kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Thursday Previews | 1.95M THE WILD ROBOT | 0.77M MEGALOPOLIS

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

DreamWorks was as powerful a player as Disney/Pixar were as recently as the early 2010s. They've just lost much of their overall brand power (despite the occasional hit every now and then) since due to too many nonstarters.

DreamWorks never really reached the heights of Disney/Pixar (or Illumination) in terms of box office, prestige, name recognition, etc. They spent most of the 2010s doing sequels and IP films. Their last original film before the pandemic Aboninable, which made less than 200M. The only other two originals were Turbo (280M) and The Croods (590M).

They were very much reliant on the Shrek/Madagascar franchises and children’s book adaptations.

IF did around the same for previews and did $33m. With the hurricane deflating Thursday somewhat, I would guess ~$35m if that number is accurate, which would be a great start considering the budget, lack of competition until Wicked, and WOM.

Edited by Skim Beeble

Honestly, more so than families choosing to opt for sequels than original IP, I think there's a big reason as to why The Wild Robot isn't opening to something like $50M. It's not playing by the usual DreamWorks formula.

There are talking animals voiced by people you recognize, but as popular as Lupita Nyong'o and Pedro Pascal are, they aren't the main selling point for people or families to go see this movie. Compare that to stuff like The Boss Baby, Madagascar, Over the Hedge, Shark Tale, or even 2015's Home when a good portion of the people (preferably adults) are seeing those films because they have a bunch of big name celebrities like Alec Baldwin, Ben Stiller, Steve Carell, Will Smith, and Rihanna voicing characters in them. 

Not only that, but past DreamWorks films like The Boss Baby or Kung Fu Panda had much more appealing hooks/concepts to sell to audiences. As dumb as some of them sound (a kung fu fighting panda or Alec Baldwin playing himself but as a baby), they were weird and eye-catching enough to get people in seats. That combination of celebrities + an interesting hook is what allowed DreamWorks to be successful alongside Pixar and Disney in the 2000s/2010s. 

It's to a point where if the movie being either good or even great, it was really just the cherry on top for them. That's not the case with The Wild Robot. It's almost purely relying on the strength of its amazing buzz (as well as the DreamWorks brand) that started back when the first trailer came out. It's why I see a $30M or so opening as a big win. 

Maybe in pre-Covid times The Wild Robot could've opened much higher, but I still think that it needed a few extra things if it wanted to reach the heights of something like Kung Fu Panda or The Boss Baby. 

• Like 2

Can we at least appreciate the fact that Beetlejuice being #1 for three weeks and now The Wild Robot debuting at the top spot means that the winner of the entirety of September was Catherine O'Hara? :wub:  When will your faves achieve such an accomplishment?

Catherine O Hara GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can we at least appreciate the fact that Beetlejuice being #1 for three weeks and now The Wild Robot debuting at the top spot means that the winner of the entirety of September was Catherine O'Hara? :wub:  When will your faves achieve such an accomplishment?

Catherine O Hara GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

It's crazy how Hollywood didn't know what to do with her after the Home Alone movies bc rewatching the original Beetlejuice as an adult, what struck me was that she's the best thing in it and deserved a BSA Oscar nomination. 

20 minutes ago, tupek said:

Considering this is not a movie about humans in a city but a movie about a robot and animals in the wild, those are good numbers

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I expected less than 30 million OW.

It's a movie with no humans about a robot in the wilderness..

The trailers were beautiful though just not exactly what little kids gravitate towards generally speaking.

???

People, especially kids, LOVE talking animals…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Original IP = Hard Sell

Movie With No Humans = Extra Hard Sell

With the exception of The Incredibles, the biggest movies/franchises from Pixar doesn't have humans as leads though. As for Dreamworks, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar are more popular than HTYD. Illumination got Despecable Me but the Minions movies did around the same too.