kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Thursday Previews | 1.95M THE WILD ROBOT | 0.77M MEGALOPOLIS

13 minutes ago, tupek said:

Talking animals movies is the most prostituted theme in animation and that doesnt guarantee a hit, especially nowadays. Especially in the wild

It’s “prostituted” because it’s super popular and very universal.

This is genuinely the first time I’ve seen people try to claim that people, especially literal children, don’t like talking animals lmao.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It’s “prostituted” because it’s super popular and very universal.

This is genuinely the first time I’ve seen people try to claim that people, especially literal children, don’t like talking animals lmao.

What’s your fursona bb?

• ...wtf 1

Not dooming yet as I think the hurricane hurt and I still think even though TWR will eclipse TFO, it was fucking stupid for them to be a week apart as they would always eat into eachs other margins somewhat (TFO’s domestic and TWR’s OW), its still likely for 30-35M, which would still be very great. 40M is a bit of a longshot though.

Thursday sales for TWR were not looking super awesome at my theaters, seemed like maybe more urban locales were drawing more interest and skewing tracking comps higher. And like I said the hurricane probably did deflate sales quite a bit in the impacted regions. Atlanta and Tampa are pretty big markets.

34 minutes ago, Maggie said:

DreamWorks Animation/Universal’s The Wild Robot grossed $1.95M yesterday from showtimes that began at 2PM in 3,000 theaters.

Lionsgate’s release of Francis Ford Coppola/Zoetrope’s Megalopolis did $770k.

https://deadline.com/2024/09/box-office-megalopolis-the-wild-robot-1236101618/

Well, I guess good for Lionsgate that they won't be the ones feeling the pain of Megalopolis (unsurprisingly) failing since they only acquired it.

Out of the gate, great PostTrak for The Wild Robot with 5 stars from general audiences, 4 1/2 stars from parents and five stars from kids under 12. General audiences numbered 72%, parents repped 18% and kids 10% last night. More men with the general audience at 53%, while moms outnumbered dads, 58% to 42%; and kids under 12 were mostly girls at 53% as expected.

Edited by efialtes76

So, I was sort of right in my assessment of a 30-35m OW but I guess we’ll see if I was actually right over the weekend.

But what’s interesting is that this is considered a bad or disappointing opening. This has a budget way lower than Elemental, stellar WOM and the source material is mostly unknown to general audiences. I think anything more than 30m is a win considering legs. Even IF with a similar opening weekend legged out to 110m 

Its internal mult sure better be bigger than KFP4's at this point is all I'll say.

In that context a $35mil opening does look better than if it was from a weak increase from Thursday previews. Still hoping for more like $40mil though, under that would pretty much kill my club chances. It should be a solid profit for Dreamworks anyway, and given Bad Guys is getting a sequel next year I don't think any Escapes or Protects adaptations are in danger at the moment.

8 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

So, I was sort of right in my assessment of a 30-35m OW but I guess we’ll see if I was actually right over the weekend.

But what’s interesting is that this is considered a bad or disappointing opening. This has a budget way lower than Elemental, stellar WOM and the source material is mostly unknown to general audiences. I think anything more than 30m is a win considering legs. Even IF with a similar opening weekend legged out to 110m 

Just because we assume it'll have legs, we have to see if it actually will. As it is now, the numbers aren't good, but we'll know if it'll have legs in a few days. Heck, if weekend estimates go up, we'll know even sooner.

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

As it is now, the numbers aren't good, but we'll know if it'll have legs in a few days.

I mean, these are fine Thursday previews in a vacuum; still bigger than IF's. They're just not what the more bullish tracking comps indicated. Honestly not much reason to think it won't have legs, and there are all kinds of external circumstances to explain why the Thursday number isn't bigger.

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

???

People, especially kids, LOVE talking animals…

I agree that talking animals are pretty popular with kids.

In my case, I've more doubts about the robot being appealing for kids. The design seems boring.