The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

Just got out of The Bikeriders. It's an alright movie that doesn't break any new ground with solid performances (although Tom Hardy's Midwestern accent even after seeing the whole movie remains lmao worthy) but definitely not an awards player or something people will look back on in about 5 years and wonder why it didn't make more at the box office.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just got out of The Bikeriders. It's an alright movie that doesn't break any new ground with solid performances (although Tom Hardy's Midwestern accent even after seeing the whole movie remains lmao worthy) but definitely not an awards player or something people will look back on in about 5 years and wonder why it didn't make more at the box office.

My feelings on it exactly. 

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

I think we will know more on where it will end up after next weekend. 

See how it holds against A Quiet Place: Day One and Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 1 and then we can make a pretty good guess on if it will hit $200M or not. 

As of right now though, it's chances are looking solid and that would also give it a higher domestic gross than both Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire and Kung Fu Panda 4. Movies that opened higher, but weren't as leggy. 

Bad Boys seems to have positioned itself as THE alternative choice to IO2 and it is working out really well.

41 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I think we will know more on where it will end up after next weekend. 

See how it holds against A Quiet Place: Day One and Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 1 and then we can make a pretty good guess on if it will hit $200M or not. 

As of right now though, it's chances are looking solid and that would also give it a higher domestic gross than both Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire and Kung Fu Panda 4. Movies that opened higher, but weren't as leggy. 

I think we have a fair bit of data that it's safe to predict it on the higher end. 

40% drops gets this to $220M, and there's no reason to suspect that it's drops are going to get worse the further into it's run. It's probably only at risk of losing it's space at your typical multiplex once Deadpool arrives on screen.

I honestly see a greater shot at $230M than I do of sub $200M.

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

I was just gonna say Sound of Freedom, but it really should've been a much better and less controversial movie that brought older people back to theaters. 

We need more Top Gun: Mavericks and less of the Sound of Freedoms. 

Oh, you're so real.

Single?

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Agafin said:

And interestingly, all of them were released in different months (May, July and June respectively). I guess we need to watch out for an August breakout next year?

I've been saying to people, The Bad Guys 2 is coming for 2 billion!!!

2 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I think we have a fair bit of data that it's safe to predict it on the higher end. 

40% drops gets this to $220M, and there's no reason to suspect that it's drops are going to get worse the further into it's run. It's probably only at risk of losing it's space at your typical multiplex once Deadpool arrives on screen.

I honestly see a greater shot at $230M than I do of sub $200M.

I'm sure BB: ROD will do at least $200M domestically, but I'm just being cautious for now. Don't want to set myself up for disappointment. 

Either way, it's gonna end up right around where Bad Boys For Life was domestically (it should be ahead of that's film's pace by next weekend) and if it can manage at least $400M worldwide, that should give Sony enough confidence to move forward with another Bad Boys movie. 

36 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

What a dumbass. 

Fly Me to the Moon is an original movie for adults. Him retorting with "horror sequels and remakes are doing well too!!!" is idiotic. The fact that that Despicable Me 4 garbage will do well is irrelevant to the point being made by the person he quoted. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

He's not wrong in some ways.  but he still has to take it to that next insufferable asshole level doesn't he. 

He's out of touch. A big hit doesn't suddenly change the fact that movie going is too expensive for a lot of people, especially families. People just aren't out in force complaining about the industry when there's a good thing going.

1 minute ago, Insomnia said:

He's out of touch. A big hit doesn't suddenly change the fact that movie going is too expensive for a lot of people, especially families. People just aren't out in force complaining about the industry when there's a good thing going.

I mean it sure seems like families are just fine, it's the other demographics that are the problem

9 minutes ago, Flopped said:

What a dumbass. 

Fly Me to the Moon is an original movie for adults. Him retorting with "horror sequels and remakes are doing well too!!!" is idiotic. The fact that that Despicable Me 4 garbage will do well is irrelevant to the point being made by the person he quoted. 

Gonna be pretty annoying if that movie becomes another excuse to doom about original sci-fis and romcoms when almost no one here has given a crap about it up to now.

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

I don't wanna inspire any kind of doom and gloom about the box office right now, but as amazing as it is that Inside Out 2 just pulled a Top Gun: Maverick-level hold this weekend, it can't be the only film that carries the box office for a while. 

Whether it's a tall order to ask or not, we need both A Quiet Place: Day One and Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 1 to perform well next weekend. To at least show that the box office can have much more variety and won't be living or dying by Inside Out 2 until at least Deadpool and Wolverine comes out. 

So, let's all hope that next weekend we can get a somewhat healthy top five, especially since we still have two films from May in the top five. In any other summer, that's not normal. 

Nah you're 100% right. The box office needs some depth badly. That's why I'm looking forward to August. I don't know how high any of the offerings that month are going to go but there should at least be some mid sized hits and the volume of product will give the box office some padding behind Deadpool & Wolverine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Gonna be pretty annoying if that movie becomes another excuse to doom about original sci-fis and romcoms when almost no one here has given a crap about it up to now.

Honestly, there's no reason to be all doom and gloom about at least romcoms because the marketplace barely gets any in the first place. Anyone But You was a big hit, but that was months ago and Fly Me to the Moon will be another test for that genre.

Still, the fate of it shouldn't rest on that movie alone. We'll know if the romantic comedy genre is either fully dead or back if we get a bunch of them in a row and see whether they click with audiences or don't. 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Sound of freedom last year, would prefer to not have to rely on... that kind of movie though

Actually you know what? Nevermind.

Edited by Insomnia