kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Thursday Previews | 1.95M THE WILD ROBOT | 0.77M MEGALOPOLIS

Think you can sort of estimate what impact Helene had on the overall box office by looking at the difference between BJ's 9/11-9/12 hold and 9/25-26. Dropped 9% the former frame while dropping 12.5% the latter. So overall yesterday was probably depressed by about 3.5% due to the hurricane  

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

That’s why studios release more than one trailer, as well as various ads. Plus the cast doing promo to promote the talking animal film. They didn’t hire Pedro Pascal and Catherine O’Hara to bark and quack.

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

The second trailer is full of the animals talking

This might blow your minds but not everyone searches for multiple trailers. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

This might blow your minds but not everyone searches for multiple trailers. :rolleyes:

Said trailers were attached to Despicable Me 4 and Inside Out 2. Pretty sure the majority of families aware about the movie knew what they're getting into.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

That’s why they play them in front of movies, YouTube videos, streaming shows, social media, etc.

It’s ok if you didn’t know the animals talk but…I think we’ve established that DreamWorks didn’t exactly keep it a big secret.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Said trailers were attached to Despicable Me 4 and Inside Out 2. Pretty sure the majority of families aware about the movie knew what they're getting into.

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

That’s why they play them in front of movies, YouTube videos, streaming shows, social media, etc.

It’s ok if you didn’t know the animals talk but…I think we’ve established that DreamWorks didn’t exactly keep it a big secret.

Trailer 1 has been out for six months. Plenty of people only saw that trailer.

And not every showing of Despicable Me 4 and Inside Out 2 showed the same trailers 

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

And not every showing of Despicable Me 4 and Inside Out 2 showed the same trailers 

What point are you actually trying to make harping on this? I don't think it really matters whether or not it's a "typical" talking animal movie, it drew the Thursday audience it was gonna get on Thursday regardless of whether they were more heavily promoted in the teaser or not.

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The first released in March and attached to KFP4. The second trailer was released on the 11th of June and attached to the significantly bigger Inside Out 2 and DM4. It also has more views than the first one on YouTube.

The animals talk buddy. It’s a literal fact that they talk. Let’s move on.

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

I'm willing to bet that the Thursday preview number would've been higher if the film had a 100% PLF footprint. 

While the film was showing in PLFs (mainly Dolby and 3D), it didn't take away all the IMAX screens. Megalopolis is commanding a good amount of those screens that would've gone to The Wild Robot. I think even Deadline said that Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is still showing on some late-night PLFs. 

Had The Wild Robot took all the IMAX screens, the Thursday preview number probably would've been somewhere between $2M-$2.5M. Still, this isn't the kind of movie that you see on Thursday night. 

I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't understand people when they say that a kids' movie making almost $2M in Thursday previews in September is bad. I just don't. 

Almost two million in preview numbers for a kids movie in September is great but if you want to know why some people might be a little disappointed by that number just look at the 100s of comments in the Tracking Thread and the numbers tossed out.  Reading tracking thread 3m was probably seen as the low end number by the majority.

1 hour ago, filmpalace said:

It has gained A LOT of traction on TikTok (internationally). It will definitely see some increases this weekend

We'll see. Mojo has the international number at $3,202,041 so the movie is at 8.2M WW heading into the weekend. It should outgross X and Pearl worldwide without too much trouble.

38 minutes ago, AniNate said:

What point are you actually trying to make harping on this? I don't think it really matters whether or not it's a "typical" talking animal movie, it drew the Thursday audience it was gonna get on Thursday regardless of whether they were more heavily promoted in the teaser or not.

My original point was that movies with no humans are a hard sell so they started comparing Wild Robot to Kung Fu Panda. 😆

I didn't think it was a fair comparison judging by the first trailer.

but whatevs.

Edited by grey ghost

Every September opening had their Thursday previews overestimated in the tracking thread - then Beetlejuice did terrific over the weekend and Transformers One/Speak No Evil didn't. We shall see about Wild Robot, but lean towards the former. For next year, worth perhaps building this in to post-summer preview tracking model. Then again, I'm just an observer, not a tracker, so don't mind me.

Joker better hope that it isn't being overestimated because then it might make negative money.

• Like 2

:( Gonna be down to 22 100m films this year if that keeps up. Tough. What I do find interesting is that the consensus before the pandemic had been "there are no bad months anymore, release things anytime!" and I think after the last two years that paradigm might shift back a bit. Between the NFL and the election, it feels like the energy is a bit sapped from movies right now. Obviously Beetlejuice did well, but that was before both the NFL and the debate.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Every September opening had their Thursday previews overestimated in the tracking thread - then Beetlejuice did terrific over the weekend and Transformers One/Speak No Evil didn't. We shall see about Wild Robot, but lean towards the former. For next year, worth perhaps building this in to post-summer preview tracking model. Then again, I'm just an observer, not a tracker, so don't mind me.

Joker better hope that it isn't being overestimated because then it might make negative money.

I dont think we have sufficient data at this point to make concrete projections. The age of BOT able to hone in previews are over.

Joker will disappoint big time. There is no question as pre ticket sales expectations were higher and its doing way worse than last movie based on limited data we have. That is easy to see. I think industry projections next week would provide an accurate view on OW.