AnthonyJPHer

Weekday Thread | September 23-26

A bit of a better hold for Transformers but yeah this is bad. Even if it has a massive Tuesday increase, it won’t recover the loss this Monday and a poor weekend gave. It’d have to drop phenomenally well this weekend for any chance and Wild Robot will surely stop any good recovery this weekend. 

I’m actually wondering if Garfield is a good comp. Similar openings, but Garfield had no competition in its second weekend and summer weekdays. However it had massive competition in its fourth weekend with Inside Out 2 but managed to have good legs. Transformers has to deal with Wild Robot but Wild Robot is nowhere near as big of a threat or as big of a movie as Inside Out 2 was to Garfield and has basically no competition other than Wild Robot until Moana 2 but this Monday is not encouraging. I’d say 60-70m DOM total. Maybe 85m if it starts recovering but man, if that budget was higher, this would be a massive bomb for Paramount. 

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

TF will be losing PLF this weekend, so regardless of how much of an audience draw TWR is it's gonna have a pretty significant drop

Like, what’re we thinking here? A similar 67% drop to what ROTB had last year? Cus that ain’t good, but even with x2.5 legs like ROTB, that could still potentially end up garnering enough money to make it a “miner” success

either way I’m still confused on how people on Reddit are saying it’s an awful hold. I mean it’s the third best Sunday to Monday drop for an animated September movie, only beaten by Open Season and Abominable. 

Also what would be seen as a good Tuesday number? The (mean) average for all the animated September movies is +27%. It goes down to +22% if you add all the animated movies from Jan to April into that equation but I’m starting to question why I even added them into this

Edited by CheeseWizard

I'd expect a drop probably in the 45-50% range from the true weekend, similar to what Beetlejuice had. So around 11-12m total.

Beetlejuice has also been having some really good Tuesday increases (>45%) so I would expect TFOne to do the same if there's any hope of having decent legs. I wouldn't look too far back for comparisons as Discount Tuesday has only become a real widespread and known promotion in recent years, but Panda 4 also had around 45% Tuesday bumps throughout its box office run.

Edited by AniNate

7 hours ago, AniNate said:

I'd expect a drop probably in the 45-50% range from the true weekend, similar to what Beetlejuice had. So around 11-12m total.

Beetlejuice has also been having some really good Tuesday increases (>45%) so I would expect TFOne to do the same if there's any hope of having decent legs. I wouldn't look too far back for comparisons as Discount Tuesday has only become a real widespread and known promotion in recent years, but Panda 4 also had around 45% Tuesday bumps throughout its box office run.

Fuckkkkk I didn’t know about the discount Tuesday thing. 45% increase for Tuesday seems impossible rn. Honestly the biggest thing it has going for it is that, on average, September animated movies have legs around a mean average of 3.3, and a median of 3.5, with the worst recorded number I could find being legs of 2.9 for Paw Patrol, but that was also the most recent example recorded so it doesn’t bode particularly well. 

So, as long as TFOne ends up somewhere above 2.9 it should theoretically do okay, but I feel like it might end up with legs similar to Rise of the Beasts.

am I doing too much maths? I feel like I’m doing something wrong here

Edited by CheeseWizard

Going off of that Monday number, Beasts-level staying power is the best case scenario. According to The Wrap, only around 30-something percent of the opening weekend audience consist of families, which confirms what I've been suspecting all along: only diehard fans are even giving the movie a chance. And with Wild Robot taking away the families and Joker 2 taking away everyone else, I don't think casual audiences will be seeing this.

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Going off of that Monday number, Beasts-level staying power is the best case scenario. According to The Wrap, only around 30-something percent of the opening weekend audience consist of families, which confirms what I've been suspecting all along: only diehard fans are even giving the movie a chance. And with Wild Robot taking away the families and Joker 2 taking away everyone else, I don't think casual audiences will be seeing this.

Do we know the percent of opening weekend audiences that consist of families for other movies to use as a comparison point? I’m finding it really hard to get those numbers for other movies. 

Edited by CheeseWizard

5 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Wait so it was 1.2m on Monday, and it’s 2m today? That’s like, a 65% increase.

this movie is stupid what the fuck is going on  

Dude, movies aimed at families usually have stronger discount Tuesdays because they opt for cheaper tickets. 

I'm sorry, but the movie isn't stupid because it had a 66% increase from Monday.