The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

3 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Nah you're 100% right. The box office needs some depth badly. That's why I'm looking forward to August. I don't know how high any of the offerings that month are going to go but there should at least be some mid sized hits and the volume of product will give the box office some padding behind Deadpool & Wolverine.

Yeah, we don't want to go back to the days of 2022 where we would have mega tentpole in the marketplace and literally nothing else for weeks on end. 

Inside Out 2 is going insanely strong right now, but it's gonna slow down eventually and godforbid that either Despicable Me 4, Twisters, and Deadpool & Wolverine don't click this summer. If that happens, then we're really screwed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Nah you're 100% right. The box office needs some depth badly. That's why I'm looking forward to August. I don't know how high any of the offerings that month are going to go but there should at least be some mid sized hits and the volume of product will give the box office some padding behind Deadpool & Wolverine.

Yeah, we don't want to go back to the days of 2021-2022 where we would have one mega tentpole in the marketplace and literally nothing else for weeks on end. 

Inside Out 2 is going insanely strong right now, but it's gonna slow down eventually and godforbid that either Despicable Me 4, Twisters, and Deadpool & Wolverine don't click this summer. If that happens, then we're really screwed.

8 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Yeah, we don't want to go back to the days of 2021-2022 where we would have one mega tentpole in the marketplace and literally nothing else for weeks on end. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but why worry about it now? Nothing any of us can do about it. Positive vibes have been hard to come by this year so damn straight I'm gonna take them and insist other people do as well when they come. I'm all for toxic positivity right now.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Fly Me To The Moon would certainly maybe be a flop in any other era but we all do agree that many sci fi and romcoms HAVE been hits in previous years and I would love an example or two of anything like that becoming a real breakout hit in this environment besides Anyone But You. People can do the "you build this movie up too much" line all they want, and they're not wrong....but I would just for once would love them to tell me what original, adult movies I SHOULD expect to be hits. That's all I'm asking. What original adult films should I have expectations for then? Or are they just never gonna be hits again? In that case I could give a shit less if DM4 and Deadpool both gross a billion domestic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean it sure seems like families are just fine, it's the other demographics that are the problem

I think they're fine for a handful of movies a year, sure. 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Fly Me To The Moon would certainly maybe be a flop in any other era but we all do agree that many sci fi and romcoms HAVE been hits in previous years and I would love an example or two of anything like that becoming a real breakout hit in this environment besides Anyone But You. People can do the "you build this movie up too much" line all they want, and they're not wrong....but I would just for once would love them to tell me what original, adult movies I SHOULD expect to be hits. That's all I'm asking. What original adult films should I have expectations for then? Or are they just never gonna be hits again? In that case I could give a shit less if DM4 and Deadpool both gross a billion domestic.

I could give you one. Justin Baldoni's It Ends With Us. 

It's based on a highly popular novel, it stars Blake Lively, and is from the same studio (Sony) that was able to turn that same kind of female-skewing adult drama film (Where the Crawdads Sing) into a pretty solid success. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

@Cmasterclay the lost city and ticket to paradise we’re both hits

Ticket To Paradise, like Civil War and Challengers and Killers of the Flower Moon, were only hits in the context of the current environment - Ticket To Paradise would have made like 150m+ pre-COVID just like those other flicks would have been considered meh grosses in less bleak times.. Things like Lost City and Dog and all the breakout horror flicks like Smile and Barbarian provided genuine hope in 2022 which is why back then I was considered a relative optimistic poster. 2023 and 2024 have lacked the breakout originalish flicks outside Anyone But You and maybe like Boys In The Boat and Iron Claw. All the Christmas shit did okay.

Edited by Cmasterclay

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I could give you one. Justin Baldoni's It Ends With Us. 

It's based on a highly popular novel, it stars Blake Lively, and is from the same studio (Sony) that was able to turn that same kind of female-skewing adult drama film (Where the Crawdads Sing) into a pretty solid success. 

I agree with this and would think that movie should easily do 75m+. I just want examples like this.

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Honestly, don't have any expectations for them. Be happy when they come out and if they end up a hit that's just gravy on top. But just because one (or a hundred) bomb doesn't mean they're all doomed, the whole awards season economy depends on them as much as they ever have, and the Oscars' new qualification rules will ensure they keep being released in theaters.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Honestly, don't have any expectations for them. Be happy when they come out and if they do better than expected, great. But just because one (or a hundred) bomb doesn't mean they're all doomed, the whole awards season economy depends on them as much as they ever have, and the Oscars' new qualification rules will ensure they keep being released in theaters.

This sounds like my last twenty years of being a Miami Marlins fan.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree with this and would think that movie should easily do 75m+. I just want examples like this.

Absolutely. We should have more than just the one lone example of this kind of movie still being theatrically viable. 

Also, and maybe this is just me, but I feel like for these kinds of films like Anyone But You or Where the Crawdads Sing to thrive, Sony (the one who distributed both films) should be investing more money into making stuff like romcoms and adult dramas. 

They clearly knew how to market and sell these films to their specific audiences and they have plenty of other examples ranging from Bullet Train, A Man Called Otto, and The Woman King (to a lesser extent), that ended up as solid successes for them. 

They don't go crazy with the budgets and they also have that insanely lucrative Netflix deal. So, even if something like It Ends With Us were to not do well in theaters, it could find an audience on Netflix. 

Personally (and I've thought about this for a while), Sony is the one studio that's in the best position to make more of these adult-skewing films. Not just because they're good at it, but also because they don't have the backlog of IP that studios like Disney and Warner Bros. do. It might be just wishful thinking, but I hope Sony does more of this. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I'm sorry, but what are we talking about? Lol!

Claire is the poster who will want to date anyone that displays a worldview similar to her own. She's also BOT's resident ho, and is currently being touted by Pixar to play the emotion Lust in Inside Out 3.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This sounds like my last twenty years of being a Miami Marlins fan.

Well, at least you actually have a world championship in that timeframe (and the 50 years before it) unlike my team

I can't expect you to express sincere happiness about Inside Out or DM or Deadpool if you don't feel it, it's just we've had plenty of time for doom and despair about the state of cinema for the last year and I'm sure we will again at some point later on, I'd just like a little break from it when I think there are concrete numbers to support it.

• Like 2

I would say realistically, the Ryan Coogler movie seems like the next one that film socials will sincerely rally around as the savior of original films, but I'm still not sure if that's the kind of movie that will attract the kind of old old audience that's been missing

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ticket To Paradise, like Civil War and Challengers and Killers of the Flower Moon, were only hits in the context of the current environment - Ticket To Paradise would have made like 150m+ pre-COVID just like those other flicks would have been considered meh grosses in less bleak times.. Things like Lost City and Dog and all the breakout horror flicks like Smile and Barbarian provided genuine hope in 2022 which is why back then I was considered a relative optimistic poster. 2023 and 2024 have lacked the breakout originalish flicks outside Anyone But You and maybe like Boys In The Boat and Iron Claw. All the Christmas shit did okay.

I mean take Fly Me to the Moon for example. That plain does not look like that good of a movie. So if the reviews back that feeling up and it bombs then people should not be using that as a example of adults not going to the movies they just did not want to see that movie because it does not look that good and the reviews were not great. Now it could get good reviews and still not do good and be say another Fall Guy and as you always said you saw no reason that movie would break out big.  Same with Moon. People just are not interested in a romantic comedy set  around a PR stunt to fake the moon landing as distraction from the real thing or whatever it's about.