CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

Hey, new to the site.

The reviews seem mostly positive, not sure where the antaganism is coming from? Find it odd that some review praise the bond girl, but others find it sexist? I guess the female in MI 5 was strong because she fired a gun? Nevermind she used her nude leg to balance it... :rolleyes:

Nude leg? Bare legs.

• Like 1

Hey, new to the site.

The reviews seem mostly positive, not sure where the antaganism is coming from? Find it odd that some review praise the bond girl, but others find it sexist? I guess the female in MI 5 was strong because she fired a gun? Nevermind she used her nude leg to balance it... :rolleyes:

Sexism in films isn't about showing sex appeal on screen or appreciating the beauty of actresses and actors.  That's a significant part of movie star allure and always has been.

It's that in MI5 the female character had a developed personality, her own purpose, her own arc and more than held her own.  Whereas the reviews for the Spectre pretty much say the two main females roles exist for Bond to have somewhere to stick his dick.  Other Bond films have done better than this so why should it get a pass?

Though, after the misogynistic Skyfall --- with Bond getting his rocks off with a desperate scared former child sex slave ending with him impotently watching her executed just to save his own ass seconds later to triumphant Bond music, to the female head of Mi6 being killed off because of Bond's incompetence to be replaced by a male M with failed field agent Monyepenny now relegated to his secretary as Bond is rewarded for getting his boss killed - all wrapped up in everything is as it should be again in the Old Boys club coda  --- anything might be an improvement.

• Like 6

Sexism in films isn't about showing sex appeal on screen or appreciating the beauty of actresses and actors.  That's a significant part of movie star allure and always has been.

It's that in MI5 the female character had a developed personality, her own purpose, her own arc and more than held her own.  Whereas the reviews for the Spectre pretty much say the two main females roles exist for Bond to have somewhere to stick his dick.  Other Bond films have done better than this so why should it get a pass?

Though, after the misogynistic Skyfall --- with Bond getting his rocks off with a desperate scared former child sex slave ending with him impotently watching her executed just to save his own ass seconds later to triumphant Bond music, to the female head of Mi6 being killed off because of Bond's incompetence to be replaced by a male M with failed field agent Monyepenny now relegated to his secretary as Bond is rewarded for getting his boss killed - all wrapped up in everything is as it should be again in the Old Boys club coda  --- anything might be an improvement.

Well, when you put it like that...

• Like 2

I haven't seen every Bond movie but the last 3 films have all featured the death of a female character that serves as angst for him.

Bond, the character, is sexist. Whether the films are is another matter. You could make the case for Skyfall, but you'd struggle to with CR and QoS I think.

• Like 1

I hear they die in like every Bond movie, like really?  :mellow:

It's been way overdone in the Craig era.  Not including Spectre - every woman he's had sex with so far has died.  Luckily for the women around him he hasn't comparatively had a lot of partners.  But he's added to his numbers by getting his female boss killed.  :P 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Bond, the character, is sexist. Whether the films are is another matter. You could make the case for Skyfall, but you'd struggle to with CR and QoS I think.

CR is a great movie but 2 women died after hooking up with Bond in that film. The significant female characters story was entirely about men, Bond and her other boyfriend guy. Literally her only motivator in the whole story has been centered around a man.

• Like 1

CR is a great movie but 2 women died after hooking up with Bond in that film.

But more important than her death was that she felt like a fully formed, respected character, which is the crucial thing when it comes to this particular topic in movies I think. The writers cared about her.

Literally her only motivator in the whole story has been centered around a man.

In of itself that's not necessarily a sexist portrayal, though. There's nothing intrinsically dehumanising about being motivated by past or present love.

Not to mention the nature of the franchise dictates all non-Bond characters inevitably revolve around Bond narratively, even if their motivations may not.

Edited by H8tebox

After re-watching Quantum this summer, I didn't think it was as terrible as I remembered it. Sure, it's still a very flawed film but there's some decent stuff there. I did appreciate that Camille had her own arc and agenda. Only wish they had gotten a stronger actress for the role.

• Like 3

But more important than her death was that she felt like a fully formed, respected character, which is the crucial thing when it comes to this particular topic in movies I think. The writers cared about her.

In of itself that's not necessarily a sexist portrayal, though. There's nothing intrinsically dehumanising about being motivated by past or present love.

Not to mention the nature of the franchise dictates all non-Bond characters inevitably revolve around Bond narratively, even if their motivations may not.

My main issue with Vesper, despite a great performance by Eva Green, is that by the end of the film, the main takeaway I got from her character is that she literally cannot do her job because all she cares about is saving these dudes/love interests in her life. As for the conversation about why Ferguson in MI5 is given a pass, I felt like her character showed that she was a fully competent agent who was going to do her job no matter what and that felt like a more respectful portrayal to me as a woman. 

My main issue with Vesper, despite a great performance by Eva Green, is that by the end of the film, the main takeaway I got from her character is that she literally cannot do her job because all she cares about is saving these dudes/love interests in her life. As for the conversation about why Ferguson in MI5 is given a pass, I felt like her character showed that she was a fully competent agent who was going to do her job no matter what and that felt like a more respectful portrayal to me as a woman. 

You could chalk that up to the source material being written in 1953.

It's been way overdone in the Craig era.  Not including Spectre - every woman he's had sex with so far has died.  Luckily for the women around him he hasn't comparatively had a lot of partners.  But he's added to his numbers by getting his female boss killed.  :P

Not if you think he hooked up with "Eve" after the shaving scene (which, let's face it, would be pretty in character for Bond)... I've heard OG Moneypenny Lois Maxwell had a theory that Bond and Moneypenny had a weekend together, but decided it would never work long-term and it kind of plays like that for the Connery installments.

I don't know if I put M's fate on Bond necessarily...Silva's grudge was really with her more than James. Severine, though, not a great sequence of events in the history of Bond movies.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica