed. When's the last time a Pixar movie jumped like that in June?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Agafin said:

Also people predicting a 20% Saturday bump might be disappointed. When's the last time a Pixar movie jumped like that in June?

I think people are looking more for a 10% jump.

Β 

Toy Story 4 had a 11.6% jump from true Friday to Saturday.

Β 

Inside Out 2 had a $49m true Friday. 12% jump is $55m. An 18% drop on Sunday is $45m. Add them all together with Thursday you get $162m

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

63% female. It is very very female skewing.
Β 

PostTrak exits are still huge at 89% positive, 71% definite recommend with 63% women attending and 21% of the audience under 12, 32% between 13-17 (the largest demo), and 51% between 18-34.Β Β The sequel is playing best in the West, Mountain and Midwest with the AMC Dine-In Disney Springs in Orlando, Florida, the best location in the nation with $162K so far. Imax and PLFs are accounting for a quarter of the weekend’s ticket sales so far with 14% from 3D.

Β 

Β 

If 73% of the parents taking their kids are mothers that's going to skew heavily F from the start.Β  Looks like IO2 will hew close to Frozen 2's % which according to Deadline opened to 64% female.

Β 

MPAA Data after 2 weeks (when %s start to get less extreme)

Β 

Inside Out (2015): 56/ 44

SLOP (2016): 56/ 44

Finding Dory (2016) 55/45

Incredibles 2 (2018): 50/50

Lion King (2019): 53/47

Toy Story 4: 51/49

Frozen 2: 60/40

• Like 2